Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

I got my sand in the mail from Premium Aquatics. I can't wait to use it! This Tropic Eden miniflakes and reeflakes stuff is amazing. First impressions; some people say that the reeflakes are too big but I think they are just the right size. Very nice and white with little red bits tossed in for some interesting color. I have a 30lb bag of the reeflakes and a 20lb bag of the "live" mini flakes. I plan on using all 30lbs of the reeflakes and at least 10lbs of the mini flakes, though I may end up using it all if I need some more to get my desired 2-3inch sand bed.

I know this thread is seriously lacking some pics. I will take some of the stand once if is ready to be stained.

• Like 2

Pics of the DIY stand a buddy of mine is helping me build. Dimensions are 25x25x36. Some might say it's overkill, but I am happy knowing that water nor the weight of the tank will effect the integrity of the stand. Next step is to get some plywood, skin it, stain it, and then seal it.

photo-1.jpg

photo-1-1.jpg

That is one well built stand! Seriously, an african bull elephant could stand on it!

Bad azz stand ain't nothing gonna break this tank. Lol

After changing stands not once, but twice, on my 60 cube I want to make sure I never have a problem with this tank. I would like it to be up for the long haul.

After changing stands not once, but twice, on my 60 cube I want to make sure I never have a problem with this tank. I would like it to be up for the long haul.

Better paint that thing instead of staining it then, KILZ it up and then coat the sucker in oil based black :D

........and then 4 coats of spar marine poly!

I probably have some Fiberglass and Gel Coat left over from finishing my sailboat last summer you could always coat the ply with that. Then it would be perfectly water proof AND glossy.

I was thinking of painting the inside with a white oil-based paint coat and then sealing it with a spray acrylic/polyurethane and staining the outside and then doing a couple coats of regular polyurethane. How does that sound?

I was thinking of painting the inside with a white oil-based paint coat and then sealing it with a spray acrylic/polyurethane and staining the outside and then doing a couple coats of regular polyurethane. How does that sound?

Sounds like an awesome plan. I was kidding, I'm sure whatever you do will work out. Nothing like paranoia about the stand do drive overkill.

I have never try to paint the inside but more power to you if you know how. I play it safe and paint it outside in the bottom. If you did with 1/4 white star board it's kinda difficult to keep it from floating up.

Kinda like an Oreo cookie? :lol:

Seriously, sound like a plan, I always paint and seal the inside, sometimes it gets wetter in there than the outside. ;)

Sounds like an awesome plan. I was kidding, I'm sure whatever you do will work out. Nothing like paranoia about the stand do drive overkill.

:D

I have never try to paint the inside but more power to you if you know how. I play it safe and paint it outside in the bottom. If you did with 1/4 white star board it's kinda difficult to keep it from floating up.

I think the way I have outlined, or something close too it, will work well. Some kind of paint for the initial seal with a top coat layer to make sure no water gets through. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Kinda like an Oreo cookie? :lol:

Seriously, sound like a plan, I always paint and seal the inside, sometimes it gets wetter in there than the outside. ;)

Exactly. I am trying to avoid problems that my last tank had.

New name, new tank - wtf have I missed?

Yup, I got bored with the old one :) I had to take my old tank down due to some water damage to the MDF stand. I can't wait to set the new tank up!

Nice stand, I painted mine white with exterior grade latex paint after priming w kilz primer. This helps two fold, protect and increase visibility inside the stand.

Thanks. It seems kilz is often recommended for helping to seal the inside of an aquarium stand. I am going to look into it as an option.

I went to visit what was left of my livestock from the emergency break down of my 60g cube. I still have my monti setosa, green slimmer, blue stag, red/blue table, blue echinata colonies along with my goby, ornate leopard wrasse, and yellow coris wrasse and clam. I lost my pink lemonade, tricolor, green mille, purple nana, pearlberry, cali tort, rainbow poci colonies. I am super bummed about losing some 3 year old large colonies but grateful that I am not starting my new build from scratch. I will need to find someone with a lot of frags to get a pack together to help stock the new tank.

In other news the stand is almost finished :D I will have some pics up in the next few days once the polyurethane dries and I get the hardware on.

Edited by Arkayology

:happydance:

IMG_0171.jpgIMG_0170.jpg

Hey Indy, you should decorate that stand to make it look like it came from an Egyptian or Mayan pyamid. :)

That would be really cool lol. I could make it a "Temple of Doom" themed stand! Sadly, I don't think that would go over well with the lady :(

Edited by Arkayology
Nice! Got any rock yet for aquascaping?

I have half of my old marcorocks from the 60 sitting in a bucket. It has been in their with a mj400 without a heater for two weeks. I also have some rocks with corals in a friend's tank. Between the rock and bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only I am confident that I will have a minimal cycle.

nice man, what size sump?

Thanks. I am no carpenter, but I think it turned out alright. I may add some trim down the road. For a sump I have a simple 10g for now. I think I am going to order a fancy sump around christmas though. I have a 24'' x15'' space for a sump so I should have plenty of options. I may even buy a 20H and DIY myself a killer sump.

Edited by Arkayology