inTank Media Baskets

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Tank Details
Custom 24x24x16 rimless tank drilled three times (x2 1'' drains for herbie style drain and x1 3/4'' return)
Custom acrylic sump 15.5''x15.5''x16'' with refugium
Coral Compulsion par30 refugium bulb
Radion G3 in Summer/ ATI 6x24 Sunpower during Winter

Maxspect Gyre XF-130

SCA-301 skimmer

Tunze Osmolator
Eheim-Jager 150w Heater
Mag 7 return
TLF Phosban 150 reactor with GFO
Neptune Systems Apex Controller (EB8, ph/temp probe, ALD, AFS, DOS)
Live rock from marcorocks.com (excellent stuff)
Tropic Eden reef sand (50/50 split between reeflakes and mini flakes)
Water changes with sediment filtered NSW

Ca, Alk, and Mg Supplements
Ca and Alk are taken care of by B-Ionic 2-part while my Mg needs are met using Kent TechM.

Feeding:
I feed the fish daily alternating with Rod's Food, NLS pellets, spirulina loaded brine shrimp, PE mysis, bloodworms, and unraosted nori, all soaked in garlic. I also feed reef chili, KZ sponge power, KZ coral vitalizer (3 drops x2 weekly), and TLF Acropower (1ml daily).

All Pictures are taken with a Canon t2i with stock lens.

FTS History:
10/14/2012
IMG_1074.jpg

11/04/2012
IMG_1108.jpg

11/14/2012
IMG_1173.jpg

12/05/2012
IMG_1286.jpg

01/02/2013
IMG_1365_zps6bf1c957.jpg

02/10/2013
IMG_1422.jpg

03/11/2003
IMG_1490.jpg

04/09/2013
IMG_1532.jpg

05/10/2013
IMG_1578.jpg

06/10/2013
IMG_1803.jpg

08/20/2013
IMG_1912.jpg

09/17/13
IMG_2177.jpg
11/30/13
IMG_2307.jpg

1/21/14
IMG_2477.jpg
3/20/14
IMG_2603.jpg
5/10/14

IMG_2717.jpg
06/11/14

IMG_2729.jpg

08/01/14
IMG_2751.jpg

10/17/14
IMG_2809.jpg

12/14/14

IMG_3318.jpg

02/06/15

IMG_3358.jpg

05/11/15

IMG_3405.jpg

06/06/2015

IMG_3412.jpg

Edited by Arkayology
  • Like 28
Ah, come on Indy....do tell.

;)

this is gonna be sick. i have a feeling i already know how its gonna be

What do you think it's going to be?

why did you change your name?

I made "SoCalDude" after I had a few beers one night and decided I wanted to have a reef tank and join a forum. It was not that great.

Do tell.......

All in good time.

I got my order of Tropic Eden sand today. I'm doing a 60/40 ratio of reef flakes to mini flakes. I think it will work well for my leopard wrasses yet not blow around when I crank up the vortech mp10s. A local is building the stand as well. It should all be ready by the time the tank arrives.

All in good time.

I got my order of Tropic Eden sand today. I'm doing a 60/40 ratio of reef flakes to mini flakes. I think it will work well for my leopard wrasses yet not blow around when I crank up the vortech mp10s. A local is building the stand as well. It should all be ready by the time the tank arrives.

Estimated arrival date? Multiple leopard wrasses. Must be at least ~40 gallons with a 2 inch sand bed.... I'm guessing 24x36x18, peninsula style, 3 sides starfire,coast to coast external overflow, bean-animal drain, custom sump. At least that's what I'm building for my next tank :D

Edited by pyronus

Ok! Enough games, I'll spill the beans. :D

I ordered a 24x24x16 (40g) rimless, corner overflow (12''x5'') drilled three times (2x 1'' for the herbie drains and 1x 3/4'' for the return), black silicon. The tank is being made by LeeMar. I should have it in 2 weeks or so. I made sure the overflow box has enough room to do a durso in case I have trouble with the Herbie style. I will be reusing all the old equipment from my 60cube so the brunt of the costs are with the tank and stand.

Estimated arrival date? Multiple leopard wrasses. Must be at least ~40 gallons with a 2 inch sand bed.... I'm guessing 24x36x18, peninsula style, 3 sides starfire,coast to coast external overflow, bean-animal drain, custom sump. At least that's what I'm building for my next tank :D

You are in the right ballpark pyronus :lol: . I didn't spring for the starfire glass though, but you are right that I made it 40g. You were also spot on with the sand and stocking heh; I wanted a 2-3'' sand bed for 2 or 3 leopards :) You know me well. If what you described is your next tank, I can't wait to see it.

Haha nice man. You know what sound that is? Victory. I can't wait to see it come together Indy. I think I'm going to let my 20H fill in for a year before I upgrade. My tank will probably be a DIY living room dining room separator. I'm not sure of what walls I can tear apart in the condo, but being a mech e. I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough.

i was close. :D

Ya, you had me pegged too. I am in love with the 24x24 footprint.

Haha nice man. You know what sound that is? Victory. I can't wait to see it come together Indy. I think I'm going to let my 20H fill in for a year before I upgrade. My tank will probably be a DIY living room dining room separator. I'm not sure of what walls I can tear apart in the condo, but being a mech e. I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough.

That is going to be awesome. Not only will you get a larger tank but you will get to smash stuff in the process.

Ok! Enough games, I'll spill the beans. :D

I ordered a 24x24x16 (40g) rimless, corner overflow (12''x5'') drilled three times (2x 1'' for the herbie drains and 1x 3/4'' for the return), black silicon. The tank is being made by LeeMar. I should have it in 2 weeks or so. I made sure the overflow box has enough room to do a durso in case I have trouble with the Herbie style. I will be reusing all the old equipment from my 60cube so the brunt of the costs are with the tank and stand.

You are in the right ballpark pyronus :lol: . I didn't spring for the starfire glass though, but you are right that I made it 40g. You were also spot on with the sand and stocking heh; I wanted a 2-3'' sand bed for 2 or 3 leopards :) You know me well. If what you described is your next tank, I can't wait to see it.

Way cool , Mr. Jones! Looks like this is well thought out! Can't wait to see what ya do with it!

Way cool , Mr. Jones! Looks like this is well thought out! Can't wait to see what ya do with it!

Ya, I had a lot of time to rethink how I wanted to do the restart. The plumbing is going to be changed up a lot and will hopefully turn out better. I'm also lookIng forward to having a stand that is bulletproof.

Oh Lord Yes Bro!

How did you changed your name? Unbelievable But also so excited to see you going with a 40g. I can't wait to even see one picture of it. i was about to ripped mine apart but decided to hold up for awhile.

I have been hearing more and more about the Tropic Eden sand. I am debating between that (probably just mini flakes) or Caribsea Fiji Pink. I can't make up my mind! Care to chime in?

Also this is gonna be sweet. I love shallow tanks.

I have been hearing more and more about the Tropic Eden sand. I am debating between that (probably just mini flakes) or Caribsea Fiji Pink. I can't make up my mind! Care to chime in?

I'll let you know when I get it. I'll let you all know how the sand handles my mp10s and how the fish do with it.

Oh Lord Yes Bro!

How did you changed your name? Unbelievable But also so excited to see you going with a 40g. I can't wait to even see one picture of it. i was about to ripped mine apart but decided to hold up for awhile.

Don't you worry. I will be taking a ton of pics once I get the tank. I will try and get some pics of the stand posted once it is finished.

I'm thinking dimensions for the stand should be 25x25x36. Making the stand 25x25'' should give me a bit a wiggle room yet make sure that the 24x24 tank is supported by the 2x4s. If a 2x4's actual dimensions are 3.5x1.5, this means that an extra inch in length and width would equal out to a half inch of stand top exposed on all sides around the tank (25-24/2=.5). I think this will be nice to have yet will still provide more than enough support for the tank.

Since it is rimless and the weight is distributed evenly on not on the sides, I guess it doesn't matter too much. Speaking of that, what kind of padding have you all used for under your rimless tanks? I have read that some people use foam insulation? I have some styrofoam sheets that I could cut up. Would that work out well?