Innovative Marine Aquariums

How much do YOU dose?

ReefNoobie21

ReefNoobie21

ok i understand that WC's are good. im not disagreeing but everyones starting to sound like a broken record lol. what takes 10 mins for you may take more for me to actually go out and get the water. and im testing for calc already. im not a total noob but i am a noob on the product. lets revert back to the original question. if you dose what do you dose?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 tablespoon of baking soda each day

Around 20ml of highly saturated calcium solution (Kent turbo calcium dissolved into ro/di until it becomes fully saturated)

4 drops of kz potassium iodine fluoride

1 tablespoon of brightwell magnesium powder every week

jedimasterben
ok i understand that WC's are good. im not disagreeing but everyones starting to sound like a broken record lol. what takes 10 mins for you may take more for me to actually go out and get the water. and im testing for calc already. im not a total noob but i am a noob on the product. lets revert back to the original question. if you dose what do you dose?

You've seen many replies to the thread saying not to dose what you aren't testing for. If you are not planning on doing water changes, you need to invest some serious bucks into good test kits before you start dosing anything. Wait until you see something dropping, read up on what product to use, how much to use to bring you back up to 'normal' levels, and then dose. Before that, just hearing what people dose in general is kinda pointless. Every tank is different. I very, very highly doubt that you will need to dose anything at all, but only time will tell.

I dose Sodium bicarbonate 3,5 ml-Magnesium Cloride+Magnesium Sulphate+Iodine(very small consentration) 1,5ml-Calcium Chloride Dihydrate+Strondium,Barium complex(also very small consentration)2 ml daily with a dosing pump to achieve NSW levels with Balling Light method.

I also use Fauna Marin Amino Acids and Vit C about 1ml daily also KZ coral vitalizer 3-5 drops daily and coral snow bi-weekly.

I m sure I overdose AA and Vit C but thats not a problem cause the corals love it since I run a ULNS.

Water Changes 10% religiously with low dKH levels TM pro-KZ reefers best-or natural sea water(7-7,5dKHmax).

ReefNoobie21
You've seen many replies to the thread saying not to dose what you aren't testing for. If you are not planning on doing water changes, you need to invest some serious bucks into good test kits before you start dosing anything. Wait until you see something dropping, read up on what product to use, how much to use to bring you back up to 'normal' levels, and then dose. Before that, just hearing what people dose in general is kinda pointless. Every tank is different. I very, very highly doubt that you will need to dose anything at all, but only time will tell.

Is anyone not reading my posts? Im testing for calc already, and in the title it says I'm asking about bionic two part. I'm not a total noob, but I am a noob about this product I purchased and you're telling me to do research on things well this IS my research. I'm just looking for information, not really people telling me what to do or not do. I'm not trying to get mad but it starts to get frustrating when instead of people posting about what is being asked they go on and tell people what they should and shouldn't do. Basically going off topic.

If your asking about the 2 part solution you bought then I can tell you its not a bad product. A lot of people, esp nano users, use it for 2 part dosing. you will need an alkalinity test kit, tho, so you're not overdosing it.

What we are telling you, tho, is asking what we dose for our tanks is pretty useless. every tank is different, we keep different corals, we use different salts, have different WC schedules, we have different needs and goals towards our tanks. That's why all of us sound like a broken record and are telling you what you should be doing.

*edit: typing on a tablet sucks, correcting my grammar

jedimasterben
If your askingg about the 2 part solution you bought then I can tell you its not a bad product. A lot of people, esp nano users, Use it for 2 part dosing. you will need a alkalinity tet kit tho so your not overdosing on it

What we are telling you tho is asking what we dose for our tanks is pretty uselss every tank is different, we keep different corals, we use different salts, have different WC schedules, we have diffent needs and goals towards our tanks. That's why all of us sound like a broken record and tell you what you should be doing

+1 all of this.

I'm the other extreme, LOL.

Brightwell Aquatics (Ca, ALK, Mg, Sr, Fe, Iodine, Amino Acids, MB7, Reef Fuel, GAC)

Zeovit (Coral Booster, Flatworm Stop, K-Balance Strong, Coral Snow, Xtra, Sponge Power)

Jesus H christ dude, you're like a fish stores wet dream coming in there to buy all those damn chemicals...Honestly what made you think to initially purchase ALL of those chemicals?

Do you test for all of those chemicals?

Is anyone not reading my posts? Im testing for calc already, and in the title it says I'm asking about bionic two part. I'm not a total noob, but I am a noob about this product I purchased and you're telling me to do research on things well this IS my research. I'm just looking for information, not really people telling me what to do or not do. I'm not trying to get mad but it starts to get frustrating when instead of people posting about what is being asked they go on and tell people what they should and shouldn't do. Basically going off topic.

Yes were reading your posts. You have not posted your Calcium readings which is the only thing your testing. I would imagine with what is in your tank your not having to restore calcium through dosing. What size is your tank? You say it's hard to get water, why not buy four 7 gallon jugs from walmart, go to LFS fill them up and you should be good for a few weeks depending on your tank size. We need more info here. What size is your tank, what livestock do you have, what is your calc reading. All the money for testing supplies and dosing you could buy a refurbished RODI unit from spectrepur make your own water. You do not need to dose. You don't give a valid reason for dosing, besides not being able to change water often. You can go for 3 weeks to a month without changing if your trace elements are not dropping. Also, what do you top off with since you have not time to get water for water changes?

My 20h stocked with some rather large sps colonies consumes on average 5 to 10 ppm of calcium/ day and .1 to .2 dKh worth of alkalinity drop per day. I dose according to these numbers which I have tracked every other day for a full month before using any type of additive. As I add more sps to my tank I assume my consumption will increase. I also dose about 5 mL/ week of home brew mg cl solution based on testing for mag level.

I'm interested in using some other supliments like potassium but I haven't started that yet.

40 breeder loaded up w/ sps. I dose 40ml of ca, and 25ml of alk daily (bm dosing pump). I use a fair amount of other things as well. Mb7 daily, 1 drop of lugols twice a week, reef chili every other day, and coral amino daily. I also do 4g wc's every 3 days (most of the time).

Im curious what everyone does in their tanks, what size tank and what inhabitants? i just received my order of this and previously i been using purple up to supplement and i think id probably use the two part but im tryign to gauge what to dose.

I have 2 acro frags, monti frag, zoa frag and two candy cane frags.

I have set up a new Nano-Cube 12 G tank (2wks.). The only thing I have in there is ab. 7 lbs of LR and a small CUC (see signiature). I have been measuring pH, salinity, temperature and calcium levels daily. All but the calcium is at the recommended levels. The algae bloom cycle is finished. I just did a 15% water change and tested the water levels yesterday.

This past Friday I finally purchased the two part B-ionic calcium. Why? After the algae bloom the calcium levels were really low (160 ppm) and the coralline algae started losing its color. So I started adding the recommend amount of Purple Up daily for a week and the calcium levels did not go up from 160 ppm. I have my water tested at the LFS weekly to confirm my test results. I also had them test my alkalinity. It was also at the recommend level. Since the PU was not working to raise My Atlantis' calcium levels to recommended levels I decided to try the B-ionic. At the recommended doses it raised calcium levels up to 300 ppm after first 24 hrs. I am sure the LR will continue to absorb Ca so the coralline algae continues to grow.

I will continue to use the B-ionic until calcium levels level out and THEN will start adding LPS slowly.

I have read that if magnesium levels are too low that most of the added calcium falls out of the water as a precipitate. I will ask about this at my LFS on Tuesday. I will also invest in a alkalinity tester.

WOW! ;) This is a long reply but I hope it helps answer your question.

jedimasterben
I have set up a new Nano-Cube 12 G tank (2wks.). The only thing I have in there is ab. 7 lbs of LR and a small CUC (see signiature). I have been measuring pH, salinity, temperature and calcium levels daily. All but the calcium is at the recommended levels. The algae bloom cycle is finished. I just did a 15% water change and tested the water levels yesterday.

This past Friday I finally purchased the two part I-Bionic calcium. Why? After the algae bloom the calcium levels were really low (160 ppm) and the coralline algae started losing its color. So I started adding the recommend amount of Purple Up daily for a week and the calcium levels did not go up from 160 ppm. I have my water tested at the LFS weekly to confirm my test results. I also had them test my alkalinity. It was also at the recommend level. Since the PU was not working to raise My Atlantis' calcium levels to recommended levels I decided to try the I-Bionic. At the recommended doses it raised calcium levels up to 300 ppm after first 24 hrs. I am sure the LR will continue to absorb Ca so the coralline algae continues to grow.

I will continue to use the I-Bionic until calcium levels level out and THEN will start adding LPS slowly.

I have read that if magnesium levels are too low that most of the added calcium falls out of the water as a precipitate. I will ask about this at my LFS on Tuesday. I will also invest in a alkalinity tester.

WOW! ;) This is a long reply but I hope it helps answer your question.

If your calcium level is 160ppm in a new tank with zero livestock, something is horribly wrong. Purchase this test kit set and figure out what your levels are on your own, I'm thinking your LFS said it was low so they could sell you something.

If your calcium level is 160ppm in a new tank with zero livestock, something is horribly wrong. Purchase this test kit set and figure out what your levels are on your own, I'm thinking your LFS said it was low so they could sell you something.

UH OH I have been testing with API Calcium test kit. I like the pro kit you linked to and will get that next.

Noob Question #1: Doesn't the live rock use up calcium when the coralline algae is growing?

Noob Question #2: If you start with no calcium in a new tank where will it come from if you do not add it? :huh:

Yes were reading your posts. You have not posted your Calcium readings which is the only thing your testing. I would imagine with what is in your tank your not having to restore calcium through dosing. What size is your tank? You say it's hard to get water, why not buy four 7 gallon jugs from walmart, go to LFS fill them up and you should be good for a few weeks depending on your tank size. We need more info here. What size is your tank, what livestock do you have, what is your calc reading. All the money for testing supplies and dosing you could buy a refurbished RODI unit from spectrepur make your own water. You do not need to dose. You don't give a valid reason for dosing, besides not being able to change water often. You can go for 3 weeks to a month without changing if your trace elements are not dropping. Also, what do you top off with since you have not time to get water for water changes?

Bump... Only because I need to see the answer to the above questions

UH OH I have been testing with API Calcium test kit. I like the pro kit you linked to and will get that next.

Noob Question #1: Doesn't the live rock use up calcium when the coralline algae is growing?

Noob Question #2: If you start with no calcium in a new tank where will it come from if you do not add it? :huh:

You will get it from your water changes. Either from your salt mix or natural sea water. Whatever you choose to use.

jedimasterben

1) no, live rock does not use calcium. Coralline algae will not use up that much calcium in your system, most likely it won't ever, even if every surface was covered in it.

2) You can't start with 'no calcium'. I do not know of a salt mix that has less than 380ppm of calcium. In a new tank, you will have levels of at least that and will only fall when there are many LPS or SPS corals in your system that are healthy.

Where did you get your water? I would stop dosing now until you get a proper test kit. API kits aren't worth their weight in dog poo when it comes to anything other than pH, ammonia, and nitrite.

1) no, live rock does not use calcium. Coralline algae will not use up that much calcium in your system, most likely it won't ever, even if every surface was covered in it.

2) You can't start with 'no calcium'. I do not know of a salt mix that has less than 380ppm of calcium. In a new tank, you will have levels of at least that and will only fall when there are many LPS or SPS corals in your system that are healthy.

Where did you get your water? I would stop dosing now until you get a proper test kit. API kits aren't worth their weight in dog poo when it comes to anything other than pH, ammonia, and nitrite.

wait?????? coraline algae "doesnt" use any calcium??? coraline algae feeds off of calcium as it main source, along with light.

as stated get yourself a good calcium and alkalinity test kit (i use salifert) then start from there. until then i would not does anything until you have determnined your water params

jedimasterben
wait?????? coraline algae "doesnt" use any calcium??? coraline algae feeds off of calcium as it main source, along with light.

Please read my reply again.

i usually does more calc than alk....just keep an eye on both when dosing more calc

+1, keep a very close watch on both parameters, and if neither seems to be rising with dosing, keep track of magnesium, as well.

thanks for the replies i got alk and mag pretty stable but notice ive had to up the dosing alot compare to alk on my cal

just making sure nothing funky was going on with my tank

Coralline algae will not use up that much calcium in your system, most likely it won't ever, even if every surface was covered in it.

thats what i was refering to. unless you just meant the live rock wont...

Archived