Coral Vue Hydros

I may have a monster on my hands...

Kfmmartin19

set up a video camera at the back of the tank where you found the claws. As you remove rocks and aquascape the camera has a chance to capture movement or something. You can set up your phone to record also. Prop it against something and go for it!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
set up a video camera at the back of the tank where you found the claws. As you remove rocks and aquascape the camera has a chance to capture movement or something. You can set up your phone to record also. Prop it against something and go for it!

And when it pinches his finger and he screams like a girl.........youtube gold :lol:

And when it pinches his finger and he screams like a girl.........youtube gold :lol:

Yes that video would go viral for sure, especially if we can see the Monster ! (well if there is one)

After all this, there had better be a monster! If not, I'm gonna be very sad :(

I'll try to set up my phone.

Hey everyone. Finished re-aquascaping and saw no trace of the monster. However, I took out the claws while I was in there and did a photo-shoot. The tops of the claws are smooth, not bumpy or hairy, so stone crab? I will try to get the pics up tomorrow. I am feeling very sick and I'm not sure I can get out of bed again tonight. Hopefully this message made sense lol. I am really not feeling well. Goodnight everyone.

I still think someone threw those claws in your tank. IMO. W-

The Monster got out of the tank and is now roaming around in his bedroom waiting for a major move on him I think :)

internet_trolls_by_vanisher72-d3a5cd9.jpg

+1

internet_trolls_by_vanisher72-d3a5cd9.jpg

You people...I can't post for one day...and you all turn on me.

Anyway, here are some pics I took of the claws.

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

In comparison with my thumb...I have very big hands.

Looks like a stone crab? What do u guys think?

You people...I can't post for one day...and you all turn on me.

Anyway, here are some pics I took of the claws.

Looks like a stone crab? What do u guys think?

Wow those are some claws ... are you sure they did not come from Red Lobster, and that someone put them in your tank since you never saw the "real" thing ... just saying ...

Deleted User 3
Holy poop! That looks like fresh meat to me.

Are you SURE you didn't find the monster?!

+1 :S I'm afraid... glad it's him and not me! I barely like to pick up my hermits cuz they pinch me lol

They are stone crab claws. I am going with the consensus that there is a bit of a prank going on here. If I am wrong, please forgive me. In your defense, I can tell you that my emerald crab was reaching quite a sizable proportion. When molting occurred, I would find his whole shell in most cases. There was a time when I would find claws separate from the rest of the shell. He got so big, that I started to wonder where he would hide when I couldn't find him. They can borough under the sand bed and go undetected. They can hide on the underside of the slightest rock without being seen.

I say lure it out with some food and watch for him to show up. You should have done that by now. If there is a live crab in there, he will come out. A soft shell crab will go into hiding for a few days. The possibility of you having one hiding for a length of time is feasible, and if he doesn't appear for the snack that you present, it's quite possible that he died and the rest of his skeleton is buried by sand. Snails will suck the remains out of the shell, and the skeleton will fall apart.

I like the thumb comparison!LOL

Why thank you ;)

Holy poop! That looks like fresh meat to me.

Are you SURE you didn't find the monster?!

104% sure, ma'am.

Wow those are some claws ... are you sure they did not come from Red Lobster, and that someone put them in your tank since you never saw the "real" thing ... just saying ...

99.99999999% sure this is not a prank. U guys wouldn't really understand because u don't my family...they r not the pranking type haha. Also, they were in a really obscure back corner wedged half underneath some rocks.

+1 :S I'm afraid... glad it's him and not me! I barely like to pick up my hermits cuz they pinch me lol

Haha same. I have the same problem with hermits lol.

They are stone crab claws. I am going with the consensus that there is a bit of a prank going on here. If I am wrong, please forgive me. In your defense, I can tell you that my emerald crab was reaching quite a sizable proportion. When molting occurred, I would find his whole shell in most cases. There was a time when I would find claws separate from the rest of the shell. He got so big, that I started to wonder where he would hide when I couldn't find him. They can borough under the sand bed and go undetected. They can hide on the underside of the slightest rock without being seen.

I say lure it out with some food and watch for him to show up. You should have done that by now. If there is a live crab in there, he will come out. A soft shell crab will go into hiding for a few days. The possibility of you having one hiding for a length of time is feasible, and if he doesn't appear for the snack that you present, it's quite possible that he died and the rest of his skeleton is buried by sand. Snails will suck the remains out of the shell, and the skeleton will fall apart.

I really want to catch it! But I am so busy now...I spend all my time doing crap for school or practicing baseball. It took me literally 2 days to find 10 minutes to post these pics! Maybe sometime on a slow weekend I can try.

Stone crabs 'will' munch on certain corals. If you haven't noticed any loss in your stock, then perhaps someone did take the liberty to play a prank.

randythefishdude
I know that no one believes me...but there was no prank. There has to be some other explanation.

as my dad used to say .......i think you pulled a fast one :P

i feel bad if your telling the truth ...i found a 6 inch long feather worm tube .but there was never a worm ...true story B)

as my dad used to say .......i think you pulled a fast one :P

i feel bad if your telling the truth ...i found a 6 inch long feather worm tube .but there was never a worm ...true story B)

I am telling the truth. I know no one believes me for some reason...but I am. The only thing I can think of is that this just happened to get dislodged from the rock the other day, and there is no crab. Based on the info and pics, can someone verify the likeliness of this? Or maybe I just have the most reclusive, well-mannered stone crab in the world in my tank.

Rollermonkey

Those don't really look like they were molted.

The rest of the molt would have to be in there too, crabs don't typically shed part of the shell then not any of the rest.

You need to put a chunk of fish, such as a silverside in a place that you can watch. You don't need to catch it right away, you just need to see if there's something in there. If you have hermits in there, and they are the only response to the food offered, somebody (not necessarily your family) pranked you.

I don't believe you have a monstrous crab in your tank simply because if you did, you would see missing stuff, whether polyps, snails or whatever. A crab that big needs to eat SOMETHING, and it can't be living off the scraps that are left behind by everything else.

That's why I think this is a prank.

It could be living off scraps. I bought a bunch of uncured rock from my LFS for my 10g, and it was only when I was boiling the rock months later that I noticed about 7 or 8 gorilla crabs, each about an inch long. I had never noticed them bothering corals or the lone clown.

Archived