Pod Your Reef

I may have a monster on my hands...

Kfmmartin19

Alright well, I may get the light if I have time. Don't really think I'll need it tho. I have moonlights on the tank so if I put the food at the front there's no way I won't see a 5" crab come and get it! If this does work and I do catch him, can I put him in a breeder net until I find him a home or will this not work? Thanks.

Have you actually ever SEEN the Monster ?

Maybe it is not in the tank anymore and died a long time ago ?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer everyone's questions, no, I have never seen this thing, nor am I entirely convinced it's in my tank. Yesterday I went to look at my tank and where the day before there was nothing, yesterday there were two crab claws and part of an arm that looked like a molt. Do u guys think that a molt could still be perfectly intact after 14 months of it being in my tank without me noticing? Still looking for a logical explanation as to what the heck is going on.

Do we have any proof yet that it's actually alive? Unlike shrimp molts, thick crab molts really don't decay quickly and most things won't eat them. I can still find pieces from my porcelain crab and it's been dead for quite a while.

How long is quite awhile? If this thing is not in my tank then this molt has been around for more than 14 months and still appears to be in great condition.

To answer everyone's questions, no, I have never seen this thing, nor am I entirely convinced it's in my tank. Yesterday I went to look at my tank and where the day before there was nothing, yesterday there were two crab claws and part of an arm that looked like a molt. Do u guys think that a molt could still be perfectly intact after 14 months of it being in my tank without me noticing? Still looking for a logical explanation as to what the heck is going on.

How long is quite awhile? If this thing is not in my tank then this molt has been around for more than 14 months and still appears to be in great condition.

Do you have brothers or sisters that would play a joke on you? Friends? Someone that may have dropped the claws in there when you're not looking? 2 cents . . . W-

About the breeders net, I thought that would work and my answer is no. I used to buy gorilla/stone crabs from my LFS in bulk and tried to keep them in a breeders net, but day one they were all out and loose in my display tank haha. If its just a temporary thing, buy one of these and keep him in there in your tank. Keep a powerhead pointed at the holes in the top to give him fresh water. Its how my LFS keeps track of their sexi shrimp to sell them.

Do you have brothers or sisters that would play a joke on you? Friends? Someone that may have dropped the claws in there when you're not looking? 2 cents . . . W-

Haha good idea. But no, I think it is extremely unlikely that this happened.

About the breeders net, I thought that would work and my answer is no. I used to buy gorilla/stone crabs from my LFS in bulk and tried to keep them in a breeders net, but day one they were all out and loose in my display tank haha. If its just a temporary thing, buy one of these and keep him in there in your tank. Keep a powerhead pointed at the holes in the top to give him fresh water. Its how my LFS keeps track of their sexi shrimp to sell them.

I have something like that I can use. Thanks for the info. Tomorrow I'm gonna re-aquascape so I'll try to get a better pic of the claws.

Crab has been dead atleast 6 months, but the carapace pieces I can see still look perfect.

Crab has been dead atleast 6 months, but the carapace pieces I can see still look perfect.

Very interesting indeed...I wonder if this is the case.

I believe we should take a vote. I want to know who thinks there is a monstrous crab in my tank, and who think said monstrous crab is just minding his own business somewhere in the Pacific, and just happened to leave his molt on a rock that coincidentally ended up in my fish tank, and I did not see it until 14 months after the tank had been running. Come on ppl. Take a side. Tell me what u think. Honestly, both options seem unlikely to me...if someone has any other guesses, perhaps involving UFOs and giant alien crabs, let me know. I'm all ears.

You should get a big mantis shrimp to take care of that crab problem...

So glad u could join us! We were talking about deporting this thing to your tank if I ever catch it...assuming it will fit through the lid of your 3 gallon. I think it'd be perfect!

Rollermonkey

I think that you should remove the pieces from the tank.

I think someone chucked a couple crab claws in your tank after eating at Joe's Crab Shack as a joke.

When crabs moult, the exoskeleton is complete and intact excepting the opening it crawls out through.

I think that you should remove the pieces from the tank.

I think someone chucked a couple crab claws in your tank after eating at Joe's Crab Shack as a joke.

When crabs moult, the exoskeleton is complete and intact excepting the opening it crawls out through.

Haha. They aren't THAT big! My family is not really the type who would do something like that...they're too boring. Also, if someone was trying to prank me don't u think they would have put the claws in the front of the tank, rather than the impossible-to-reach back corner that I just happened to be looking at when I saw them? I can all but guarantee that no one dropped these into my tank.

However, I do believe that everyone involved in this thread now knows of a hilarious prank they can pull on someone with a tank lol.

+1

These claw bits can't be doing anything good to your water parameters. Pull them out so you can see what you've got.

Tomorrow when I re-aquascape im pulling them out and doing an all out frickin photo-shoot. I hope to God no one comes into the basement to ask me what the heck im doing...I just wouldn't know how to explain it...

Also...i kinda doubt they are seriously damaging my parameters. If they were I think I may have noticed like a year ago. But I will definitely take them out. Any special requests for types of pics? I'll probly take some of them in the tank, out of the tank, maybe even get my family together and put them on someone's head and take the picture. It could be our Christmas card! I'll send all of u one.

Oh also Kat, tomorrow I'm going to attempt to make an arch out of rock and epoxy and if I can't make it look nice u will just have to come over and do it for me. K? K.

Alright. So is the general consensus that the only way to do this is put some food out, flash a red light at it and hope it comes out? Remember, it's made itself invisible for a year now...

U used to have one? Was it a good hider? Good enough that u could imagine a 5" one going unnoticed for a year in a 29 gallon tank? I don't have silversides. Anything else I might have that I can use? Now I'm getting kind of excited to try and catch this bugger.

Mine was give or take 4" and often hard to find despite being in a 5g tank. He loved to hang out by a filter intake. Just be careful while aquascaping... they don't easily let go :)

DSC_0006.jpg

Very interesting indeed...I wonder if this is the case.

I believe we should take a vote. I want to know who thinks there is a monstrous crab in my tank, and who think said monstrous crab is just minding his own business somewhere in the Pacific, and just happened to leave his molt on a rock that coincidentally ended up in my fish tank, and I did not see it until 14 months after the tank had been running. Come on ppl. Take a side. Tell me what u think. Honestly, both options seem unlikely to me...if someone has any other guesses, perhaps involving UFOs and giant alien crabs, let me know. I'm all ears.

So glad u could join us! We were talking about deporting this thing to your tank if I ever catch it...assuming it will fit through the lid of your 3 gallon. I think it'd be perfect!

KF ... are you sure about all of this or are you pulling our leg ? Just wondering as that is a possibility too :)

Exactly. Stringing us along. Starting to get old. Same information over and over. Ok you have some crab claws in your tank. Get back to us when you have some news.

jedimasterben
Exactly. Stringing us along. Starting to get old. Same information over and over. Ok you have some crab claws in your tank. Get back to us when you have some news.

Or do something about it.

Or do something about it.

Yes +1 ... we want to see a PIC of that Monster !

Let us see what this beast looks like ...

No!!! They're turning on me! Haha guys don't worry. I guess I'm just not that motivated to catch it because it hasn't really done anything bad. Later today I am re-aquascaping so I will grab the claws and take some pics, and maybe we can get a more accurate ID. I promise I'm not making anything up haha. I just haven't built up the motivation to stay up all night attempting to catch a monster that may or may not be in my tank an that has done no damage. I guess I'm just no fun like that. But I promise that in the near future I will stay up and try to catch this beast...just not right now.

And for the ppl who keep asking me to get pics of the thing, maybe I mis-typed something but I have never seen it. So until I catch it, there will be no pics of it, only the claw-molts.

Archived