Cultivated Reef

I may have a monster on my hands...

Kfmmartin19

So I think there may be a monster in my tank...

The tank has been up and running for about a year now with no sign of said monster. However, when I went to look at the tank today I saw these:

IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

To give you an idea of size, those claws are about an inch and a half long! I have never put any crab in there larger than a hermit, so I have no idea where these came from. I realize it's not much info, but...any guesses?

Thanks.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently, crabs with pointed claws are generally aggressive and undesirable.

Ever cooked crab?

Can't say Im a big crab cooker. The thing is that if it is so aggressive and undesirable, then why haven't I noticed it or its path of destruction at all since it must have been in my tank for a year now? No real problems with corals, fish, or other inverts...this is strange. Also, dont you think it's weird that I have never seen it or any trace of it considering the fact that it must have been in my tank for a year and that it's huge? I don't frequent my tank too much at night but I do look occasionally while the lights are off, and have never seen it!

Also, never noticed it the two times I took all the rocks out of my tank and then put them back in to re-aquascape.

This is strange...

looks like a little stone crab claw to me

You're right, it does! Those things get pretty darn big don't they?

Im scared.

You could try to remove the claw and turn it over. From the underside it looks like a stone crab like key diver said. But if the top of the claw is hairy or bumpy, then it's a gorilla crab. Either way, you're going to have to try to lure him out at night or trap him somehow.

Also since it seems the crab has recently molted, it is vulnerable and soft, might be the perfect time to get it. Need a spear? J/K!

You could try to remove the claw and turn it over. From the underside it looks like a stone crab like key diver said. But if the top of the claw is hairy or bumpy, then it's a gorilla crab. Either way, you're going to have to try to lure him out at night or trap him somehow.

Also since it seems the crab has recently molted, it is vulnerable and soft, might be the perfect time to get it. Need a spear? J/K!

So if the top is smooth it is a stone but if it is bumpy or hairy then probably a gorilla? Which one is worse? Im still scared. Someone protect me. Why hasnt it caused mass destruction yet? Maybe it's saving up its energy in an attempt to destroy my tank in just one night. Im sleeping with my bedroom door closed and locked from now on.

Also, does anyone keep these things? Like if I catch it can I sell it to my LFS or someone on here for like a pest/monster tank or something?

Well unfortunately in order to get to it and flip it over I need to remove some rock. Lucky for me, I planned on re-aquascaping that side of the tank in the next few days. I will do it then.

Rollermonkey

You have a crab with 1.5 inch claws in your tank, and you can't find it?

It should be at least 6 inches across if not more!

You have to be trying to punk someone.

You have a crab with 1.5 inch claws in your tank, and you can't find it?

It should be at least 6 inches across if not more!

You have to be trying to punk someone.

This is what is terrifying me.

Who would I be trying to punk?

Also, I have no idea how I have not found it. It just does not make sense.

He's terrified already, don't make it worse.

OP, you should have 911 on speed dial. But don't worry we're holding your hand to get you through this.

Thanks Kat, I appreciate it! :scarry:

How big is your tank? 120G? Would need to be huge to miss that thing! It's kinda cool. :)

It's a Biocube 29...

THAT is why this does not make sense.

I have the same type of crab in my tank. Blurry pic... like photographing a sasquatch.

If you can figure out a clever way of removing it without pulling all the rocks, please post.

post-70116-1345324716_thumb.jpg

It's a Biocube 29...

THAT is why this does not make sense.

Is that claw part of a molt? Can you pull it out? Like Rollermonkey said, that crab has to be 4-6" at least. Do you have a 6 inch cave in your tank? Is your substrate deep? Is he buried? Mystery . . .

Is that claw part of a molt? Can you pull it out? Like Rollermonkey said, that crab has to be 4-6" at least. Do you have a 6 inch cave in your tank? Is your substrate deep? Is he buried? Mystery . . .

I guess it's part of a molt. There are two claws. The first two pics are one claw, the third pic is the second claw. 6 inch cave? Not that I'm aware of. My tank sand is 1-2" deep.

I don't understand, if this enormous destructive crab has been in my tank for a year, how have I not noticed it, and how has it not done any damage?

Is it possible that the "skeleton" of a crab was attached to the underside of a piece of rock that you bought and some of your snails or hermits or just flow finally worked it loose? It does seem odd that something that big would be in the tank for that long with o other signs.

Spear is your best bet to get these guys. Attach a large sewing needle dowel of some sort. At night with a red filter on a flash light wait and wait and wait some more. Lure out with some food and then stab the thing. I killed a gorilla crab this way. just be sure that you hit it hard, the shell is tough to get through

happy hunting

Is it possible that the "skeleton" of a crab was attached to the underside of a piece of rock that you bought and some of your snails or hermits or just flow finally worked it loose? It does seem odd that something that big would be in the tank for that long with o other signs.

I suppose anything is possible. But don't u think they would have decomposed after being in my tank for a year?

Personally if I were in your shoes I wouldn't kill the poor guy. I would definitely try to catch him, but going unnoticed in your tank for so long and NOT harming anything is sort of cool. I know you don't have a sump or anything you can throw him in in the biocube, but I would try to find him an actual home. Imagine if you were in his place, pulled out of your ocean home and thrown into a box where the big monsters outside want you dead no matter what even if you haven't done anything wrong? haha I just feel bad for him..its like racisim xD

I recently read a thread where a guy was starting up a "pest" tank like you described. Lemme search.

***Edit:: Found it! This guy made a pest tank for all kinds of mojanos and macro that we have a hard time getting rid of. He also has a mantis in there, but from what I've seen his little guy is eating tiny hermits and cerith snails. I'm not sure what species it is, but it may stay much too small to attack a big ole crab like yours. I used to have enormus turbo snails in with my G. Chigara mantis. He tried to get at em once and gave up because they were too big.

Anyways, I would contact him and see if you guys could set something up to save your little crab. His name is Islandoftiki and heres the pest tank thread. Good luck!

Archived