Top Shelf Aquatics

Milan's BC 14

Chaoslord

This is my son's (6 years old) biocube 14. It use to be a planted tank a little over 4 years.

We decided to switch over to a reef tank for him since he did so well in school. He wants nemo.

So here's what we've done so far;

Removed plants and fish ,my tank absorbed them.

Threw out substrate and media scrubbed inside of tank and chambers.

Forgot to figure out how to remove scratches on the acrylic.

Setting up;

Intake media basket

Filter pad

Carbon filter

Chaeto

Live rock 1 1/2 lbs

Refugium led light back of tank. Had to scrap paint off with a razor.

Removed pad from chamber 3 and replaced with live rock 1/2 lb

20 lbs live sand

14 lbs live rock

Plans ;

Replace pump in chamber 3 with a higher flow. Take stock pump and put into chamber 1 with out flow half way up.haven't ordered pump yet.

Replace stock lighting with retofit leds. Ordered just waiting on.

I had starter fish but took back after I read you can cycle your tank with the live rock. Didn't do this until after I was done scaping the live rock.

Here's pics after scape not very good put hopefully they will get better.

post-75865-1344697387_thumb.jpg

post-75865-1344697402_thumb.jpg

post-75865-1344697415_thumb.jpg

On the back wall there is only 8 pts touching.

The perimeter on the sand is pretty much all touching with very few breaks. Not happy with this but couldn't get structure to hold. Inside is open all the way to the back with columns 6 for support.

I can take my had and put pressure on top of scape wiggle it and nothing moves.

When I can stock I would like to do ;

2 clowns like nemo.

1 blenney. To sift sand.

I would like an anemone to host the clowns.

Cleanup crew.

Are there nano versions for the clowns and blenney?

Will 3 fish be too much?

Should I go with 1-1 or just two clowns?

Any suggest for an upgrade pump for chamber 3?

Can I have an anemone with this size tank that will house clowns?

Suggestions with the scape or over all is appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

After doing some research on the anemone.

They are out of the question. I might try a maxi mini latter.

I've read that some soft corals will host clowns.

Xania

Colt

Hammer

Torch

Frogspawn

Is this correct ? Is there more that will host and what would be my best chance?

clowns are funny some host some don't. Some will host a powerhead so who knows. I've seen clowns host on top of a toadstool.

TeflonTomDosh

Nice tank, hopefully this is a positive foray into RESPONSIBLE reefkeeping for you & your son :)

With that being said, :welcome: to NR. (beat ya to it seabass)

Nonetheless, I'd lose the live rock in the back chambers, especially if you have the media basket and chaeto in the back. They've been known to be nitrate "factories" by quite a few people. Also, the pump in chamber one with the output halfway up, I don't get what the purpose of that is. Overall a nice build, I cycled my smallest tank with fish as well and he's actually now in a larger tank and doing GREAT! (some will say that's bad) Each to their own. Good luck!

clowns are funny some host some don't. Some will host a powerhead so who knows. I've seen clowns host on top of a toadstool.

Thanks for the info. I've been reading the same thing over and over. Sounds like its luck of the draw.

Clownfish will host anything, blennies won't sift sand. Get some nass. snails for that. I would stick to just the two clownfish, It seems like you know what your doing.

:welcome: to Nano reef

Nice tank, hopefully this is a positive foray into RESPONSIBLE reefkeeping for you & your son :)

With that being said, :welcome: to NR. (beat ya to it seabass)

Nonetheless, I'd lose the live rock in the back chambers, especially if you have the media basket and chaeto in the back. They've been known to be nitrate "factories" by quite a few people. Also, the pump in chamber one with the output halfway up, I don't get what the purpose of that is. Overall a nice build, I cycled my smallest tank with fish as well and he's actually now in a larger tank and doing GREAT! (some will say that's bad) Each to their own. Good luck!

Thanks for the greet..

Would you just do all chaeto or is there another media to use?

The idea of using the pump in chamber 1 blowing out into main display, would be so I would not have to Invest in another powerhead ,and the pump is also hidden instead of in main display. I would have to punch a hole in the wall and fit tubing to connect pump. Hopefully the water will reflect off glass into cave front. If not ill just put on another hydrodeflector.

Clownfish will host anything, blennies won't sift sand. Get some nass. snails for that. I would stick to just the two clownfish, It seems like you know what your doing.

:welcome: to Nano reef

Thanks

I can't find out what a nass snail is could you give me full name please?

As far as the clownfish is it better to get a mated pair ?

I was definitely miss informed about the blennies.

I would get one and a goby/blenny/basslet or some other nano fish. Nassarius snail is the full name, get a clean up crew from John at reefcleaners. :) I have a nc12 which is similar

Will this work?

I would like to be ready to stock once tank is fully cycled,so I'm researching.

Will link above work with my sand? It's sugar sized. I am going to remove my live rock from back and replace with all chaeto.

will it help to place the rock in main display for them?

Will they also be compatible with a cleaner shrimp?

I do feed live brine ,I hatch my own every week if that matters.

My son found his first hitchhiker last night.

To me it looks like a bristleworm. I can post pic if anyone wants to confirm.

I'm going to leave it alone for now seems like it would be Benifical.

I also received new lights so I'll be hooking these up tonight.

Thanks

I can't find out what a nass snail is could you give me full name please?

As far as the clownfish is it better to get a mated pair ?

I was definitely miss informed about the blennies.

Some gobies sift sand. They are very interesting, but can make a huge mess: dumping sand on corals and even toppling rock structures (from digging out underneath them). My sand sifting goby doesn't drive me quite as nuts now that he's in a 40 gallon versus a 10 gallon display tank: the larger area of the sandbed helps to keep a huge mess from piling up in one condensed area.

I know nothing about that pair . . . But they're very interesting!

I took the LEDs tested to make sure they work and than put up for now. Decided to wait to upgrade the lights .

I should have 6 months of life left in my lights than I'll switch over .

I did receive my upgrade maxijet 900. I replaced stock pump and put stock pump in chamber one blowing into main display. I punched a hole about half way up.This works really well.

It was a pita to put into the chamber. I also recaped rocks since I had to put everything into buckets to drill hole.

Pics to follow.

post-75865-1345446768_thumb.jpg

You can see pump output.

Also new scape what do you think?

I did see little white bugs jumping around back wall today , any idea what this is?

Almost looked like a flea.

I'm going to take my son after school to check are chemistry.

TeflonTomDosh
post-75865-1345446768_thumb.jpg

You can see pump output.

Also new scape what do you think?

I did see little white bugs jumping around back wall today , any idea what this is?

Almost looked like a flea.

I'm going to take my son after school to check are chemistry.

scape looks good

pods - good to have

ok, drive safe

3 Nassarius snail

2 red hermit crab

1 maxi mini green with red

1 porcelain crab

8-30-2012

Red pygmygoby

Halloween hermit crab

Encrusting Gorganian

10-21-12

Blue daisy

Magician buttons paly

Purple tiled frogspawn

2 sexy shrimp

Took water sample in and results were perfect.

So we started with above stock. Going to wait a week or 2 before we get a clown.

We acclimated everything than put them in tank.

Within 10 minutes the maxi was at the highest spot and opened up , about 30 mins latter the crab was camping out in the maxi.

Reef Hollister

I would recommend a Yellow Watchman Goby, a Clown and a Frogspawn for him to host.

It took my clowns about a year to host my frogspawn, but now they never stray very far from it.

post-75865-1346134107_thumb.jpg

Maxi mini hosting the porcelain crab.

I've been debating on doing a maxi mini garden (3-4).

Would the porcelain crab go from anemone to anemone or will it only host the one?

• 1 month later...

I'm currently trying to get an Id on 2 of 3 corals I bought. The lfs only gave me 1 correct Id.

He picked out his clown about a month ago. I tried to take a pic but gave up.post-75865-1350038000_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

post-75865-1351208811_thumb.jpg

Current pic of scape. Just going to wait for it to fill in now.

We seen a new hitchhiker today, it looks like a worm crawling around it will stop every once and a while and send what looks like a feather duster out of its tube pull it back in and move to another place. I tried to tack a pic but it would not turn out. Anyone have a clue what this would be?

post-75865-1351208831_thumb.jpg

This sexy shrimp is berried.

Do they carry the eggs and hatch them in captivity?

Does anyone have a link for breeding these shrimp?

I can't seem to find any info.

Thanks

• 5 months later...

I haven't updated this thread since october. Well its about time.

Everything seems to be on autopilot. The coraline algae is a nuisance to keep off of the glass.

The magican buttons did die. When we came back from vacation they were laying face down on the sand bed. They never opened back up.

Is there an easy way to keep/clean the coraline algae off the acrylic?

post-75865-0-80910700-1366359537_thumb.jpg

Archived