Cultivated Reef

Simplicity... llj's Fluval Spec

lljdma06

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need some limpets ! Good to hear your coral is algea free. In other note Lyla is alive!

Hi, I'm alive. Got bogged down with finals.

Tank is doing great. Corals are still all over the place, but opening nicely and eating, so who cares? My baby god of wars are growing. Refugium needs a good clean, that's it.

It'll be 9 months May 11. Counting the days to one year!

L

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody. I don't think anybody really follows this one much anymore. LOL, I completely understand, I can barely follow this thread myself! VERY busy with a recital, my anniversary (one year with my fiance May 20). But I had a spare moment and thought I'd write some stuff down. It'll also motivate me to do my tank maintenance, which I've been lax with again. Sorry, no photo updates. The tank looks the same. I can snap one tonight if anybody's interested. Corals are still on the floor or scattered, or detaching. Glue sucks. Must be just a bad batch of the stuff. The fuge needs to be emptied, and of course a water change. I need to do a search and rescue for one colony of hornets. I cannot find them. :( They're alive, they just detached from the main colony and yikes!

As things age, you really start to get attached to the little buggers. I think I have a cute little community. Even if I'm unsuccessful in the longterm with the higher end nps (sun corals and gorgs), just the dendros, odd zoas, mushies, gsp, and blastos make for a really nice little group that I'm pretty happy with. It's not fancy, but I'm happy. I did indeed keep it simple.

My goby is still going strong, though he/she/it show signs of aging. He eats like a horse and I feed him, but he is very skinny. If I lose him, I'll probably replace him as I really like the species itself. I could try a panda goby again as I was very successful with one in the past, but I think my inverts are too big for a panda goby. Or, I can finally pair my Randall's with a very small shrimp goby. I don't see the bioload being any different between Mr. Fathead (the clown goby I have) and a small high fin banded or yasha haze.

The stars of the tank are the motile inverts. I really think, that if I did anything right with this setup, anything at all, is that I have a neat little group of inverts. They are the stars of the tank. I have so far...

Golden coral banded shrimp - really has grown up nicely in this tank and is super pretty. I recommend them. All the charm of a Coral banded, but like 1/3 the size.

Emerald crab - has eaten every bit of algae, even my pretty red stuff. Mine has stayed small.

Randall's pistol shrimp - great little digger who really stirs up the substrate. I removed most of it when I did my last heavy clean. There's just enough to keep him busy.

Banded trochus - very good little snail.

Cowrie - this sucker (haha, pun intended) is old, over a year. I had him as a CUC in my Biocube that was setup in Feb 2012.

Dwarf ceriths and some hitch hiker bristle stars. Who knows what else. I discover a lot of little beasties. I have some sort of filter-feeding barnacle thingy growing at the base of one of the dendro colonies.

I never replaced the hermit crabs. IMO, they weren't necessary for this setup. I have no desire to add anything else. If something dies, though, I will replace it, as I like the current dynamic a lot.

Nine months old. I'll post a picture tonight pre-maintenance and again after I do my maintenance. You should see the tank when it's not at its best. This is important. I struggle with picos like everybody else does. I'm lazy too. I need to get my butt in gear especially since I'm on summer schedule now. No excuses. Stop playing Skyrim and do the darn water change! :lol:

L

Photos.

Full tank. Gorgs open more at night. Dendros just ate.

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/lljdma06/media/Fluval%20Spec/D652C0F1-3173-401E-9415-6E6F95BF36CE-23320-00004513BF5985BE_zps253c6c1a.jpg.html'>D652C0F1-3173-401E-9415-6E6F95BF36CE-233

Green star polyps. Not fully awake yet. I snapped the photos in the morning.

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/lljdma06/media/Fluval%20Spec/939B3035-C4F5-4130-9E38-8643120D4B85-23320-00004513E08D6E99_zps30a4522f.jpg.html'>939B3035-C4F5-4130-9E38-8643120D4B85-233

Animal the Dendro. He's happy. :)

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/lljdma06/media/Fluval%20Spec/3E08C03A-EA94-4532-919C-CA3BEC120236-23320-00004513FD90EE6F_zps79b9c8e4.jpg.html'>3E08C03A-EA94-4532-919C-CA3BEC120236-233

I may steal back the dendro I gave to my fiance. He doesn't have the patience for nps and he doesn't feed it. It'll do better with me. I also want my christmas favia and I'll rearrange the tank so I can have it. Everything needs to be reattached anyway, so might as well put in what I want. I'll use freakin' cement this time!

L

surgicalsense

Great pico .... I really like the light grade using the Fluval 4g light. Did you have to purchase that independently? I have the same pico in my bedroom. It is in the slow modification faze right now :lol:

Great pico .... I really like the light grade using the Fluval 4g light. Did you have to purchase that independently? I have the same pico in my bedroom. It is in the slow modification faze right now :lol:

The light is for an Innovative Marine 4g and yes, it was purchases separately.

L

I may steal back the dendro I gave to my fiance. He doesn't have the patience for nps and he doesn't feed it. It'll do better with me. I also want my christmas favia and I'll rearrange the tank so I can have it. Everything needs to be reattached anyway, so might as well put in what I want. I'll use freakin' cement this time!

Didn't you say something about sending me that dendro!

• 1 month later...

Didn't you say something about sending me that dendro!

Lol, no.

I still haven't stolen it back yet, it's still waiting for me. Still have this tank. Lost the goby, though, but I knew that was going to happen. Will get a replacement as soon as July bills are finished. I only have enough to keep the tank going financially. Not much for extra expenses. Need to do a water change. GSP are overrunning everything, except the gorgs and the dendros. A set of green palys are toast, completely buried by the gsp. It's pretty cool to watch something get that invasive. The corals are better off on the floor and away from the gsp. I will probably round out the tank with ricordea as they are cheap, easy to care for, and have pretty colors. Other mushies too. Inverts are doing great, as are the blastos. Favia and yuma are not doing as well.

I know, it's been a long while. I'm doing a double bill (Gianni Schicchi/Il Tabarro) in July and I've been so busy learning music and working.

L

• 1 month later...

Yo, long time no see. Been busy with class and moving so it's been a while. How are the gorges?

Ps, my lfs started selling gorges but they're the tiny polyp kind.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo, long time no see. Been busy with class and moving so it's been a while. How are the gorges? Ps, my lfs started selling gorges but they're the tiny polyp kind.

Hi, I've been very busy too. Gorgs and sun corals never made it past my mom's stroke and me having to move out of the family home. I will try them again when I have the time and I am settled in a new place. Right now, I live in a small space with my fiance and I'm working a lot of hours to save for a bigger place, so very little time for a tank that requires a lot of detailed maintenance.

The remaining dendros, however, are fine. The softies are ok.

Had algae, some cyano and bubble, battled it with a good clean, so it'll be sorted soon. Had lost my emerald crab and I was very bad with water changes, so it explained a lot.

Today, I got his replacement and two scarlet hermits.

I'm not sure I'll get another fish. I'm pretty happy with just inverts right now. I'd really like to replace the golden banded coral shrimp. I'll keep you posted.

Here is a lousy picture with my iPhone. Corals are angry right now, but they are already open more as I type than they were during the photo. I got about $40 from some Liverock I had that was extra so I'll see what I can pick up tomorrow.

470DE2EF-BA1B-4A3F-8147-BED2BCAE5491-432

L

PS: Tank turned a year old August 11. Yippie!!! :happydance:

AWESOME tank!!! i have a spec 2 as well! check it out! i was curious how your filtration is set up, idk if i passed it, but i looked through the pages, pictures may not have loaded

Thank you. I actually gutted the filter chamber, added an extra small powerhead, and am now using the chamber as a refugium. It's worked pretty well for the past year, though I think I'd like to downgrade the lighting on it. So there are two roughly 40gph powerheads in the tank. The stock one and the little one in the big chamber.

It'll slowly come back to its original glory. Corals are opening up again after the clean and I'll do another water change tonight to tidy things up. Haven't seen the emerald crab, but he may well be molting. They sometimes do that after being introduced to the tank.

I'll feed them something yummy tonight.

L

Sorry to hear about the stroke. :/ The sun coral doesn't look too bad though. I have to make a new thread beause while I haven't been on nano-reef, I've actually done alot of MAJOR changes so I'll keep you posted too and post a link when I have something up. It looked amazing before, it'll look amazing again.(I'm talking about yours!) :D

• 3 months later...

Been lurking on this thread for awhile, and it inspired me to get back into the SW habit with a Fluval 2G.

Following now to continue to watch your lovely tank!

Archived