Cultivated Reef

Feather duster food

tennis20

i got a feather duster from my LFS a couple of months ago not knowing i have to feed it. so over the summer i noticed it getting smaller so i went to the LFS and i got food. i read that people feed them phytoplankton but the worker said that i should feed it piranha eggs. I bought the frozen piranha eggs and i will put some in my tank. i am just wondering if this makes any sense.(to feed my feather duster piranha eggs)

albertthiel
i got a feather duster from my LFS a couple of months ago not knowing i have to feed it. so over the summer i noticed it getting smaller so i went to the LFS and i got food. i read that people feed them phytoplankton but the worker said that i should feed it piranha eggs. I bought the frozen piranha eggs and i will put some in my tank. i am just wondering if this makes any sense.(to feed my feather duster piranha eggs)

Marine Snow would IMO be better

The piranha eggs are probably on the large size of what it can eat, if it can eat them at all. They're also a freshwater food source and while plenty of people have decent results using them, I like to stick to food sources that can be found in marine environments.

Phytoplankton would be a good choice, as a little will get eaten by the duster, but zooplankton will multiply because of it and in turn get eaten by the duster. Freeze dried may help some, but it is certainly not as effective. Marine snow or another mixed product is a good choice, giving a range of small free-floating food particle sizes. Something like oyster feast would also be a good choice, and some coral foods and mixes have things which should work well. Depending on the kind of duster and your tank, it may need little or no supplemental feeding, but so long as you're not fowling the water, feeding it certainly isn't a bad idea.

altolamprologus

Where do you people get this nonsense? Feather dusters eat live phytoplankton and only live phytoplankton. To be even more specific, phytoplankton under about 40 microns in size. Denying them their only food source means certain death. They will filter out other stuff like oyster eggs and dry filter feeder foods to build their tubes, but none of that goes toward their daily energy intake. BTW before you ask, no, dead phytoplankton is not accepted by them.

TeflonTomDosh
Where do you people get this nonsense? Feather dusters eat live phytoplankton and only live phytoplankton. To be even more specific, phytoplankton under about 40 microns in size. Denying them their only food source means certain death. They will filter out other stuff like oyster eggs and dry filter feeder foods to build their tubes, but none of that goes toward their daily energy intake. BTW before you ask, no, dead phytoplankton is not accepted by them.

So hot when you're angry. LOL

TeflonTomDosh
I'm not angry, I just don't understand why simple info like this isn't more commonplace.

You remind me of myself while in any of my LFS and I hear someone say "oh that looks cool, think I'll get that" pisses me off to no end hahah

I'm not angry, I just don't understand why simple info like this isn't more commonplace.

Guess the next question would be - source?

I don't own a duster, but I'd like to read up on this in-case I ever decide to :)

altolamprologus
Guess the next question would be - source?

I don't own a duster, but I'd like to read up on this in-case I ever decide to :)

Reef invertebrates by Anthony Calfo and Robert Fenner. Plus my own personal experience of keeping 8 ornamental feather dusters in a nano tank for over a year and a half feeding live phyto. They're growing and reproducing so I'd say that's evidence enough. Plus the average starvation time for a duster fed anything but live phyto is 3-4 months.

Good to hear.. I agree that most I hear of die in just a few months. The fact that you're seeing reproduction speaks volumes.

edit: but now I'm curious.. how do they reproduce? Do they drop little dusters that start building their own tube? Also, do you ever experience them relocating?

altolamprologus
Good to hear.. I agree that most I hear of die in just a few months. The fact that you're seeing reproduction speaks volumes.

edit: but now I'm curious.. how do they reproduce? Do they drop little dusters that start building their own tube? Also, do you ever experience them relocating?

I'm actually not sure of the method of reproduction. I know many of the smaller species will split in half, producing clones. I don't think the ornamental ones do that, but I do have a baby that's the same color as one that I bought growing right next to it's parent. That would suggest cloning, but I'm not certain as that's the only one I've found.

I've only had one relocate while I was on vacation and they were not being fed. Otherwise, they stay put because they're happy. Only unhappy dusters move.

They're not that selective, I admit I haven't done my own personal scientific research, but I've got a tank with dusters multiplying that sees no phytoplankton and never has, it's also a year and change old. My previous tanks have been the same way and as old.

According to DT's website article about dusters, the organisms are well evolved to catch phytoplankton and discard particulate that is too large or small to be that, some of the larger particulate is then used to make the tube while others aren't used at all. That said, the organism does not discriminate as to what the food is - as long as it's the right size and density, it is eaten. So anything that fits that category is fair game.

According to their site, your 40 micron size estimate is about right. Oyster eggs are right about in that size range, some are bigger but not by much and thus they would be a usable food source. Their article also says that they can eat bacteria with a similar size as phytoplankton, and my assumption is that in my own tanks, this comprises a decent amount of their diet.

I did not research them thoroughly before posting and some of my post is inaccurate, but it is also entirely possible to have a tank with dusters reproducing and thriving that is not fed phytoplankton. That's what my experience as an aquarist has shown me, and the little bit of research I've now done seems to back it up. Given how few people dose phyto and how many feather dusters can be found... they must be able to eat something else.

altolamprologus
They're not that selective, I admit I haven't done my own personal scientific research, but I've got a tank with dusters multiplying that sees no phytoplankton and never has, it's also a year and change old. My previous tanks have been the same way and as old.

According to DT's website article about dusters, the organisms are well evolved to catch phytoplankton and discard particulate that is too large or small to be that, some of the larger particulate is then used to make the tube while others aren't used at all. That said, the organism does not discriminate as to what the food is - as long as it's the right size and density, it is eaten. So anything that fits that category is fair game.

According to their site, your 40 micron size estimate is about right. Oyster eggs are right about in that size range, some are bigger but not by much and thus they would be a usable food source. Their article also says that they can eat bacteria with a similar size as phytoplankton, and my assumption is that in my own tanks, this comprises a decent amount of their diet.

I did not research them thoroughly before posting and some of my post is inaccurate, but it is also entirely possible to have a tank with dusters reproducing and thriving that is not fed phytoplankton. That's what my experience as an aquarist has shown me, and the little bit of research I've now done seems to back it up. Given how few people dose phyto and how many feather dusters can be found... they must be able to eat something else.

You are talking about the little hitchhiker dusters. Those guys eat anything within a certain size range and will reproduce in a plastic cup if given the opportunity. The big, colorful ornamental ones are what I'm talking about. They are extremely selective eaters and as many people have found, dead food sources lead to dead dusters.

albertthiel
You are talking about the little hitchhiker dusters. Those guys eat anything within a certain size range and will reproduce in a plastic cup if given the opportunity. The big, colorful ornamental ones are what I'm talking about. They are extremely selective eaters and as many people have found, dead food sources lead to dead dusters.

I read about 6 or 7 messages, if not more about this feeding set of posts by a number of members and I think that It may help to clarify what duster worms are being talked about IMO ... ...

- Sabellastarte,

- Bispira,

- Protula,

- Spirobranchus,

- Eudistylia

- Anamobaea

- Filograna

- Pomatostegus

- and all the other types of Coco worms, besides Protula

Yes feeding habits may be similar but generalizing to the point of including all genuses of worms may not help a hobbyist who only has one particular type.

And Alto .. great work on keeping them alive for that long and even having a rather touchy ones reproduce, probably at the base of the large one. Based on what I know they reproduce by brooding eggs which are deposited in a gelatinous mass at the base of the worm, spawns, and even cloning, as you indicate. What reproduction type is used depends on the exact type of Worm. I have even seen references to some breaking in half with the piece without a head slowly developing one ... so I guess reproduction happens in quite a number of ways indeed.

I have personally seen reproduction happen as well, just as Alto has, not in the tank I currently keep (20G High), but years ago when I was running larger tanks, and still owned Thiel Aqua Tech (no longer in existence), where a small one would suddenly one day be seen at the base of the larger one, sometimes already developed to some degree or if the base of the large one was visible very undeveloped but in the process of growing (those were

I do agree however that phytoplankton is a must but what may be different IMO is the size of it and how it is fed.

In my reference books plankter (singular for plankton) can be classified as:

Microplankton 20→200 µm

Nanoplankton 2→20 µm

Picoplankton 0.2→2 µm

Femtoplankton < 0.2 µm

Perhaps some more clarification by genus/species if possible, and the preferred size would help hobbyist along some more.

This is not addressed just to Alto, but to all who posted suggestions and personal experiences.

BTW .. agreed on the fact that they will not move if correctly placed in the tank, and if they move, and crawl out of their tube, that is not good news as often they may get picked on and may not necessarily regrow a tube. Also agreed on the fact that if not fed phyto and other food they will more than likely not make it.

Usually IME they will lose their crown as a first sign that something is wrong (and I mean lose it due to starvation and not due to aggression as in that case the crown will eventually regrow). What I mean is the crown is dropped and does not regrow .. and either the worm crawls out of its tube or just cannot be seen anymore at all and dies off in its tube.

FWIW

Albert

altolamprologus

Thanks you for your input Albert. You are totally right about different genera having different feeding habits. But since the lay person cannot easily differentiate between the many genera, I feel it best to feed to all feather dusters live phytoplankton on a daily basis. All other nutritional needs can be met by tiny scraps of fish food floating around and by whatever a person decides to feed their corals.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I am just going to say... feather dusters are not that hard to keep. I have had mine for 2 years and it's grown at least 4 times its original size and has remained very healthy. I have never fed it. It's only source of nutrition comes from my fish food (rods, mysis, nutramar ova, brine, cyclopeeze, pellets, etc...) and fish waste, but other than that, nothing. I too have had a number of feather dusters sprout all around my tank as well - not just the white hitchhikers, but the larger species as well.

I have a hard time buying the "they only eat live phyto" fact when I have the experience to say otherwise. While this may be true for some feather dusters, mine (Sabellastarte sp.) is clearly an exception.

Edit: alright, just skimmed the rest of the thread and it seems like Albert cleared everything up.

altolamprologus
I haven't read this whole thread, but I am just going to say... feather dusters are not that hard to keep. I have had mine for 2 years and it's grown at least 4 times its original size and has remained very healthy. I have never fed it. It's only source of nutrition comes from my fish food (rods, mysis, nutramar ova, brine, cyclopeeze, pellets, etc...) and fish waste, but other than that, nothing. I too have had a number of feather dusters sprout all around my tank as well - not just the white hitchhikers, but the larger species as well.

I have a hard time buying the "they only eat live phyto" fact when I have the experience to say otherwise. While this may be true for some feather dusters, mine (Sabellastarte sp.) is clearly an exception.

Edit: alright, just skimmed the rest of the thread and it seems like Albert cleared everything up.

Some people's tanks (like yours for example) seem to have the ability to produce enough natural phytoplankton and free floating bacteria to support feather dusters. The vast majority of people, however, will kill dusters under the assumption that it will filter out whatever is in the water. I should also clarify that dusters in tanks over about 55 gallons generally don't need supplemental feedings. It's nano tanks they usually starve in.

NanoNewb2011
Some people's tanks (like yours for example) seem to have the ability to produce enough natural phytoplankton and free floating bacteria to support feather dusters. The vast majority of people, however, will kill dusters under the assumption that it will filter out whatever is in the water. I should also clarify that dusters in tanks over about 55 gallons generally don't need supplemental feedings. It's nano tanks they usually starve in.

Does running a skimmer reduce your phyto production?

I guess a better question is what promotes and what inhibits phyto production?

Skimmers reduce nutrients, which in turn, reduces the phytos food source. As long as above 5 ppm nitrates is maintained, then they will have enough nutrients to thrive as long as we don't obsess with water changes. Motility to optimum gradients means that they will tend to gather at the surface near the light source and concentrated nutrient supply. When we make a large water change, the we just manually skimmed the majority of the population out of the water column; That's why I always stir the water good before a water change.

• Like 1
albertthiel
Thanks you for your input Albert. You are totally right about different genera having different feeding habits. But since the lay person cannot easily differentiate between the many genera, I feel it best to feed to all feather dusters live phytoplankton on a daily basis. All other nutritional needs can be met by tiny scraps of fish food floating around and by whatever a person decides to feed their corals.

+1

altolamprologus

Skimmers remove phyto. That's actually a good portion of what they're removing, and why skimmate often has a greed hue.

Low nutrients, reduced light cycles, and skimmers inhibit phyto growth so stay away from those. It is possible to keep water clean enough for acros while still being a good environment for phytoplankton, you just have to find the right balance.

Archived