Top Shelf Aquatics

Cover for a 10 gal. aquarium

bdmiller

Hello everyone. I'm a reef newbie. This is a great board. I'm starting to collect items for a 10 gallon aquarium. For the lighting I will probably order a 2x36 watt Bright Kit from AH Supply. Along with the 20" enclosure. I know I can make an enclosure myself but I'm not that great with that stuff and maybe a little lazy ;). Now my question is where can I get a cover for the enclosure? It says to use glass. Where can I find a glass cover that will fit that enclosure? Anyone else using this setup?

Thanks for any help.

Nishant3789

wel u got two options:

1. go the cheap lazy way and buy a veratop from the lfs or

2. Go the DIY cheaper and easier in the long run way get a peuce of glass cut from home depot. For ure ten gallon tank it wouild cost about 6-7 bcks. but make sure u DO NOT completly cover the tank, u wnat to leave about 3-4 inches from the 20 inch side open. Well hth,  and nice lighting! u may wanna put in a fan though incase of heating problems with all that light.

nishant

you really dont need a glass cover for that enclosure. my friend bought it, its looks good and cuts on top for heat to escape, but $30 is a little too much for me. as the the cover, it will cut down on gas exchange and evaporation. you really dont need one since the end caps are water proof, all you need to do periodicly is wipe the bulb and reflector clean of salt deposit.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Hubu, is it safe to have the lights that close to the surface without glass separation? Won't these lights burst if they are splashed with water?

if the lights are splashed they will not burst. they dont get that hot. however preventing splashes is a good thing. the glass is not really necessarry as long as you have waterproof endcaps.

the bulbs are probably a few inches from the water. as sloreefer mentioned, the bulbs wont burst. the water wont splash into the bulbs if your currents is mid-to moderate. i doubt it would even splash onto the bulb if you have a high current. the only problem i have encountered is the salt deposit on the bulbs and reflector.

Archived