Coral Vue Hydros

TSwift's IM Nuvo 16 AIO Reef

TSwift

Tank and corals are doing great! Boyfriend bought me a clownfish :) Believe it or not, I think he is already hosting the Frogspawn!

Not sure on the name yet! He is getting well acquainted with my frogspawn.

WIo4b.jpg?1

Mjxlc.jpg?1

FTS:

wyeoh.jpg?1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Very nice tank! The rocks should fill in nicely with your corals. I'd try to hid your plugs as much as possible. They're fine with the zoas that will quickly grow over them, but on the frogspawn you'll always see that square thing.

Really love the scape! I have always loved these tanks. Can't wait to see how it looks with the new light ;)

Thank you! I am really excited for the light to come :) Thanks again!

Very nice tank! The rocks should fill in nicely with your corals. I'd try to hid your plugs as much as possible. They're fine with the zoas that will quickly grow over them, but on the frogspawn you'll always see that square thing.

Thank you very much! I actually was wondering how to separate the frogspawn with that square plug without hurting it. Any ideas? Do you think I have good placement with the corals? I have a different light coming (JBJ Unibody LED), so I didn't want to glue anything to the rock until I know they are happy.

Nice tank!

Pulled from asira.org re: Goniopora:

These corals have very specific and extremely demanding feeding requirements. I suggest you start hatching brine shrimp asap. Fresh, live, baby brine is a great food for them. Frozen baby brine shrimp also work well. Rotifers, oyster eggs, and other small, meaty foods are all good. But putting these in the tank is usually not enough. It is best to feed the corals under a "dome" of some sort or another (creature keepers work well). Having a DSB and/or refugium and feeding DT's phytoplankton is another good idea.

Suggests moderate lighting, moderate-strong flow.

As for separating corals from plugs, I've found they tend to pop off pretty easily with an X-acto knife (or regular steak knife tip) slid in between the skeleton & the plug/disc.

Nice tank!

Pulled from asira.org re: Goniopora:

These corals have very specific and extremely demanding feeding requirements. I suggest you start hatching brine shrimp asap. Fresh, live, baby brine is a great food for them. Frozen baby brine shrimp also work well. Rotifers, oyster eggs, and other small, meaty foods are all good. But putting these in the tank is usually not enough. It is best to feed the corals under a "dome" of some sort or another (creature keepers work well). Having a DSB and/or refugium and feeding DT's phytoplankton is another good idea.

Suggests moderate lighting, moderate-strong flow.

As for separating corals from plugs, I've found they tend to pop off pretty easily with an X-acto knife (or regular steak knife tip) slid in between the skeleton & the plug/disc.

Thank you for posting this! I have been spot feeding it brine shrimp every day. It has been doing better than I thought it would! Hopefully I can start feeding it a larger variety soon. I also took some of the corals off the plugs, but not the frogspawn quite yet (I ran out of time). It was easier than I thought! Thanks again.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I have been out of town for various reasons recently and its been so hectic!

Let's see some pictures with the new light! :D

Yes! Thank you again for the new light! It is a JBJ Unibody LED and I'm extremely happy with it. I have finally found a break long enough to post some pics. I also got a new camera (Canon Rebel T2i). It will take me a while to learn how to take good pictures with it.

I also got a clean up crew from reefcleaners.org. They have been doing a great job of cleaning up the algae on the bed, but I don't have any recent pictures showing that yet. Additionally, I got a new watermelon mushroom and a Purple Gorgonian (I was given it as a gift- I hope it will do alright). I will post pics of those once I get back in town in a few days!

BEFORE:

LhF0s.jpg?1

AFTER! :D :

NgZqJ.jpg?1

g16nC.jpg?1

49mxF.jpg?1

Orange by day:

gcYeW.jpg?1

Black by night:

KhduJ.jpg?1

7Y9tg.jpg?1

The tank's looking really good. The 'scape and corals are are pretty nice, and I especially like that frogspawn. It's been one I've wanted to try out for a while. That light seems to be working out fantastically for you, also.

Any further stocking plans at the moment, if you don't mind my asking?

Glad you like the new light! It's a lot of fun playing with the dimmers. Hope your clean-up crew does some work on that GHA. Tank looks fantastic! :lol:

Thank you very much! I have been battling with the algae, but at least I'm winning. Just keeping up on my water changes, manually removing it, and shortening the light cycle at bit seems to work wonders. I think its just new-tank syndrome.

The tank's looking really good. The 'scape and corals are are pretty nice, and I especially like that frogspawn. It's been one I've wanted to try out for a while. That light seems to be working out fantastically for you, also.

Any further stocking plans at the moment, if you don't mind my asking?

Thank you very much! It's fun to feed the frogspawn, you should get one when your ready :)

My stocking plans are at a hold until my tank matures a little bit more. The algae is slowly going away, thankfully. I really want a ricordia garden and some more LPS, SPS for sure. Fish wise, I think I want to do a yasha goby and a pistol shrimp pair sometime down the road. We will see :D

• 5 months later...

Archived