Innovative Marine Aquariums

A Newbie's 16 Gallon Nuvo

Dr. Acula

Good luck! I had a similar situation while I was in college with my BC29....It was always a bit scary walking back into the dorm room after being away for a week or so..

Thanks man! And I'm happy to say that everything in the tank is alive and well. Unfortunately, that goes doubly so for the algae. The stuff grew like crazy over break. Take a look for yourself:

2013-01-20_13-16-50_798_zps2e4d8472.jpg

So, I'm happy all my investments pulled through. Hopefully I can slowly try to reign the algae back under control. I'll do my best to keep up with water changes, and I did just recently purchase a skimmer. We'll see how everything progresses over the next couple weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Another little update. The algae is slowly being battled back. I've cut back the feedings a bit, and tried to be more consistent with water changes. I'll get where I want to be eventually. In the mean time I wanted to upload a couple coral growth photos. I think it's fun to look back and see how much they've actually grown. It happens so slowly when you're looking every day.

Anyway, here is a recent shot of the acan:

2013-02-17_18-52-28_155_zps1957f783.jpg

And another that has been making good progress:

2013-02-17_18-53-08_458_zps82596f0d.jpg

And lastly, I just this last week decided to add a small green slimer frag to the tank. I've wanted to try my hand at sps at some point, and when I saw this little frag at the LFS for 6 bucks I decided it would help me test the waters. We'll see how he does:

2013-02-17_18-53-28_158_zps72a9d0b8.jpg

Thanks for taking a look guys.

• 5 months later...

About scapes. I like a reef that looks like a reef. I don't really care for the modernist approach like rocks glued in a column. I believe in a layered open pile where fish can swim in and out peek from caves and get peace from the harsh light we hang over them. Nice planted. I do that too. Mine is more a jungle mix with 20 galaxy rasbora or is it 25 now? lol last count. They're doing something in those trees :)

skimmer will make a diffference and chimipure elite or gfo granulated ferric oxide and carbon will help. Chaeto in a finnex breeder box or aquaclear hang on back will also be a boon. I do all three and it is clean.

• 2 months later...

Oh, definitely. Like I mentioned, I'm planning on getting more rock soon. That's just the eight or so pounds I got when I bought the setup, in order to get some in and start the cycling process. I'll have more rock, and I'll scape the rock better.

Thanks.

Im also a 20 year old in college hahaha and I'm about to buy the nuvo 16 gallon on october 12th when I come home for fall break. I have never bought a brand new tank but I am this time. Did they give you that 8 lbs of live rock free?

20 year old college student here as well :) I am debating on getting this exact Nuvo 16 and I was wondering how you are liking it. Do you wish you would have gotten white instead of black? I can't decide which color.

I plan on doing a simple scape as well. I want to do two or three "islands" that stack at different heights. This is my inspiration to a certain degree: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=296235

I subscribed to your topic and will be following!

To help answer your question, a large amount of live rock only helps balance your tank if you have a really large bioload. If you add more down the road, it will take longer to cycle since that new live rock will have some die-off which means your cycle will basically start over again.

hahaha dude this is too funny...20 year old college student too. Im getting my 16 gallon nuvo on the 12th when i come home for fall break.

Archived