Pod Your Reef

SPS Dying

heifinator

If that was true than my SPS would not thrive or even grow, but I don't have any coraline growing in my tanks and my SPS have been thriving and growing like weeds for 2 years.

Search somewhere else as coraline is no way an indication of anything.

I think asureefis on to something with the coraline... IME when coraline grows good, water is good. When my coraline stops growing, i know something up with my tank... its not a scientific thing, its more of a gut feeling. Have you tried several massive water change like 50-75% 3x in times in a week?
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• heifinator

• PODPIMP

• Asureef

• uglyfish

It honestly sounds like a nutrient problem to me. Specifically a phosphate problem. I would stop feeding the reef chilli asap. Hanna checker and salifert are both not very accurate. Actually salifert is totally useless. Borrow someones hanna colorimeter

Edited by PODPIMP
It honestly sounds like a nutrient problem to me. Specifically a phosphate problem. I would stop feeding the reef chilli asap. Hanna checker and salifert are both not very accurate. Actually salifert is totally useless. Borrow someones hanna colorimeter

Run GFO, changed it weekly for 4 weeks with no improvement.

Also, no algae growth really at all in the tank (green / brown slime on glass grows very slowly).

Cut feeding way way back during the GFO period, no improvement.

Run GFO, changed it weekly for 4 weeks with no improvement.

Also, no algae growth really at all in the tank (green / brown slime on glass grows very slowly).

Cut feeding way way back during the GFO period, no improvement.

Wow ok. Do you have any mag drive pumps in your system?

If there is no equipment rusting or electrical current leaking (should add grounding probe anyway) perhaps it's your salt. There have been cases of metals in certain salts. Try buying a new common salt like coralife, IO, Tropic Marin etc. No exotic stuff :) I would do a few 50% changes over the course of a month.

Did you consider the salt as a problem yet?

If there is no equipment rusting or electrical current leaking (should add grounding probe anyway) perhaps it's your salt. There have been cases of metals in certain salts. Try buying a new common salt like coralife, IO, Tropic Marin etc. No exotic stuff :) I would do a few 50% changes over the course of a month.

Did you consider the salt as a problem yet?

Yea I have, I changed the salt once and saw an improvement I thought, but it was my imagination.

I did just use another tub of the same brand though, I will try a true switch.

I have checked for stray voltage.

Hi,

pretty new (8 months) to reef but ... I did not see any mention of your specific gravity in the tank, but I did see mention that a water change with new salt improved things for a while. How do you measure SG and what is it currently at?

What salt are you using? You definitely have to exhaust a contaminated salt possibility but you have to do LARGE water changes to reduce a possible toxin.

Hi,

pretty new (8 months) to reef but ... I did not see any mention of your specific gravity in the tank, but I did see mention that a water change with new salt improved things for a while. How do you measure SG and what is it currently at?

Good point. If you haven't already calibrate your refractometer and check temp with a separate thermometer

checking temp with both apex controller and a cheap temp probe.

Salinity has been checked with refractometer and hydrometer, both come back 1.025

Except for a toxin in the tank the only other thing I can think of is lighting. Bulbs too old, or too bright, or the wrong type. Out of my league with anything except t5ho so I'm not sure what, if any issues, the other types can cause.

If the tank was used prior or exposed to copper at some point then really no option but to replace tank. I know in planted tanks copper can be a problem years after it's been used, especially if it's leached into the rocks and such.

Best of luck!

Tank was new rimless tank from Miracles In Glass.

Have ran a polyfilter, didn't change color.

Running 6bulb ATI sunpower. Borrowed par meter, posted results in previous page I believe.

I am going to do 2 50% water changes with new salt.

I thought I posted them

With 6bulb ATI Sunpower @ ~12" above water

(4ft 65 gallon tank)

At 3" below surface PAR was 450-500

At 12" below surface PAR was 275-300

At sandbed PAR was 125-150

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you fingerscrossed I think the big water changes with different salt will help. You've covered just about everything else that I can think of.

Edited by PODPIMP
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you fingerscrossed I think the big water changes with different salt will help. You've covered just about everything else that I can think of.

I will keep you all posted. You've been very helpful troubleshooting this. :P

I thought I posted them

(4ft 65 gallon tank)

How old are the bulbs? How about a listing of each brand and type of bulb?

Have you tested your mixed saltwater to check for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Calc, KH, anything else?

Sorry for the inane questions, but best cover everything, right? :)

One more question. What do you use to mix the water at that location? Is it possible the containers are contaminated? How long does the water sit after mixing and before adding to the tank?

Sorry if this was covered before. Again, good luck.

Tank was new rimless tank from Miracles In Glass.

Have ran a polyfilter, didn't change color.

Running 6bulb ATI sunpower. Borrowed par meter, posted results in previous page I believe.

I am going to do 2 50% water changes with new salt.

If you haven't done so, I would check for stray voltage right away. Whatever it is, it looks to be affecting every coral in your tank. So, I'm with everyone, some large water changes could do some good right now.

If that was true than my SPS would not thrive or even grow, but I don't have any coraline growing in my tanks and my SPS have been thriving and growing like weeds for 2 years.

Search somewhere else as coraline is no way an indication of anything.

There's a few things that could contribute to low or weak coralline growth, but having no coralline growth at all in 2yr old tank with thriving SPS corals is a little hard to believe. If your tank is healthy enough to support SPS, than obviously it will support some coralline.

If your rocks are covered with coralline, how can you tell when it stops growing?

Most of my rocks are covered 100%

IMG_9941.JPG

Bleaches, die out... normally they don't stop growing. But, that's some amazingly beautiful coralline metrokat.

Edited by Asureef

I noticed that you're doing big water changes. How often are you doing them? I remember reading somewhere doing big water changes constantly can stress out corals, since the parameters are changing too fast...

Did you check the parameters for the new salt bucket, like just the freshly mixed water? When I was using Reef Crystals, my parameters tend to be somewhere like 500 for CA and 7.5-8.0 for Alk. I have to slowly add baking soda to raise my Alk to 8.2-8.8 in 5 days... Maybe other Reef Crystal users can chime in the parameters for their tank.

The only thing I'm worried about is, IMO, is that your Alk is a bit too high for me...

Edited by Red_Blenny
I thought I posted them

(4ft 65 gallon tank)

I meant results after the 100% WC

Bleaches, die out... normally they don't stop growing. But, that's some amazingly beautiful coralline metrokat.

Thank you! I call it my Purple Lava.

OP, I thought you determined that it was your salt that was the problem?

If your rocks are covered with coralline, how can you tell when it stops growing?

Most of my rocks are covered 100%

IMG_9941.JPG

ERMAHGERD

im jelly of your coraline algae...i have little to none coralline on my rocks, nothing encrusting like yours

How old are the bulbs? How about a listing of each brand and type of bulb?

Have you tested your mixed saltwater to check for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Calc, KH, anything else?

Sorry for the inane questions, but best cover everything, right? :)

Bulbs are less than 6 months old (about 4)

Tested water before putting in tank, everything came up good.

One more question. What do you use to mix the water at that location? Is it possible the containers are contaminated? How long does the water sit after mixing and before adding to the tank?

Sorry if this was covered before. Again, good luck.

5 Gallon buckets, the containers are rinsed with RO/DI after each use. It sits for less than 4 hours usually, long enough to mix and heat it. I have tried letting it sit with lids on for 24 hrs before using, made no difference

If you haven't done so, I would check for stray voltage right away. Whatever it is, it looks to be affecting every coral in your tank. So, I'm with everyone, some large water changes could do some good right now.

Voltage has been checked. I am going to be doing a 50% change this weekend!

There's a few things that could contribute to low or weak coralline growth, but having no coralline growth at all in 2yr old tank with thriving SPS corals is a little hard to believe. If your tank is healthy enough to support SPS, than obviously it will support some coralline.

I can provide pictures if you would like. Tank is 2 years old, never seen a single spot of coraline. SPS grows great. I would love to have it, but I don't.

I know you had your dry rock in tub with some live rock for 6 months but you should introduce a few pieces of coralline covered rock into your display. I'm sure using all dry rock has something to do with your lack of coralline.