Cultivated Reef

Tinpan's HQI 29

Tinpanva

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Some new pink zippers and what I thought was pink zippers in the foreground turns out to be JF Daisy Dukes

zippers-s_zpsdfe5f096.jpg

Monti's are starting to mingle, didn't relaize how fast these guys grew, might have to snap em off and send them on their merry way.

monti-s_zps2b2f0f6a.jpg

FTS

FTS-1-s_zpse44b5f8c.jpg

RS

r-side-s_zpsdd7b34c2.jpg

LS

l-side-s_zps340670d3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
BattleAthletics

Finally got this project off my bucket list, no more tank STDs, although it may be too pretty for a QT.

20140405_203742_zpske1r1c7w.jpg

f41fda90-d1f4-40a3-a5a1-51ccbd38078e_zps

updates on this too!

Some new pink zippers and what I thought was pink zippers in the foreground turns out to be JF Daisy Dukes

Monti's are starting to mingle, didn't relaize how fast these guys grew, might have to snap em off and send them on their merry way.

Quoted for the alert. Hit the follow button on your own thread so you know when we're drooling over it. I demand more pics! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, added new chalices and some top down shots. Now to work on getting rid of the damn bryopsis!

WWC-S_zps31954b48.jpg

ACE-S_zpsbc8bfc7d.jpg

ACE1-S_zpsac1926d2.jpg

MELON-S_zps204eff74.jpg

Mummy-Eye-S_zps15f8a316.jpg

TOP-DOWN-MONTI-S_zps97896f54.jpg

145-S_zpsfdcf0a3c.jpg

140-S_zpsfe67d657.jpg

130-S_zps08be7ec5.jpg

123-S_zpsc02aa6a1.jpg

136-S_zpsd934794a.jpg

139-S_zpsfb611b53.jpg

Couple of others just for fun.

Sinularia-S_zpsbb5b665e.jpg

FAVIA-S_zpsc321adeb.jpg

MONTI-S_zpse15f6a4c.jpg

ORA-Borealis-S_zpsdd061751.jpg

Lettuce slugs or rabbitfish will take care of that :)

Don't the slugs get pretty big, or am I thinking of something else? Suitable for a 29?

jedimasterben

The slugs are tiny, maybe an inch or so. They don't eat a lot IMHO, so you'd need to get a few of them, but luckily they're super cheap.

Which reminds me, the LFS near me has them for $4 this weekend, gonna pick me up a small gaggle of them :)

• 4 weeks later...

Update - ended up picking up some Tech M last weekend and a sea hare. I figured between me pulling it out, the hare free grazing, and the Tech M treatments, I should get a pretty good handle on this weed from hell. A week later, and I have significant reduction! As my mag still hasn't hit 1600 yet [i'm at 1580] I think this early success is due to the sea hare. The boy never stops eating [nor pooping]. I'm told if I can keep the mag between 1600 - 1700 for 3 weeks that should wipe the remaining spots out and keep it from returning.

we shall see.

Here's a before and after pic of what the sea hare has done in one week. Maybe not so impressive in a pic, but looking at my tank, its amazing.

Weed-Control_zpsf293dda2.jpg

Also popped off a few updated pics, FTS as of tonight (with less ferns!)

FTS-S_zps2d3e8154.jpg

FTS-Tight-S_zpsc5dce2d9.jpg

A few just for fun.

nectar-gods-S_zps4e33147b.jpg

Bam-Bams-S_zps19dfdee4.jpg

And this is the newest Cornbred Coral, Flaming Bugatti. Just got it a few days ago, will take about 30 days for the colors to return. This guy had a fern growing on it also, might as well get him on the display to get treated also eh?

bugatti-side-S_zps95813346.jpg

BattleAthletics

What kind? What will eat that algae?

Fyi your tank should win totm! When is this coming down?

What kind? What will eat that algae?

Fyi your tank should win totm! When is this coming down?

As far as I know, it's just the run of the mill Sea Hare, the lil guy just keeps eating; bryopsis and all. I also started the Tech M treatment, so that may be helping, i dunno. Target is to get mag level up above 1600, and this morning it was 1580, so I'm getting close.

I haven't made much headway with the 93 yet, just picking up small odds and ends, at this rate it will be a winter project. I'm torn on wether to tear this tank down or not, its doing so well i'd kinda like to see where it goes long term, she hits 2 years old in a few days. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

• 1 month later...

Man if my tank can look half this good ill be happy, im inspired please tell me your secret.

No real secret, stability and husbandry. Don't try and make any fast changes, slow and steady will always win the race as far as a reef tank goes.

Try to place corals according to color, contrasting colors make them "pop".

Thanks for the kudos!

Everyday this guys is up in my birdnest, I swear, he's up there having a blast!

Crab-S_zps4733cb0c.jpg

And just within the last week or so, Fin [the clown] has decided to host my sinularia or as my 12yo calls it, the celery coral.

20140720_164343_zpss2wue43c.jpg

Archived