Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Local mystery fish ID

aIIan

3957590[/url]']

I may have missed it, because I admittedly skimmed this thread, but if there is no non-native stock (including live rock), then there is absolutely no reason not to release one or both of these fish. If you wish to keep the sargassumfish and can care for it in the long term, that is fine. The second is a juvenile jack (possibly Caranx hippos) of some sort and cannot be kept for long. It really should be released.

Oh snap, I definitely don't want to raise any jacks in a 23" tank.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha most jacks get large. If you keep local stuff it is good to use dry rock and local algae...etc. don't mix with stuff from all over the globe. Just in case you need to release something back into the wild.

3957632[/url]']

I have got some cool shrimp and crabs when the east wind blows the sargassum in close.

Same here. I always make it a point to have a dip net handy when I'm out in the boat, you never know what you'll find living in that stuff.

When I was a kid we found a baby alligator (more than likely a croc) floating at least twenty miles out.

on the topic of humanely killing fish I've heard dropping them in a glass of rubbing alcohol as it paralyzes them. But im prepared to be proven wrong by the all knowing here.

Have you also heard that it's humane to kill a person by dropping them in a vat of boiling water and putting a lid on top? It's about the same thing. It's really disturbing how many people are so completely misinformed about the appropriate way to euthanize a fish.

To hopefully dispel the incredibly misinformed opinions about euthanizing fish, the AVMA only recommends the use of Finquel (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12271). This is an anesthetic that will put the fish to sleep and frankly, should be something that every aquarist keeps on hand for a number of situations. Doubling the recommended dose will usually euthanize the fish. Add grain alcohol (like vodka) of 25% of the volume of the water in the container AFTER the fish has been completely immobilized by the Finquel, to ensure the fish is passed.

Some people have also recommended the use of clove oil instead of Finquel because it's easier to get. Clove oil is very difficult to get to emulsify into the water, and therefore is not recommended. Finquel can be ordered online, or your vet usually either has some on hand. Again, it's something that every aquarist should have on hand as there are many instances when it is helpful to immobilize fish, and it's cheap.

jedimasterben
Same here. I always make it a point to have a dip net handy when I'm out in the boat, you never know what you'll find living in that stuff.

When I was a kid we found a baby alligator (more than likely a croc) floating at least twenty miles out.

ive seen alligators out pretty damn far, so its not outside the realm of possibility!

Have you also heard that it's humane to kill a person by dropping them in a vat of boiling water and putting a lid on top? It's about the same thing.

good enough for headhunting tribes, good enough for me

I send all my sick fish to Steve-o. He swallows them and if they come back up alive, I take them back and they live to see another day.

good enough for headhunting tribes, good enough for me

I like you.

So wait, it's okay to od your fish on drugs, then give it the equivalent of 1000 times it's body weight in alcohol?

####, that how I wanna go. I approve this message.

Booze can get expensive, I think the way I would do it is go down to the dock and chuck the fish at some pelicans, I don't have that option so ill just go to the landfill and throw it at the seagulls. Death, the way nature intended.

jedimasterben
Booze can get expensive, I think the way I would do it is go down to the dock and chuck the fish at some pelicans, I don't have that option so ill just go to the landfill and throw it at the seagulls. Death, the way nature intended.

Fish gotta swim, birds gotta eat!

+1

What happens when they need to put down a shamu? o.o

AquaticEngineer
+1

They call the Navy of course ;) They've been dropping Cetaceans like a bad habit for years.

+1

They call the Navy of course They've been dropping Cetaceans like a bad habit for years.

and this is were I leave the thread before I get in trouble :unsure:

AquaticEngineer

and this is were I leave the thread before I get in trouble :unsure:

Since I live in Oregon I think this is obligitory.

Looks like a smaller version of these here in this thread.

3517pf4.jpg

These fish can be legally caught with a cast-net by anglers wishing to use them as bait, especially for Squirrel Fish, which are then used as Grouper bait.

Archived