Innovative Marine Aquariums

Local mystery fish ID

aIIan

jedimasterben
Kid was 6, not collected illegally. That is why you should always hire child labor.

the way it was explained to me is that anyone without a license (such as a six year old) cannot collect anything. idk though, its been a good while since i was told that, it may have changed.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is not illegal to release native species back into the wild. In this case it is advisable. It's unlikely, if not impossible, that these fish have been exposed to any pathogens that they wouldn't normally encounter. If left in an uncycled tank, they will be exposed to ammonia, the insides of their gills will burn, and they will die a slow painful death.

P.S. it's inhumane to freeze a fish to euthanize it. I don't know where you got this information, but the AVMA and every other organization that I can think of specifically says this method is NOT acceptable because it is slow, painful and torturous to the fish. It's disgusting that you would do something so cruel to a fish, and it's pathetic that you continue to spew this misinformation around.

I 100% agree with you. There is no reason why you shouldnt be able to release the fish after it has Ben in your tank. Don't worry, I think any bacteria, parasites, Isopods, copepods, ich or other diseases will just "fall off" the fish the second you take them out of your tank. (by the way, bang that hooker. Stds work in the same fashion)

There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that fish interpret pain. Are their nerve endings? Yes. Do their brains have the capability to process pain as humans interpret it? No.

Fish have a lateral line of nerve endings along their spinal area and that's it. They feel sensations of touch, but as of now, believing that they can perceive "pain" is laughable.

I'm calling it... Due to your douche-baggery, I am annointingyou most hated member of nano reef. Remember those people who joined nano reef just to spam the boards about buying pocketbooks and shoes? Yeah, I liked them more. They weren't jerks.

the way it was explained to me is that anyone without a license (such as a six year old) cannot collect anything. idk though, its been a good while since i was told that, it may have changed.

I don't know about florida laws too much, but I know a child isn't held accountable for crimes (kinda laughing about catching a fish being a crime) until they are 7 I think.

I 100% agree with you. There is no reason why you shouldnt be able to release the fish after it has Ben in your tank. Don't worry, I think any bacteria, parasites, Isopods, copepods, ich or other diseases will just "fall off" the fish the second you take them out of your tank. (by the way, bang that hooker. Stds work in the same fashion)

There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that fish interpret pain. Are their nerve endings? Yes. Do their brains have the capability to process pain as humans interpret it? No.

Fish have a lateral line of nerve endings along their spinal area and that's it. They feel sensations of touch, but as of now, believing that they can perceive "pain" is laughable.

I'm calling it... Due to your douche-baggery, I am annointingyou most hated member of nano reef. Remember those people who joined nano reef just to spam the boards about buying pocketbooks and shoes? Yeah, I liked them more. They weren't jerks.

I don't know about florida laws too much, but I know a child isn't held accountable for crimes (kinda laughing about catching a fish being a crime) until they are 7 I think.

Should I believe the American Veterinary Association when they say that freezing a live fish is painful, inhumane, and turturous, or should I believe the 12 year old "Patback" with a 10 gallon tank on a shelf?

It's not my fault that you and jedimaster continue to spew stupid and false statements that any moron with access to google can refute. Why don't you stop giving advice that's based on lies, old wives tails, and conjecture? Then, there won't be anything for me to argue with.

jedimasterben

im not sure who would be accountable for such a thing, i honestly doubt anything would become of it if it were found out other than a 'dont do it again' to the parents.

yeah, doesnt seem like its that big of a deal, but there are stranger 'crimes' that you can commit, such as my personal favorite from richmond, kentucky, no eating ice cream outdoors on sunday. :lol:

Link to study? I can tell you the Obama administration has found a talking dog, doesn't mean it's true.

Either have your cake, or eat it.

The same association frowns upon clubbing fish after catching them. By that logic, nobody Could ever eat fish, since taking them out of water and icing is "torture" and clubbin on the head to instantly kill is " inhumane" btw, im 11. THANKS FOR THE CONFIDENCE BOOST!!111!!1. I must sound so much more mature if you thought I was 12!1!1!

There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that fish interpret pain.

There is proof, and number of studies on this. And even if they did not "feel" paint. I would never but my pet in a freezer and think that it was ok.

If you want proof that fish feel pain see this --->

And you will find a lot more on the web if you do a little research :)

Lol not sure if you're joking or not. I've thread jacked enough tho, you can send me a on if you want to have a respectable debate on the topic.

jedimasterben
FLORIDA SALTWATER RECREATIONAL FISHING REGULATIONS 2012

You do not need a license if you are:

■■A child under 16 years of age.

http://myfwc.com/media/2075479/saltwater_r...ions_adfree.pdf

very good. looks like what the fwc guy told me a couple of years ago is different. it doesnt specifically mention collection (just fishing) but i assume they group them together. thank you for the link. :)

as for freezing not being humane, i would imagine the 40+ degree temperature difference that seems to paralyze them for the few seconds that they remain alive just isnt good enough. hmm. i wonder it would take to humanely euthanize a fish, then.

TeflonTomDosh
Why don't you stop giving advice that's based on lies, old wives tails, and conjecture? Then, there won't be anything for me to argue with.

This guy is obviously educated. I'm going with him. Where do wives get tails from anyways?

jedimasterben
This guy is obviously educated. I'm going with him. Where do wives get tails from anyways?

mine had one. i put her in the freezer and it fell off.

Don't worry, I think any bacteria, parasites, Isopods, copepods, ich or other diseases will just "fall off" the fish the second you take them out of your tank. (by the way, bang that hooker. Stds work in the same fashion)

*scratches head*

Wtf pat?

i wonder it would take to humanely euthanize a fish, then.

To be honest? Large knife, off with the head. Instant.. and the only actual humane answer.

The first one is a sargassum fish

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargassumfish

Aptly named due to them residing in/around clumps of sargassum seaweed. Sure he won't mind a tank full of live rock and nothing to eat though.

It is not hard to get anglerfish/sargassumfish to eat it just takes more effort than dumping in shrimp cubes

Wait... So there's no laws against catching these fish? :mellow:

Not laws persay just regulations enforced by state government. ;)

Just as doctors don't understand how our mind works we have no evidence that unanimously supports the theories that fish can or cannot feel pain. But just food for thought, Pain is no different than regular touching sensations it is just unpleasant. So if you say fish cannot feel pain then it shouldn't be able to feel anything at all.

FLORIDA SALTWATER RECREATIONAL FISHING REGULATIONS 2012

You do not need a license if you are:

■■A child under 16 years of age.

http://myfwc.com/media/2075479/saltwater_r...ions_adfree.pdf

+1

Not laws persay just regulations enforced by state government. ;)

Any regulation in particular? I was all over th FWC's site last night looking for a mention of Sargassum Fish with no luck.

As a 6 year old collecting fish even the law doesn't know what they're talking about at times. We were in the Keys in June & and a fired up young FWC officer was ready to hang me for being one fish over the limit of Yellow Tail Snapper. I tried to explain that the kid had caught many if them but he wasn't buying it. Luckily his sup ended up showing up and set him straight.

Ended up getting a ticket for a faulty whistle (gasp) so in the end the super trooper got what he wanted.

jedimasterben
To be honest? Large knife, off with the head. Instant.. and the only actual humane answer.

i was looking for a... less... messy... option. ;)

You could stomp it :) thats pretty fast. I would suggest wearing shoes to do so but thats optional.

:lol:

Lol you laugh but, "humane euthinization" really isnt about what is painless and easy for the animal. Its about what is not messy and doesnt feel meaj to people. If we all honestly cared how they died then we would shoot them with high caliber riffles.

jedimasterben
Lol you laugh but, "humane euthinization" really isnt about what is painless and easy for the animal. Its about what is not messy and doesnt feel meaj to people. If we all honestly cared how they died then we would shoot them with high caliber riffles.

messy at a distance, gotcha ;)

oh my, I mistyped "tale" at 1am on my iPad. Yeah, that shows that I'm uneducated. At least I didn't advise people to inhumanely torture their fish until the fish suffered a slow, painful death in between bags of frozen broccoli, like jedimasterben. That would be truly ridiculous.

jedimasterben
oh my, I mistyped "tale" at 1am on my iPad. Yeah, that shows that I'm uneducated. At least I didn't advise people to inhumanely torture their fish until the fish suffered a slow, painful death in between bags of frozen broccoli, like jedimasterben. That would be truly ridiculous.

+1

Amphiprion1

I may have missed it, because I admittedly skimmed this thread, but if there is no non-native stock (including live rock), then there is absolutely no reason not to release one or both of these fish. If you wish to keep the sargassumfish and can care for it in the long term, that is fine. The second is a juvenile jack (possibly Caranx hippos) of some sort and cannot be kept for long. It really should be released.

on the topic of humanely killing fish I've heard dropping them in a glass of rubbing alcohol as it paralyzes them. But im prepared to be proven wrong by the all knowing here.

The second one looks like some sort of jack. I have kept fish from the local waters here in NC in the past and had some luck. Shrimp, urchins, horse conchs, hermits, anemones, and all sorts of fish. I have got some cool shrimp and crabs when the east wind blows the sargassum in close.

on the topic of humanely killing fish I've heard dropping them in a glass of rubbing alcohol as it paralyzes them. But im prepared to be proven wrong by the all knowing here.

Actually I have heard that too, but IMO it's a waste of money. I prefer to allow my aquatic life to expire naturally. *Prepares for barrage of PETA* In my Biology class we took goldfish and dipped them in rubbing alcohol then looked at their fins under a microscope. It was pretty interesting to see their capillaries constrict.

Archived