ReefCleaners.org

Bubble Tip Anemone White Strings?

jeff427

I have had this bubble tip anemone for two weeks now, it decided to move twice with the last move to the back of the tank. Today i noticed it had some nasty looking white string/worm like stuff all over inside of it and also some on its outside. Is this thing wormed out, about to croak, or just some stage of BTA i dont know about?

30g Biocube

NanoTech LED upgrade

Weekly 25% water change

Tested water last night

salinity 1.023

PH 8.1

Amonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

PIC Here

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B61Aa7uB6WnZNlAycVNwX1ZCb0k

Looks like it's guts. Nems will sometimes extrude their guts, when feeding. Yours on the other hand doesnt look too happy. How does it's mouth look? Is it tightly shut, wide open, noticeably elongated? How bright are your LEDs? Nems will hide for a number of resons, so its kind of hard to say. Any other changes to the tank, while its been in there? Do you dose anything? I dosed Ca (or Alk, forget which), and the cloud of it swept across my RBTA, it shrivled and hid for two days.

Looks like it's guts. Nems will sometimes extrude their guts, when feeding. Yours on the other hand doesnt look too happy. How does it's mouth look? Is it tightly shut, wide open, noticeably elongated? How bright are your LEDs? Nems will hide for a number of resons, so its kind of hard to say. Any other changes to the tank, while its been in there? Do you dose anything? I dosed Ca (or Alk, forget which), and the cloud of it swept across my RBTA, it shrivled and hid for two days.

Im glad its not worms! I haven't dosed anything to this point, unless adding a bag of chemi-pure elite counts, i put a half unit in two days ago. Here is hoping it doesn't die and crash my cash.

his mouth seems closed, but not tightly. to be honest im not sure the wattage of the LEDs. The do get growth out of my LPS and SPS no problem.

As long as its not melting. Nems look REALLY bad before they die. Check out karensroseanemones.net good info with pics.

As long as its not melting. Nems look REALLY bad before they die. Check out karensroseanemones.net good info with pics.

I sure wish i had that link two weeks ago! Great find.

Amphiprion1

Did you attempt to feed the anemone at all? If you are feeding one and get extrusion of mesenterial filaments like that, you aren't feeding it properly--either too much, too large, or too often. Healthy specimens won't typically do that and if they do, it is very rare. Some stressor caused the reaction. I would keep a careful eye out for the next few days/weeks. Is the anemone still moving? That should be one of the first steps toward success--providing it a spot to settle down, which is usually a crevice. If it is still moving, something is not adequate or to its liking.

The anemone died. It was looking even worse each day then this morning i opened the lid to do the water change and noticed the water stunk really bad, super strong "fish tank" smell that was unusual. I found the anemone at the back of the tank on a rock and it looked like it was melting, reached in to grab it and it just fell right off the rock not even holding on. I did a 50% water change to get all the nasty that i could out of the water, here is hoping i caught it early enough and the tank doesn't crash. Probably the last anemone i will own.

Archived