Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Bonsai experiment

sorgan

hey guys, a while back i started having this crazy idea of having a very small tank housing a single species of SPS (high color) and having it scaped in a bonsai style way.

now i want to start with a frag as the point of the tank is the journey so when its up and running many pictures will be taken.

unfortantly for me i told my LFS about the idea, he - as always- ran with it and now the decision has been made to have 2 SPS, one 'tree' and one 'grass' to complete the bonsai idea.

so down to the nitty gritty, the tank is about 16l, i will be using a HOB filter (minus the media) and the smallest heater i can find. i am hoping to use a TMC ATO for ease and i will source a small powerhead from somewhere. lighting will be taken care of with eaither a PAR 38 bulb or a TMC tile.

The scape will be one piece of LR (puttied to the deck) off centre to which the 'tree' will be grown. I have not yet decided on sand as eventually the bottom of the tank (i hope) will be totally encrusted with a green montipora (grass)

live stock... well TBH i am not sure what i could possibly pop in, a snail or two i guess, no fish i would imagine as the tank is pretty small.

the project is going to be a bit draw out i am afraid as im about to buy a radion for my main tank LOL.

thanks for looking guys.

For grass have you thought about GSP? Grows very fast and will give you faster results.

Very nice idea, BTW.

:) that was the plan, I'm trying to decide if it should be just green or green with red polyps (flowers in grass?) think I may just go green.

so i dug the tank out and gave it a scrub and also found an old arcpod to make it look more tanky.

im going to paint both panels closest to the walls in a nice sky blue i think.

9cf199fc.jpg

also need to trim the foam stuff.

i want to do it all in this tank, TBH with the tree i am open ti ideas, the coral just needs to be a nice color (or a few) and cabable of growing into a tree like shape.

i think i can control (notice i say think) the shape of the 'tree' by removing unwanted growth when it appears, for example i would want a thick single stem that branches out at the top, with proper 'pruning' and the right flow i hope i can get the shape i want...

it is an experiment after all LOL

Got the paints out today and now the tank looks like

225a0bf2.jpg

6e9572b0.jpg

246874d3.jpg

55802a37.jpg

I need to get some new rubber suckers for the power head and heater I think as mine have gone stiff.

Hopefully will buy some LR at the weekend to get things moving.

Use cyphastria

Meteor shower cyphastria would look sick too. Maybe a speciosa, turaki, aspera, echinata, nasuta, loripes, pulchra, or abrotanoides acropora would be a good tree?

Some good shouts there, tbh I think it's going to be a case of trial and error. Eventually a frag will grow the way I want it to LOL!

so i decided i wanted something to cover the in tank equipment

17875b54.jpg

TADA!!!

there will be a gap at the bottom but i hope to cover it with some LR in the distance mountain ranges.

so i decided i wanted something to cover the in tank equipment

17875b54.jpg

TADA!!!

there will be a gap at the bottom but i hope to cover it with some LR in the distance mountain ranges.

I like your solution as opposed to a solid black acrylic wall. I bet it will have some interesting coralline growth. Maybe you could even find some frags on plugs and mount them in the holes to look like vines growing up.

not as much as me! LOL

the only problem is now i am looking at all the picos on this forum, then looking at mine, then looking at the picos, then at mine....

im wondering if i am going to be able to stick with the 2 coral idea. i sure hope so.

Archived