Top Shelf Aquatics

Tank Crashing

ArielHdez

Hey guys needed some input as to why my tank may be crashing. I have a JBJ Nanocube 28g with the compact fluorescent lighting. The tank is four months old and everything has always been good. Here is the problem. Today I did a water change of about 25% went out and when I came home 2 hours later all my corals were closed up, my ultra maxi mini anemone is all shriveled up, about 6 turbo snails were upside down on the sand. Everything looks horrible. First thing I did was check my parameters, everything perfect. I went to my LFS where I always get my water and the guy told me that maybe its something in the water I can't test for. He said to wait till morning. By morning I fear everything will be dead. I have not dosed my tank with anything. Just notices six line wrasse and sand sifting starfish gone. I'm afraid nothing will survive the night. Any thoughts on what could be going on will be helpful.

I have:

Turbo Snails

Hermit crabs

Emerald crab

Cleaner shrimp

Zoanthids

Torch

Pulsing xenia

Jasmine polyps

Ultra Maxi Mini anemone

Purple firefish

Yellow watchman goby

six line wrasse (RIP)

Recent changes made to the tank? What are you using for water changes? Tap, RO+salt, saltwater?

I had something like this happen to one of my tanks after dosing some chemicals that ate up the oxygen. Get some air stones in there, aim the flow heads up to the surface to get more oxygen, turn on the skimmer to get everything you can out, do a 50% water change with RO/DI or natural saltwater, whatever you have on hand.

Recent changes made to the tank? What are you using for water changes? Tap, RO+salt, saltwater?

I had something like this happen to one of my tanks after dosing some chemicals that ate up the oxygen. Get some air stones in there, aim the flow heads up to the surface to get more oxygen, turn on the skimmer to get everything you can out, do a 50% water change with RO/DI or natural saltwater, whatever you have on hand.

I am using saltwater from LFS the same one I always use. Don't have any water on hand but will try the airstone immediately.

thanks

Wow. Hope you get to the bottom of this. Check for stray voltage from a heater, etc. Check your temp, yada, yada. I'd do a big water change with distilled H2O and salt I mixed myself. Something could be wrong with your LFS's RO/DI or salt mix.

Sounds like a nightmare, hope things turn out okay.

Wow. Hope you get to the bottom of this. Check for stray voltage from a heater, etc. Check your temp, yada, yada. I'd do a big water change with distilled H2O and salt I mixed myself. Something could be wrong with your LFS's RO/DI or salt mix.

Sounds like a nightmare, hope things turn out okay.

Thanks I appreciate your concern. Will post tomorrow with overnight damage. Hope its not too bad

northeastern

personally id make my own water. either buying rodi from a different store or a local reefer (post on a local forum someone will help). that way you know the water is good and do the biggest water change you can.

then repeat.

Id assume something happened to the water you had (either at the store or once you purchased it). and its pissing everything off. but could also be things like stray voltage ect.

You should really, for the future, buy a bucket of Reef Crystals ($50 to mix like 200 gallons or more) that way you can just run down the the grocery store whenever you have tank issues and buy some distilled water. Then you could mix how much ever you needed to do a WC and save your tank.

Run carbon if you have it, just in case something spilled into the tank. Not sure if that is even possible though since it is covered...

RayWhisperer
Check with lfs to see what kind of salt they are using. I would check the salinity to see if it too low or too high
This. sounds to me like you may have gotten fresh water. Accidents happen.

Also, the heater. Check it. Especially if you didn't unplug it before taking water out, or it happens to be a stealth heater.

Archived