Coral Vue Hydros

50G SPS CUBE

Finding Paulo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finding Paulo
Nano420 ... for recommendations on the diatoms and what to add, I think I covered that in my first reply. I also suggested what test kits you should have.

As to the circulation (turnovers of the tank) since your skimmer and other equipment is in the sump or hooked up to it, the only turnover you are getting is from that pump that pushes the water back to your tank from the sump.

If that pump is aged at 495 GPH (I guess at zero feet of head), then the amount of water that actually gets pushed back to the tank is going to be a lot lower depending on how high the pump has to push the water.

Not sure if the instructions you got indicate what the output was a say 4 feet but IMO that is probably a lot less than 495 GPH, maybe as low as 370 to max of 400 gallons per hour.

400 divided by the number of gallons of water in the tank will give you the turnover rate ...

Yes you can add more rock but you will need to be careful what you add as it there are lots of life forms on there some may die off and that is going to create another cycle, probably not a high level one but a cycle nevertheless, so you will need to test the water for ammonia and nitrite after you add the rock as you do not want to have what is now in the tank die-off and pollute the water again ...

You suggested totally dead rock and that would be an option but do not just add any rock, it should be dead coral pieces as they will not suddenly alter the water chemistry due to what they leach out. You can probably find that kind at any LFS ... do not use artificial stuff like what is sold at some of the chain pet stores as you never know what is in it and where it came from.

I have known hobbyists who bought such artificial rock and had issues and I have also known hobbyists who bought real dead coral rock but that came from tanks that had been treated with chemicals (e.g. copper) and those will leach back into the water. So buy from a reputable store and make sure that the rock you buy was to used in tanks that were treated with copper or other additives that could cause harm.

Run GAC in the sump, as I assume you will. You have that resin reactor and I would not start using that till everything has stabilized and until all your levels are at the desired levels.

Whether to add a carbon reactor as you were asking depends on the calcium demand of the tank and whether water changes using a good quality salt can maintain the desired Ca++ levels. If they can then you may not need one right now, but you may later when you have more animals in the tank and when the calcium demand increases and the water changes cannot maintain that level.

I know this is a long message and that you may have more questions so feel free to post them here and I will reply and suspect others will as well.

Hopefully I did not confuse you with all the info ... Good luck and let us know how things are progressing and please go to my thread as well as I posted some more information there for you as well so others can respond to all your questions too ... If you have other questions please post them there. Thanks.

Albert

------------------------------

My Tunrover rate isnt that great. i think i'll be switching out the return pump to a tunze 1073 which actually gives me 500GPH @4ft of head. And as far as the diatoms i will be taking your advice with a proper CUC and a large water change. As far as the BIoreactor shoudl i take it out until my levels are stable because im with you i dont really have a reason to be running it right now. As for GAC, is Chemipure not enough? im currently running both chemipure and purigen. Uglyfish educated me briefly on how running both purigen and a bioreactor will only raise PH levels. so i took the purigen out for now. Im waiting about two months so i can finally afford a Calcium reactor /CO2 system. i think that is the correct way to go ... but i will dose until then. Albert Thiel thanks so much for your time and informational replies.

Ahh, the classic corona filtration system. I heard it really reduces those nitrates.

LOL

albertthiel
My Tunrover rate isnt that great. i think i'll be switching out the return pump to a tunze 1073 which actually gives me 500GPH @4ft of head. And as far as the diatoms i will be taking your advice with a proper CUC and a large water change. As far as the BIoreactor shoudl i take it out until my levels are stable because im with you i dont really have a reason to be running it right now. As for GAC, is Chemipure not enough? im currently running both chemipure and purigen. Uglyfish educated me briefly on how running both purigen and a bioreactor will only raise PH levels. so i took the purigen out for now. Im waiting about two months so i can finally afford a Calcium reactor /CO2 system. i think that is the correct way to go ... but i will dose until then. Albert Thiel thanks so much for your time and informational replies.

Yes a stronger pump is definitely a good idea and will give you a higher turnover. Additional current can be provided in the tank by using one of the newer types of power heads.

I would not use the Bio reactor yet since you have a skimmer and GAC running ... once you have more livestock then depending on the water quality and the DOC it will then be an additional help in keeping the aquarium water in good shape. If you use Chemipure then you may want to wait with the GAC but I personally prefer GAC over the Chemipure but what you decide in that respect is up to you of course.

On the calcium reactor ... wait till you see how the calcium levels maintain themselves in the tank and then decide whether or to you need it. It will depend on what you keep in the tank. The higher the calcium demand the greater the likelihood that you will need it so if you are going to keep a lot of SPS corals you will probably find that it is indeed a good way to maintain the Ca++ levels.

I hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have any

Albert

Finding Paulo
Yes a stronger pump is definitely a good idea and will give you a higher turnover. Additional current can be provided in the tank by using one of the newer types of power heads.

I would not use the Bio reactor yet since you have a skimmer and GAC running ... once you have more livestock then depending on the water quality and the DOC it will then be an additional help in keeping the aquarium water in good shape. If you use Chemipure then you may want to wait with the GAC but I personally prefer GAC over the Chemipure but what you decide in that respect is up to you of course.

On the calcium reactor ... wait till you see how the calcium levels maintain themselves in the tank and then decide whether or to you need it. It will depend on what you keep in the tank. The higher the calcium demand the greater the likelihood that you will need it so if you are going to keep a lot of SPS corals you will probably find that it is indeed a good way to maintain the Ca++ levels.

I hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have any

Albert

it makes sense. ill take the bio reactor offline until nitrate and phosphate levels become unstable due to livestock. never tried GAC but will definitely try it out when i replace my chemipure in about 2 months. yeah i want to dose with a 2 part system (looking at esv bionic brand) and see where that takes me with my calcium levels and ph levels as well. Albert you have been very informational and tremendous help in my build. thanks for everything.

albertthiel
it makes sense. ill take the bio reactor offline until nitrate and phosphate levels become unstable due to livestock. never tried GAC but will definitely try it out when i replace my chemipure in about 2 months. yeah i want to dose with a 2 part system (looking at esv bionic brand) and see where that takes me with my calcium levels and ph levels as well. Albert you have been very informational and tremendous help in my build. thanks for everything.

You are most welcome ... and what you describe above makes sense to me so that is what I would do while keeping an eye on your water quality parameters to determine whether or not you need to change your approach.

Any more questions let me know ...

Albert

Finding Paulo

This last saturday was such a chill day for me! Guess what came through!

my dream machine! haha Korallin 1502calcium reactor

calciumreactor.jpg

so beautiful.

regulator.jpg

i ordered the co2 tank on marine depot and should be coming very soon!

anyone have any experience with these??

where to i put the inlet and outtake hose??

and while im at it where should i dial in my chiller?

anyone live in LA that i can pay for some extra help? im semi serious.

what should i do about my CUC? any suggestions on what to get and where to get them?

will post more pics later this week.

albertthiel
This last saturday was such a chill day for me! i recently put up a WTB post for a korallin calcium reactor for fun because i saw all these crazy WTB posts and i still dont know how but ended up getting a pm back about a brand new one and even got it delivered!!

i ordered the co2 tank on marine depot and should be coming very soon!

anyone have any experience with these??

where to i put the inlet and outtake hose??

and while im at it where should i dial in my chiller?

anyone live in LA that i can pay for some extra help? im semi serious.

what should i do about my CUC? any suggestions on what to get and where to get them?

will post more pics later this week.

My suspicion is that it will come with full instructions ...

CUC's Reefcleaners.org would be my suggestion

When you have all the CO2 stuff and the reactor you will need to read both sets of instructions carefully. And if you have any questions after that post to my thread and ask ...

Albert

Albert

• 1 month later...

Finally! got some time to work on the tank. it has just been sitting in my house for a few weeks! here's some pics but still no corals!! expecting to buy live stock end of the month!

also had a a few questions. please give me feedback.

finally got my cabinet made for my electricals and other things

DSC_0012.jpg

trying to be neat or organized loll.

need to find a better ato reserve tank!

DSC_0017.jpg

current lights. radions xr30w.

DSC_0013.jpg

new tir lens installed! lens do make a difference imo. higher quality than just the reflector with the glass plate.

DSC_0142.jpg

the offset of my ceiling made it nearly impossible. but handled!! B)

DSC_0015.jpg

idk .. still wondering if these lights are worth 750.00 + another bill for hanging kit and lens.

to others that own these, what do you guys think?

DSC_0016.jpg

side views

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

so heres my question

i bought the bubble magus bm t01 and was wondering if i can put it in where my electical cabinet is instead of where my sump is... i notice alot of members here put it right above the sump.

DSC_0136.jpg

ofcourse i'd use a better bracket. but will this be a problem? im concerned with the head of the outtake line being too long, whereas the intake line would be less than a foot. i really do not want to put any electrical equipment in the sump cabinet

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

anyways tahts my update for now. i will add livestock shortly. prob end of the month. pretty excited!

what do you guys think about the whole dosing pump situation??

also it says use 1 ml per gallon to raise 16 ppm, i have a 50 gallon tank but after the rocks and sand not sure how many gallons of water i really have. how do i dose?

That is one nice and clean set up! In fact it's so clean you still don't have a corals in it for crying out loud! :D

Your tank has been cycling for three or four months, right? I am a patient man, but there is no way I could wait that long, lol.

Hey, good luck with the stocking. I would think with the Radion and those new lenses, you shoulde be able to grow anything. B)

That is a tight setup, looking forward to watching it grow out when you put some corals in. Why did you change lights if you do not mind my asking? Obviously the Radion can do whatever you want for that size tank but your Cadlights unit looked decent also.

Whooa, love it!! Classy and minimal house you got there to match your rimless tank and stand haha.

thanks man! im a fan of your tank. really clean!

I love the tank!

Awesome tank. Have any more shepard fairey prints, or just the kobe?

thanks guys! um... right now i only have the KOBE one! know any places to get some cool art? looking for some for the new home!

you have a ca reactor and a doser for 2 part?

Great setup! It is nice that you are using a Ca reactor. I'll be following along.

Hey wsupp Arkayology. sorry to hear about your 60. seriously sucks man.. i almost cried for u. but on the filp side looking forward to your 40! RIMLESS FOR LIFE.i totally forgot to mention that i sold the Ca reactor. i decided that going all sps is not what i want to do anymore. i think im gona go for all variety of different corals. with that, i thought the Ca reactor was overkill. the 2 part should be enough.

That ceiling mount looks like something MC Escher would like.

Goin' up the sideways stairs...

haha yeah the ecotech mounting kit is supernice.

That is one nice and clean set up! In fact it's so clean you still don't have a corals in it for crying out loud! :D

Your tank has been cycling for three or four months, right? I am a patient man, but there is no way I could wait that long, lol.

Hey, good luck with the stocking. I would think with the Radion and those new lenses, you shoulde be able to grow anything. B)

hey dude thanks alot! hahahha yeah i kept it so clean i dont even have corals!loll dude im really the most impatient person. having no money helps alot! hahah

mortgage, girlfriend, and this hobby = my full time salary aka my dreams. HAHA

ps your aquascape is one of the best ive seen. wish i spent more time on mine! super jealous.

That is a tight setup, looking forward to watching it grow out when you put some corals in. Why did you change lights if you do not mind my asking? Obviously the Radion can do whatever you want for that size tank but your Cadlights unit looked decent also.

yeah im looking forward to seeing how corals grow under this light. yeah i plan on changing the lights out a few times to figure out what i exactly want so i thought i'd start off with the expensive one so i can keep switching them out. i like the brightness on the cadlights fixture but i didnt like how you werent able to adjust the main multichip light. also wanted stronger supplement lights for coral growth. The radion is actually perfect for me. theyre colors are endless and love how you can match and k spectrum to any halides. i have a pretty awesome gradual build on the light and the 100% chance of lightning around midnight helps me indicate its time for bed!

thanks for all the feedbacks! B)

but any feedback on my questions about the dosing pump?

1. will the dosing pump be okay in my side cabinet? i notice everyone puts it on top of their sump .. i dont want to do this bc of humidity issues. but if i put the pump in my side cabinet the outtake line will be aroudn 4 ft of head and the intake line will be around a foot. will there performance loss?

2. and also i have a 50 gallon cube but with all the rocks and sand i do not know how to calculate the water in there. i sort of need to know bc the esv b-ionic says to put 1ml for every galllon of water to raise 16ppm.

:o WHAT!!! Bad Ass Tank!!!! I'm a fan!!

The pump looks good on the side cabinet. You should give it a test run with water after you prime the hosing and just give it a run measuring the dosing. Start off slow and keep measuring your levels, just in case.

I am looking forward to seeing your tank mature. It looks like your on the right track in having an amazing sps tank.

The dosing pump looks fine being on the side. Don't see anything wrong with that. :)

:o WHAT!!! Bad Ass Tank!!!! I'm a fan!!

The pump looks good on the side cabinet. You should give it a test run with water after you prime the hosing and just give it a run measuring the dosing. Start off slow and keep measuring your levels, just in case.

I am looking forward to seeing your tank mature. It looks like your on the right track in having an amazing sps tank.

thanks! yeah i gave it a test run yesterday and with that much head on the out take after priming its still very accurate. im currently measuring how much Ca, Alk, and Mag my tank is consuming so i can set the pumps to replenish only what is needed.

but any advice on how to measure exactly how much water is in my tank? if i add 1ml it gives me 16 ppm. i guess i dont need to know exactly how much water there is if i start slow and keep testing.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I never replied back in June on your questions, guest I forgot to "follow". Well you have figured all that out now.

Did you ditch the Ca Reactor idea? If so, good, tank is too small for a Ca Reactor.

Do you have an updated FTS with corals? If you have any SPS yet that is.

:)

Archived