Coral Vue Hydros

Do you put kalkwasser in your ATO?

chabooky386

chabooky386

Just curious on how many people use Kalkwasser in their top off unit. I am looking to make sure that I am keeping my levels and parameters straight across the board and I have heard some good benefits with using Kalkwasser.

Thought and opinions appreciated!

Nano sapiens

Yes, I've been adding Kalk to my ATO for about 3-1/2 years in my 12g Nano. I've been using it for 20+ years and I've never had an issue.

Yes, I've been adding Kalk to my ATO for about 3-1/2 years in my 12g Nano. I've been using it for 20+ years and I've never had an issue.

Can you give more detail? How big is your ATO tank. How much Kalk do you add to it and how often? Do you have issues with slush at the bottom? Does your ATO pump have trouble (i have heard it can cause issues).

Thanks for sharing!

As long as you are adding the correct amount of kalk then there is no need to use 2 part until kalk cannot provide the proper dosage. Kalk also provides PH benefits. I used it in my 75 with amazing results.

The best way to use kalk is to use a still reservoir with a pump pulling from it after it has settled overnight. Faster if you add vinegar to it.

It's been awhile since I've looked up kalk but replacing 1% of your tanks volume at full saturation of 2tsp/gallon will raise your alk 1.4dkh and 7 ppm calcium .

Nano sapiens
Can you give more detail? How big is your ATO tank. How much Kalk do you add to it and how often? Do you have issues with slush at the bottom? Does your ATO pump have trouble (i have heard it can cause issues).

Thanks for sharing!

I don't use an ATO pump, my ATO is a gravity fed 'Pet Bottle'. I just add a predetermined amount of clear Kalkwasser each time I refill the ATOs.

If I were going to use a pump, I'd only use the clear Kalkwasser (siphoned out a day after the excess settles on the bottom of the mixing container). Even doing this, a typical pump may have issues after a time, but it should last longer if the abrasive calcium hydroxide/calcium carbonate particles aren't going through it.

I've been adding a 3 tablespoons to a small container that I don't disturb in my ATO. Not sure if it's doing any good, as I don't stir it up or anything.

Nano sapiens
I've been adding a 3 tablespoons to a small container that I don't disturb in my ATO. Not sure if it's doing any good, as I don't stir it up or anything.

For Kalwasser to be effective the Calcium hydroxide (or Calcium oxide) has to be mixed really well with water.

For Kalwasser to be effective the Calcium hydroxide (or Calcium oxide) has to be mixed really well with water.

How do you get it to settle out? I would let it sit for days and it would still be suspended in the water, clouding the tank.

it should settle out, if it isnt then something is going wrong, check how much calc you are adding to freshwater (2 TEAspoons per gallon of freshwater). Also, wash out your mixing container, some strains of bacteria can bloom in kalkwasser.

I use it with great success, I use an aqualifter and put a piece of tape around the tube so it never pulls from the bottom of the ATO res. If you have ALOT of evap then you may need to decrease the concentration of kalk. Other than that, its a great thing to have unless you have a ton of hard corals which exceed the capacity of kalk.

chabooky386
How do you get it to settle out? I would let it sit for days and it would still be suspended in the water, clouding the tank.

Maybe just have a pump in it circulating it around before it gets put in.

lagunastudio

I use the avast K1 stirrer, I don't think the tunze pump can handle kalk. Since I added this to my system ph, calcium and alk have been very steady. It took about a week for it to even out.

Archived