Coral Vue Hydros

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel
HERES MINE!!! Been growing these two for about 5 years now.

dsc0338m.jpg

They look super Zeph and if you have had them for 5 years you are obviously doing things the right way.

Now since they need iron I guess they are in another tank than your Clams ... :)

What light are you using for them and how many hours a day do you run it ... I used to run just an inexpensive standard house bulb and keep it far enough away from the leaves to prevent heating of the mangrove and that worked just fine ... but I guess that nowadays maybe different lighting is used ???

Thanks for the post

Albert

====================================

Fish that swim upside down

Assessor fishes ....

Check out this description of them (they are hard to find though)

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/11/28/assessor-randalli/

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
  • Like 1
They look super Zeph and if you have had them for 5 years you are obviously doing things the right way.

Now since they need iron I guess they are in another tank than your Clams ... :)

What light are you using for them and how many hours a day do you run it ... I used to run just an inexpensive standard house bulb and keep it far enough away from the leaves to prevent heating of the mangrove and that worked just fine ... but I guess that nowadays maybe different lighting is used ???

Thanks for the post

Albert

Albert, you know me SOOOO WELL. They did most of their growing in the 125g sump of my old clam system, but since that sytem is now iron starved, I have moved them to different sytem. They had a simple shop type plant bulb on the old system, but now they are under 300 W of halides and the growth is much faster. Infact they are getting to close to the bulbs I have to figure something out. They started as 12" propagules ( if thats how you spell it). They are around 3 feet now. Oh...lights are run for a whopping 14 hours on all my systems

Edited by ZephNYC
  • Like 1
jedimasterben
Albert, you know me SOOOO WELL. They did most of their growing in the 125g sump of my old clam system, but since that sytem is now iron starved, I have moved them to different sytem. They had a simple shop type plant bulb on the old system, but now they are under 300 W of halides and the growth is much faster. Infact they are getting to close to the bulbs I have to figure something out. They started as 12" propagules ( if thats how you spell it). They are around 3 feet now. Oh...lights are run for a whopping 13 hours on all my systems

3 feet? :wub:

• Like 1

LOL jedi...Hey Al...speaking of plants and macro, I am about to get very serious about growing macro..heavy heavy macro, and plan on using CO2 injection, which is hard here in NY because it is against the law to purchase the gas. My excuse for not running calcium reactors as well. Im going to need your help DAD. Will contact you when I get started.

-Z

Edited by ZephNYC
albertthiel
Albert, you know me SOOOO WELL. They did most of their growing in the 125g sump of my old clam system, but since that sytem is now iron starved, I have moved them to different sytem. They had a simple shop type plant bulb on the old system, but now they are under 300 W of halides and the growth is much faster. Infact they are getting to close to the bulbs I have to figure something out. They started as 12" propagules ( if thats how you spell it). They are around 3 feet now. Oh...lights are run for a whopping 14 hours on all my systems

Yes I kind of figured you had them in another tank due to the iron issue with your clams ... On the light ... is MH 300 not a bit much ? I like that they are growing a lot faster but worry about the heat transfer. Maybe you need to move that light further away if you can or put a pice of glass somehow half way between them and the light if you can figure out a way to do so and use slightly tinted glass as that will reduce the intensity they are getting ... not sure if that will work but it is probably worth a try.

Alternatively if the MH is only used for them you could cut the length of time down to maybe 12 and then 10 hours ... but I am not sure if you use that light for other purposes as well in which case that may not be possible.

But 3 feet .... wow ... that is great. You get just about anything you work with to turn to Gold ... well so to speak of ... doing well is what I mean

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel
LOL jedi...Hey Al...speaking of plants and macro, I am about to get very serious about growing macro..heavy heavy macro, and plan on using CO2 injection, which is hard here in NY because it is against the law to purchase the gas. My excuse for not running calcium reactors as well. Im going to need your help DAD. Will contact you when I get started.

-Z

Let me know any time you are ready ...

On the CO2 ... Get it in Jersey ? or in CT ?

I used it for the longest of times with freshwater plant tanks and with saltwater ones with macros .. and with KH reactors .... never had any issues as long as you have a pH controller you can carefully control the pH etc ..

I have to think about this a little more because at on time I was using something else to get CO2 in the water but for the heck of me the name of the compound I used escapes me now (must be the old age) ... but I'll figure it out and let you know once I figure it out ...

I seem to think it was a yeast based system but I have to find out the details again as it was a bit tricky to set up

Albert

• Like 1
Yes I kind of figured you had them in another tank due to the iron issue with your clams ... On the light ... is MH 300 not a bit much ? I

Albert

This kind of made me laugh, because is the short version of my life story... I like to over due things. Gets me in trouble sometimes, but puts things in perspective. These two have grown more in the 2 months they've been under halides than they did in a year under the old shop type bulb. I just had to get them out of the clam system because of the iron issue, like you said. and this 300w system was pretty much the only alternative. But they are growing dangerously close to the bulbs so changes soon.

Let me know any time you are ready ...

On the CO2 ... Get it in Jersey ? or in CT ?

I used it for the longest of times with freshwater plant tanks and with saltwater ones with macros .. and with KH reactors .... never had any issues as long as you have a pH controller you can carefully control the pH etc ..

I have to think about this a little more because at on time I was using something else to get CO2 in the water but for the heck of me the name of the compound I used escapes me now (must be the old age) ... but I'll figure it out and let you know once I figure it out ...

I seem to think it was a yeast based system but I have to find out the details again as it was a bit tricky to set up

Albert

Yes, there are natural co2 producing alternatives like growing yeast etc..Im not exactly sure how its done, but I would much rather just have a niceee big old 20 lb canister of the good stuff. I can get it in NJ from my old wholesalers but its a trip. Its the one thing I never did before - carbon dioxide injection.

albertthiel
This kind of made me laugh, because is the short version of my life story... I like to over due things. Gets me in trouble sometimes, but puts things in perspective. These two have grown more in the 2 months they've been under halides than they did in a year under the old shop type bulb. I just had to get them out of the clam system because of the iron issue, like you said. and this 300w system was pretty much the only alternative. But they are growing dangerously close to the bulbs so changes soon.

I used to be exactly the same Zeph always trying something new and different and see what I could make happen or what results I got ... but that's how one learns I guess ... and yes sometimes there are a few disasters but then comes the joy from discovering something new ... as I am sure you have experienced as well.

On the CO2 ... check this site ... have not looked at it all in depth but they offer a CO2 substitute fertilization system ...

http://www.thetechden.com.au/Fertilisers_f...ants_s/1477.htm

I stil think that what I played around with was yeast and maybe sugar but I have to think and see if I can find records of what I used to do for a while (the CO2 was simpler so I went back to that)

Albert

Yes that is quite a feat ... I used to grow them to maybe 1 1/2 foot or a bit more but I used old fashioned lights that may not have given them enough and because of all the filtration on the tank the nutrient base in the water may have been low as well, impeding the growth too

Great to have in a fuge though ...

Albert

Albert what kind of trends do you see on the horizon of reef keeping ,and what new ideas or innovations do you think hold the most potential? Non photosynthetic tanks, advancements in filtration, carbon dosing, LEDs , etc .......

Judging from the original post, you have been on the cutting edge for a while and i think it would be interesting to hear your take on this. Im sorry if someone already asked this because i havent read this entire thread.

You get just about anything you work with to turn to Gold ... well so to speak of ... doing well is what I mean

Albert

This made my day Albert. I kid you not I am going to print it out and frame it near where I keep your books. Ill put Julian sprungs back in the basement,, HArdyyy harrrr harrrrrrr :lol:

GENA ---- Yes those are indeed real appealing .... you could do a search for who sells them on the net so you can compare pricing and size etc ...

Albert

I've started a small search, but turned up nothing on the pink sarco, other than pictures. If by chance you come across one for sale in your internet searches, please let me know!!!!!! Yellow fijis are easy to find. I picked one up a few years ago at my LFS. I wish I still had it. Hopefully the new owner took good care of it...should have saved their number :)

albertthiel
Albert what kind of trends do you see on the horizon of reef keeping ,and what new ideas or innovations do you think hold the most potential? Non photosynthetic tanks, advancements in filtration, carbon dosing, LEDs , etc .......

Judging from the original post, you have been on the cutting edge for a while and i think it would be interesting to hear your take on this. Im sorry if someone already asked this because i havent read this entire thread.

Thanks for asking and for the kind words JamesHL88 ... I am actually working on an article or long post on what I think may happen and what have been the best changes in the hobby for say the last 10 years but it is going to take a few more days or a week or so before I have it finished ...

I will post it here once it is ready for general consumption :) and hopefully will generate some feedback and comments and a decent exchange of posts and thoughts.

Albert

albertthiel
You get just about anything you work with to turn to Gold ... well so to speak of ... doing well is what I mean

Albert

--------------

This made my day Albert. I kid you not I am going to print it out and frame it near where I keep your books. Ill put Julian sprungs back in the basement,, HArdyyy harrrr harrrrrrr :lol:

Zeph ... as they say you get what you deserve and in this case it is good ... :)

I wish I had a trip planned to NY but I have not as I'd love to meet and chew the fact ...

Keep sharing your knowledge and good links you know of here on this thread for the benefit of those who subscribe .... and for all of those NR members ... I'll be happy to answer whatever questions you have ... or what pics you would like to see ... just let me know ...

On my own tank ... I figure that by Monday I should be able to post the details of what I am going to set up.

Lighting may take a little longer as I am still trying to decide but based on all the success Zeph has with T5's I am wondering if that is the way to go and keep expenses under control as those LED fixtures are a "tad" expensive to say the least.

Anyway Zeph ... I really do mean what I said. Great work ! Oh and I want a pic of that :) :)

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
Thanks for asking and for the kind words JamesHL88 ... I am actually working on an article or long post on what I think may happen and what have been the best changes in the hobby for say the last 10 years but it is going to take a few more days or a week or so before I have it finished ...

I will post it here once it is ready for general consumption :) and hopefully will generate some feedback and comments and a decent exchange of posts and thoughts.

Albert

Awsome! I ask for a thought and i get an article. :naughtydance:

albertthiel
I've started a small search, but turned up nothing on the pink sarco, other than pictures. If by chance you come across one for sale in your internet searches, please let me know!!!!!! Yellow fijis are easy to find. I picked one up a few years ago at my LFS. I wish I still had it. Hopefully the new owner took good care of it...should have saved their number :)

Gena ... yes they are not easy to find but I'll see whether I can come up with something for you ... and hopefully I will find a source.

Indeed the Yellow ones are easier to find even the ones not from the Hawaii area, I have seen some from the far Pacific regions e.g. Indonesia and the Philippines, and they too look real nice, but their appearance is not that different from the Hawaii ones ...

Albert

Awsome! I ask for a thought and i get an article. :naughtydance:

Well I had started working on it because someone asked me the same question a few days ago so I had already started on one.

I have one nearly ready on calcium demand in reefs but I need to double check a few things before I post it

Albert

albertthiel

On The Benefit Of Wavemakers in our Aquariums

Have not seen much on this lately .. but found this article :

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bcorsetti...121597waves.htm

Are any readers of this thread using them or still using them and for what reason are they or are they not ?

Just wondering ... or have they been replaced by using the newer type of in the tank units w/the motor on the outside?

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
albertthiel

Gena you may try to get in touch with this place ...

They have a strawberry colored one but it looks kind of pink to me ...

Guess it does not hurt talking to them and see what they can do for you (maybe they can get hold of one for you)

http://www.freshmarine.com/leathers.html

Albert

I think this is the type of Leather coral that Gena wants ... if anyone who reads this has seen one for sale or knows where to get one, please let her know

Pink Sarcophyton

sarcopink2.png

Very nice looking Sarco ....

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
Lighting may take a little longer as I am still trying to decide but based on all the success Zeph has with T5's I am wondering if that is the way to go and keep expenses under control as those LED fixtures are a "tad" expensive to say the least.

Albert

There are some very good and relatively cheap LED units coming out of China now. I imported my own direct from a Chinese supplier complete with controller for £180 which is about $280. I have posted the spec on here before but here's a couple pf pic's with one on my River and Reef 94L nano.

LEDsontank40B80W001.jpg

80blues100whites001.jpg

LEDsontank40B80W.jpg

LEDsontank40B80W006.jpg

Had them for 4 weeks and everythings do very well inc softies LPS and even a few SPS that I have inc one acro frag.

albertthiel
There are some very good and relatively cheap LED units coming out of China now. I imported my own direct from a Chinese supplier complete with controller for £180 which is about $280. I have posted the spec on here before but here's a couple pf pic's with one on my River and Reef 94L nano.

LEDsontank40B80W001.jpg

80blues100whites001.jpg

LEDsontank40B80W.jpg

LEDsontank40B80W006.jpg

Had them for 4 weeks and everythings do very well inc softies LPS and even a few SPS that I have inc one acro frag.

Les that is indeed a good price. I have some questions though ...

- how many LED's

- what colors and how many of each color

- did the unit come completely ready to use or did you have to do some assembly

- is it made for UK voltage with transformers inline ?

Does it have anything else in it besides the LED's, e.g. T5 or actinic etc ...

Love to get some more info.

Also nice tank ... I guess that was made in the UK (Company called Twister?)

Albert

• Like 1
jedimasterben

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/l...nk40B80W001.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/l...00whites001.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/l...ntank40B80W.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/l...nk40B80W006.jpg

The only problem I have with these type of lights is that your corals will brown out because of the very limited spectrum the LEDs provide - having simply cool white (these are probably 8-10K or higher) and royal blue will do good for growth - but colors will be washed out and will eventually fade to brown.

Edited by jedimasterben
albertthiel

For those interested in Mangroves here is a link to another article on the www.athiel.com website written by William Horst quite a while back but still very applicable ...

If you have any comments feel free to post them ... also if you have mangroves in your sump or Fuge you may want to post them here as well so we can see what is out there ... I'd love to see some current/recent pics. Thanks

http://www.athiel.com/lib10/horstman.htm

Albert

The only problem I have with these type of lights is that your corals will brown out because of the very limited spectrum the LEDs provide - having simply cool white (these are probably 8-10K or higher) and royal blue will do good for growth - but colors will be washed out and will eventually fade to brown.

Hmm don't tell that to the guys who have been running them for around 12 months here in the UK.

My sandy coloured hystrix is turning pink.,my LPS have never been so colourful same for my mushrooms and zoas. I agree its still early days yet for my tank but then others have been running them longer. I will just have to sit it out and see how they all develope over the coming months.

albertthiel

Jedimaster when you have some time can you elaborate on this as if this is the norm then why would hobbyists want to use them ... or are these remarks about the lesser expensive ones coming out of China ...

Not sure I understand your post as so many Hobs seem to rave about LED's ... so IYO what would be a good mix of LED's (colors etc... and numbers) that would benefit ALL corals in the tank both SPS and LPS ...

Just trying to get more info from you as from everything I have seen YOU are the expert on them ...

Albert

Hmm don't tell that to the guys who have been running them for around 12 months here in the UK.

My sandy coloured hystrix is turning pink.,my LPS have never been so colourful same for my mushrooms and zoas. I agree its still early days yet for my tank but then others have been running them longer. I will just have to sit it out and see how they all develope over the coming months.

Have you seen anything negative ? Can you post some pics of aquariums of Hobs in the UK who are using them showing that their corals are doing well ?

I think that would help .... Thanks Les

Albert