Coral Vue Hydros

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Finding Paulo

i have this bio reactor and just bought the biopellets from two little fishies with a skimmer(already running) .

http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=213

my tank is on its 5th week of cycling and all the diatoms disappeared. i was researching and seems to me that theres a right way and a wrong way to add this bioreactor.the only thing i know is you must put the output of the water from the bioreactor infront of the input of the skimmer i dont want to mess up my tank or have a bacteria spike. please help. on the biopellet bag it says use half dose and add the other half later. what else do i have to know? what is their purpose? and do i keep this thing on full blast? it has a controller valve to set the output water setting on how strong you want it ...what do i measure in the tank that shows how strong or weak i should keep the flow???

ALSO THANKS FOR THE calcium reactor answer. really really helped me.

Mr. Thiel-

I am starting a new build for a 75 gal tank. I am trying to decide what pump to use for the return. I believe my over-flow will handle up to 1500 GPH. I have seen a range of how many times per hour you should turn the tank water over. Anything from 5x to 20x. In your experience, what is optimal? If you use a smaller pump that only does 5x an hour, can that be supplemented with additional flow in the tank with powerheads to make up the difference?

albertthiel

This has been posted before in another thread but it IS a great info resource on Clams

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=153218

Albert

Mr. Thiel-

I am starting a new build for a 75 gal tank. I am trying to decide what pump to use for the return. I believe my over-flow will handle up to 1500 GPH. I have seen a range of how many times per hour you should turn the tank water over. Anything from 5x to 20x. In your experience, what is optimal? If you use a smaller pump that only does 5x an hour, can that be supplemented with additional flow in the tank with powerheads to make up the difference?

Bamadws56 .... Tell me a little more about what you will be putting into the tank ... are you using a sump or one of the larger hang-on overflows into which the return water will be pumped ?

The more I know about your tank the better an answer I can suggest

Yes it used to be so that very high rates of aquarium turnovers were suggested but IMO it really depends on what you have in the tank

Please send me a little more info. Thanks

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
  • Like 1
Additional Pictures of Sarcophyton Leather corals

sarcopink.png

sarcotenuis.png

Awesome!!!! Thanks for the additional photos!!!! These two are my favorites. I think Diver's Den would probably be my best chance of finding a pink sarco.

• Like 1
This has been posted before in another thread but it IS a great info resource on Clams

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=153218

Albert

Bamadws56 .... Tell me a little more about what you will be putting into the tank ... are you using a sump or one of the larger hang-on overflows into which the return water will be pumped ?

The more I know about your tank the better an answer I can suggest

Yes it used to be so that very high rates of aquarium turnovers were suggested but IMO it really depends on what you have in the tank

Please send me a little more info. Thanks

Albert

I will be using a sump underneath the display aquarium. As far as what is going in the tank, lots of little fish and several corals. Right now I have zoas, a big goniopora, two lobaphilias (sp?), and 20 or so mushrooms and xenias. I only have 5 fish right now in the tank that will be moving over to the big 75 once I get it set up and cycled. Thanks!

Finding Paulo
i have this bio reactor and just bought the biopellets from two little fishies with a skimmer(already running) .

my tank is on its 5th week of cycling and all the diatoms disappeared. i was researching and seems to me that theres a right way and a wrong way to add this bioreactor.the only thing i know is you must put the output of the water from the bioreactor infront of the input of the skimmer i dont want to mess up my tank or have a bacteria spike. please help. on the biopellet bag it says use half dose and add the other half later. what else do i have to know? what is their purpose? and do i keep this thing on full blast? it has a controller valve to set the output water setting on how strong you want it ...what do i measure in the tank that shows how strong or weak i should keep the flow???

bump

albertthiel

French Polynesian Clam Source :

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Clam...a-Prodlist.html

Albert

Awesome!!!! Thanks for the additional photos!!!! These two are my favorites. I think Diver's Den would probably be my best chance of finding a pink sarco.

GENA ---- Yes those are indeed real appealing .... you could do a search for who sells them on the net so you can compare pricing and size etc ...

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
Well I am just about ready with the planning and will post what I plan to do either by the end of the day or by the morning .... what I will not have decided on is the lighting but I hope to make that one very soon ... with all the choices, types and combinations now around it gets kind of hard to decide and I have to take what I plan to put in the Nano into account ...

I did some searches on NR and on the web and am somewhat surprised about the number of people who seem to be satisfied with those BC's without making modifications to them ... What is your opinion on those ?

Albert

I think you said that you are planning on a sump, so I wouldn't even go with an AIO type tank. Personally, I think all the AIO's need some modification. I hope I don't make anyone mad, but after tons of research I chose the RSM 130d as my first reef tank, about 6 months ago. I have almost modded it to the point where it is no longer an AIO!

If I were to do this again, I'd just get all seperate components. It might even be cheaper, lol.

albertthiel
I think you said that you are planning on a sump, so I wouldn't even go with an AIO type tank. Personally, I think all the AIO's need some modification. I hope I don't make anyone mad, but after tons of research I chose the RSM 130d as my first reef tank, about 6 months ago. I have almost modded it to the point where it is no longer an AIO!

If I were to do this again, I'd just get all seperate components. It might even be cheaper, lol.

Thanks for the advice and without having mentioned it in my previous post I was thinking of going with regular tank and modifying it somewhat myself (overflow) and adding a 20 or so galling sump also modified to act as sump and fuge at the same time but with different water speeds through the partitions so the water going into the fuge runs far slower than the water that goes to the return chamber. i would also get a separate skimmer as stand alone unit and a KH reactor also as stand alone ... but that is what I have in mind for now (sort of 90% sure of it) ... light not decided on yet

Albert

bump

Question ... what is the bump for ?? not familiar enough with this forum I guess ... pls clarify

Thanks

Personally, I love the idea of having two 40 b's, one for the DT and one for the sump. Plenty of room to play with and not too big. I think that might be right up your alley! Plus...you can both for $80 on sale now!

Randi just did this and did a great job. Here is a link to ther thread, I hope she doesn't mind:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=280111

edit: I can't believe I'm giving advice to Albert, LOL

Edited by Spirofucci
albertthiel
Mr. Thiel-

Based on what you told me about the tank I would go with a pump that can turn the tank over 8 to 10 times but you need to make sure that your overflow to the sump can handle that. That will require a pump that at a head pressure of say 4 feet can still push out about 675 to 750 GPH from the sump to the tank.

Also not sure how you are getting the overflow set up but make sure that it can handle that flow and do so without making gurgling noises ...

Now some will say to go with a higher flow and if you get suggestions to that effect then ask why they advocate the higher flow ... as I am interested in finding out as well ...

I used to run aquariums at much higher turn over rates but abandoned that towards the end of when I was running my last tank. In fact at one time I was running a 25x turnover.

Let me know whether there is anything else I can help you with

BTW call me Albert please

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

As far as lighting goes, I must say that I love the Radion. It is expensive, but is plug and play, progammable, low heat, multi sprectrum, low cost to run, no bulb replacement. Oh and has the shimmer thing going on.

Having said that, I'd ask Rehype, he has gone thru the whole lighting gambit and went back to T5's. Hard to argue with the results in his tank. :)

albertthiel

Sorry for the belated reply ... I was out of the house for a few hours ...

If the bio reactor you have is this one ...

bio-reactor%20II%20mag%20re.jpg

Then I would recommend that you run it before the skimmer. You will have reduced the load that the skimmer needs to deal with and it will run more efficiently and the effluent will be of better water quality.

Not everyone is going to agree with this :) but that is not unusual and if some do then I would like to see their reasons for running it the other way around.

As to the bio pellet usage (1/2 and then the rest later) I have to go to the web site of the manuf and see what they have to say but I would like to make sure that the reactor you have is the one shown before doing so. Please let me know

Thanks

albertthiel
As far as lighting goes, I must say that I love the Radion. It is expensive, but is plug and play, progammable, low heat, multi sprectrum, low cost to run, no bulb replacement. Oh and has the shimmer thing going on.

Having said that, I'd ask Rehype, he has gone thru the whole lighting gambit and went back to T5's. Hard to argue with the results in his tank. :)

Thanks for the info and as you say the T5's that ReHype is using are indeed giving him superior results so I will ask him for his opinion too

REHYPE ... can you please let me have your input on lighting and T5's and perhaps adding a MH if you think that is beneficial.

The tank will contain SPS and LPS and a few fish. Size 20 gallons with a 20 gallon sump, skimmer, KH reactor and a fuge built in but with lower flow than the other part of the sump ... Thanks

Albert

albertthiel

I guess I did not respond to what the bio pellets are for ... : chemical filtration .... they are resins that remove organic and other material from the water and the detail of what they remove should be on the package. I have to read the label on it so I do not know what exactly it says but in the worst of all cases call Two Little Fishes and ask them

More later on the reactor once I see your reply to the exact type of reactor you have.

Albert

albertthiel
Personally, I love the idea of having two 40 b's, one for the DT and one for the sump. Plenty of room to play with and not too big. I think that might be right up your alley! Plus...you can both for $80 on sale now!

Randi just did this and did a great job. Here is a link to ther thread, I hope she doesn't mind:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=280111

edit: I can't believe I'm giving advice to Albert, LOL

Spirofucci ... 2 40 gallon breeders for $80 ... where was she able to get those for that price if I may ask

As to giving me advice ... as I said quite a few times already we all learn something knew every day and that is the great thing about a forum like this ... sharing ... Thanks.

Albert

albertthiel
I will Have to get that issue Albert. I have never even thought about using anything but halides on my 4 systems, but all i hear about these days is LEDS's LEDS's - have to keep up. THat and im setting up a few experiment tanks and feel like I am bending over for old CON ED.

Also the huge goiniopora I showed you opens up to about 12 "X 10". I have only had it a couple of months so we shall see. She is a good eater. I have not properly identified her yet, and the vendor just called it Goniopora sp. but I do know it is from Australia. I believe the key in keeping gonioporas is how good you are at target feeding them, and how good they eccept food. Certain Gonis, like G. LOBATA, are terrible eaters and youre practically wasting your time feeding them, and I dont think anyone has had good success with them.

What about T-5's though as those are being recommended as well .. .what are your thoughts on those ?

TKS

Albert

Albert,

The jury on long term growth is still out on my implementation of the Ecotech Marine Radion LED (set at 12k in full 100%) lights in combination with a single 20k coral vue 250w MH. I only have 4 months or so running this combination; however, the look to my eye is very pleasing.

The Radion lights provide the ramp up from night to day, and the MH kicks on at 10:30 and runs until 5:30. The Radion lights then provide a ramp down and moonlighting.

If you see my signature, you can see how this looks. I am seeing growth on my SPS and coloration improving.

albertthiel
Albert,

The jury on long term growth is still out on my implementation of the Ecotech Marine Radion LED (set at 12k in full 100%) lights in combination with a single 20k coral vue 250w MH. I only have 4 months or so running this combination; however, the look to my eye is very pleasing.

The Radion lights provide the ramp up from night to day, and the MH kicks on at 10:30 and runs until 5:30. The Radion lights then provide a ramp down and moonlighting.

If you see my signature, you can see how this looks. I am seeing growth on my SPS and coloration improving.

Thanks for your input and I am adding this to all the notes I am collecting via copy/paste into a file on my Mac laptop ... With all the options that are available nowadays it seems that it is real easy to get totally confused :) unless one has done a lot of reading and research and received a lot of advice. LED's came about after I got out of the hobby and so it is not a topic I know a lot about but I am learning and learning so thanks to you and to anyone who wants to chime in on Lighting for a mixed SPS/LPS tank 20 gal with 20 gal sump and fuge, some fish and of course CUC's etc ... zoo's parazoa's etc ... but no overload ...

Albert

Spirofucci ... 2 40 gallon breeders for $80 ... where was she able to get those for that price if I may ask

As to giving me advice ... as I said quite a few times already we all learn something knew every day and that is the great thing about a forum like this ... sharing ... Thanks.

Albert

I think Petco or Pestsmart has their one dollar per gallon sale going on.

Finding Paulo
Sorry for the belated reply ... I was out of the house for a few hours ...

If the bio reactor you have is this one ...

bio-reactor%20II%20mag%20re.jpg

Then I would recommend that you run it before the skimmer. You will have reduced the load that the skimmer needs to deal with and it will run more efficiently and the effluent will be of better water quality.

Not everyone is going to agree with this :) but that is not unusual and if some do then I would like to see their reasons for running it the other way around.

As to the bio pellet usage (1/2 and then the rest later) I have to go to the web site of the manuf and see what they have to say but I would like to make sure that the reactor you have is the one shown before doing so. Please let me know

Thanks

yesss that is the one i have ... for some reason the picture of the bioreactor you put up has the outtake on top but mine is on bottom. regardless, to be clear, i just put the outtake of the bioreactor near the intake of the skimmer??

Edited by nano420
albertthiel
yesss that is the one i have ... for some reason the picture of the bioreactor you put up has the outtake on top but mine is on bottom. regardless, to be clear, i just put the outtake of the bioreactor near the intake of the skimmer??

Not sure I understand what you mean here ... can you clarify a bit more as I want to be sure I understand you correctly ...

Albert

Finding Paulo
Not sure I understand what you mean here ... can you clarify a bit more as I want to be sure I understand you correctly ...

Albert

when you said run the reactor before the skimmer, did you mean to put where the water comes out from the reactor in the direction of where the skimmer sucks in the water?

also i was researching and people told me that the bioreactor lowers nitrate and phosphate and eventually can get rid of good things or good bacteria for your tank?

albertthiel

I see very little being posted about Feather Duster Worms on the forum but maybe I am not looking in the right thread ... could be ...

Below are some pics I found interesting .... some kind of usual but some a little odd including some Dusters sliding out of their tubes either due to being harassed or due to water quality or due to their base being attacks by other small animals in the tank. I did not find one yet of a duster without a crown but when I do I'll post it

Hawaiian

dusterhawaii.png

Red Mini - not that common

dusterredmini.png

Close view from top

featherclosed.png

Unhappy duster

feathernothappy.png

Feather spirobis

featherspirobus.png

Several White ones

featherwhiteseveral.png

With view of long tube

featherwtube.png

Crawling out of tube

dustercrawlingout.png

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
albertthiel
when you said run the reactor before the skimmer, did you mean to put where the water comes out from the reactor in the direction of where the skimmer sucks in the water?

also i was researching and people told me that the bioreactor lowers nitrate and phosphate and eventually can get rid of good things or good bacteria for your tank?

Yes put the intake of the skimmer in the area where the outflow of the reactor is would be my recommendation but remember I am not 100% familiar with that type and because you say yours looks different than the pic I posted it may be wise to verify with the manufacturer. I tried to call them a few minutes ago but got their answering machine.

However if I understand what is on their site then what I wrote above is what I would do (others may pipe it differently - maybe they can chime in -

Piping it the way I suggested is not going to do any harm however

Now to the other point you brought up : yes the idea of those reactors is that they lower the nitrates and phosphates and other pollutants and so it does lower nutrient levels (and so does the skimmer) and can lead to greater difficulty in for instance growing macro algae that require nitrate and phosphate but if you first grow the algae and then use the reactor and skimmer once they are established you can monitor what goes on and regulate the operation of the reactor and maybe take it out of service for some days so you algae do not starve for nutrients.

A lot depends on what you have in the tank of course

If the nutrient level is high and since the reactor and the skimmer will not remove everything from the tank water there should be enough nutrients for them anyway especially since they are IN the tank and can uptake needed nutrient before the reactor and skimmer can take them out

Hopefully I have not confused you

If you need more details you just ask more questions and I'll be glad to help as best as I can

Also read the instructions on the bio media (resin) you are using to see what exactly it is supposed to remove so you know.

Not sure whether this is a clear enough explanation so if it is not just shoot another message to me and I'll respond to that one

Albert