Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I guess this may be the one but it does not show up as #185 ... but I found it a few pages back ...

Regarding the H. magnifica on the cover. I had that nem for many years as stated earlier and when I got it I was unaware it was considered impossible to keep for any real length of time. I must have been doing something wrong

The nem would sit right under a 250w HQI with an Osram powerstar 5200k lamp. That was the highest K value lamps available at the time. I used to feed it once a week and I could control it's size buy the amount and how often I fed it. It would never move much and stayed firmly planted under the HQI lamp. When the time came to strip the tank down it measured approx 18" across and took up a fair part of my 6'6"x2'x2' tank.

The nem housed a mated pair of common clowns that laid eggs continually and a sub adult. I had that nem from around 1988 till 1995 when I sold it on. I never did find out how well it fared after.

I could go on but will bore you to death

Les.

unquote

Yes in those days Osram is what we were all using and you even had a better one than the ones that first came out that were only 4600K if I remember well. Was that one in a heavily loaded tank or in a low to moderate one as IME when the load got a big heavy and when there were other corals in the tank that exuded slime etc. that seemed to affect the ones that I kept in such tanks and invariably those did not make it ...

Of course as always in this hobby ... there are exceptions.

Maybe the good feeding and the fact that you had breeding clowns with it made a difference ... that is something to keep in mind and investigate to determine whether they do better when clowns are around (that often bring small bits of food to the anemone) and whether that allows the anemone to survive and grow.

Had not given that some thought up to now and will have to look into that some more ... interesting if that were the case as that could make a big difference in the perception we have about them. Thanks for letting me know that I did not reply to that post and may not have read it till now ...

I'll do some thinking about that and ask some friends of mine and see what I come up with

Albert

I would say my tank was medium stocked with corals and fish. I only kept small fish in my 130 UK gallon tank. BTW did you know a UK gallon is larger thana US gallon?

If I didn't feed my nem for a couple of weeks it would shrink. I would then feed it a piece of lance fish or white side and the following day it would increase half it's size again. Not sure how big it could of got but 19" was big enough for me so I kept it around that maximum size.

Maybe the clowns were a deciding factor I don't know.

Les.

albertthiel
Hey Albert, any idea what this is? I was told aptasia, but I didn't immediately agree because the tentacles are clear, and every aptasia I've ever seen has brown tentacles. Tell me what you think.

7423394258_9f9c28c497_b.jpg.

Not sure if this one is it but it looks close ... Trumpet / Rock anemone (of course also called Aiptasia) Note it comes in different colors so just look for similarity of shape etc not the color in this case

trumpetrock.png

Take a good look and if not any of the ones we suggested let me know

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
albertthiel
Hi Albert! I could use some guidance...

I have a 20" cube and I am not pleased with my aquascape, the cube does not help either :P

My original plan was to have a SPS hill/mound and let everything grow up/in to fill vertical space

I sadly now am a little impatient and am looking to improve the scape to be more 3-D and simply better

Main prob is one or two rocks have SPS encrusted on them, meaning i pretty much have to build around those rocks or at least keep the corals alive...

Any help would be great, pics are all over thread if needed

(keep in mind i can get a wide variety of LR from my LFS, just to let you know, if it broadens my options

I have seen el fabuloso talk about scaping in general, but im curious to what u have to say

Thx :D

Will gladly help but I do not see any pics and when I go to the cube link in your sig I am not seeing what I think are current ones either ... please post some of what the tank looks like now with a good full view from the front so I can see the actual scaping you have before I write something and because I cannot see any pics I am not giving you the suggestions you are looking for.

Take a few good shots please and post them and I'll be glad to help.

Albert

albertthiel

[quote name='atoll' date='Jun 23 2012, 06:10 AM' post='3928173'

BTW do you ever sleep? :lol:

Oh yes I do ... I go to sleep early, say around 9:00 and read for a while and usually get up around 5:00 am or thereabouts ... :)

Albert

I think that I don't see enough color in/on for it to be a sun coral Les

Albert

True but they do come in different colour forms and depending on the lighting used it can look very different in real life. BTW I am a big fan of suns here's a pic of mine which those who have seen them in the flesh inform me they are the biggest they have ever seen.

MoreCorals014.jpg

True but they do come in different colour forms and depending on the lighting used it can look very different in real life. BTW I am a big fan of suns here's a pic of mine which those who have seen them in the flesh inform me they are the biggest they have ever seen.

MoreCorals014.jpg

THis is one of my favorite tanks. Check out the unbelievable sun coral growth. They feed frozen baby brine daily.

dsc0341g.jpg

THis is one of my favorite tanks. Check out the unbelievable sun coral growth. They feed frozen baby brine daily.

dsc0341g.jpg

WOW! That's some sun coral tank indeed. I am a firm believer in feeding daily as I mostly do and feed direct with all manner of things including baby brine shrimp but also Cycop-eeze which never fails to get them open to feed. I have 3 sun coral colony's and have fragged them a few times. One of my sun corals I got in a bad state and I thought it would be a no hoper but I am slowly nursing it back to health through regular feeding. The coral is still quite small and there was indeed a fair amount of die off but I have managed to get some of the polyps to survive and are now growing. :)

albertthiel

MoreCorals014.jpg

Very true and whatever lighting was used over the tank that showed the "pls ID" pic may not have been showing the right colors then on the other hand it may have been too young to have developed to what it will really look like.

Love them too and if you have more pics of them please go ahead and post them. I would like this thread to have ID pictures so that NR members can come here and find ID's ... I am trying to add a lot of pics myself for that same reason and ask anyone who reads these posts to add pictures of corals and inverts and even reef safe fish BUT please do ID them so others know what they are lookng at :0 Thanks

Great pic Les

Albert you maybe interested in my YouTube vids on my nano as well as others I have of my previous tank along with corals and equipment used. here's a link to it but you will have to search a bit as I have over 50 vids and not all reef aquarium related by any means. Any questions just as of course.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sezles1?feature=guide

Took a quick look and highly recommendable for all to take a look at as well ...

Yes there are many vids so I did have to look a little but not much really, it's pretty obvious what they are...

Thanks for the iink. Pity that this forum software does not allow embedding videos (yet is what I hope and that embedding them will come with a next upgrade - would make things a lot simpler indeed)

BTW do you know what happened to Dupla in the UK. Seems that in Germany they were sold a few years back and I heard it was to Red Sea but I did not have a confirmation of that.

Are there still Dupla products for sale in the UK or have they gone like so many others as newer manufacturers came around ... just wondering

More sun corals in my tank pic's although as yet I have not taken any of the black suns given they are not as yet healthy enough to include IMO.

MoreCorals013.jpg

coralsand004.jpg

Suncoral.jpg

A frag from one of the above colony's.

Suncorals003-1.jpg

Suncorals008.jpg

Very true and whatever lighting was used over the tank that showed the "pls ID" pic may not have been showing the right colors then on the other hand it may have been too young to have developed to what it will really look like.

Love them too and if you have more pics of them please go ahead and post them. I would like this thread to have ID pictures so that NR members can come here and find ID's ... I am trying to add a lot of pics myself for that same reason and ask anyone who reads these posts to add pictures of corals and inverts and even reef safe fish BUT please do ID them so others know what they are lookng at :0 Thanks

Great pic Les

Took a quick look and highly recommendable for all to take a look at as well ...

Yes there are many vids so I did have to look a little but not much really, it's pretty obvious what they are...

Thanks for the iink. Pity that this forum software does not allow embedding videos (yet is what I hope and that embedding them will come with a next upgrade - would make things a lot simpler indeed)

BTW do you know what happened to Dupla in the UK. Seems that in Germany they were sold a few years back and I heard it was to Red Sea but I did not have a confirmation of that.

Are there still Dupla products for sale in the UK or have they gone like so many others as newer manufacturers came around ... just wondering

A couple of links for you.

http://www.thegoldfishbowl.co.uk/index.php...;pid=565&p=

and check this out the last poster mentions you in his post about Dupla.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7...happen-to-Dupla

albertthiel

dsc0341g.jpg

Zeph real super nice indeed and what a colony that is ... Large is somewhat of a euphemism for it.

Daily feeding as long as the nutrients in the water stay in balance with what lifeforms and filtration can cope with is obviously the key to success and is IMO what not all hobbyist either understand or practice.

Sometimes they do not feed enough and others feed way too much and the animals and the filtration cannot balance out the nutrient levels and as a result the water quality goes down and down and that is of course when the problems start, sometimes just a small few but sooner or later if that nutrient level unbalance increases more and more animals are affected IME and eventually if nothing is done about it (and it usually requires more than just a little work) the tank will crash unfortunately.

Love those sun corals

Here are some pics of .. Tubastrea ...

tubastrea1.png

tubastrea2.png

Great looking don't you think .... (from a friend's aquarium here in Atlanta)

Edited by albertthiel
albertthiel
A couple of links for you.

http://www.thegoldfishbowl.co.uk/index.php...;pid=565&p=

and check this out the last poster mentions you in his post about Dupla.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7...happen-to-Dupla

Great ... thanks for adding the pics ... love them

BTW I checked the Gold Fish bowl Site ... seems like they are still doing pretty well ... as they used to do when I visited them and spent quite some time there.

ONA ... do you remember the name of the Guy who used to have all that Dupla stuff set up on his tanks .. I think he was from Jamaica but his name escapes me although it's on the tip of my tongue as they say ... is he still around ?

[ love these anemones, but as you know, almost impossible to keep...right???

In my case obviously wrong. I never had an issue with mine and kept it for around 8 years before braking the tank down. In fact I found it quite easy to keep but I understand that is not the norm. See my other posts on this thread about it.

This just isn't true at all. Neptune Aquatics in San Jose has a SPS display tank that has 10 aquaillumination sols above it since about the time that those fixtures went on sale. The corals look amazing in that tank, and they've all been in there for long periods of time, with no additional supplementation. That's been 2 years at least, their lights are the old model.

When corals turn brown, it's more likely from poor feeding, high nitrates/phosphates, or PAR levels that are too low. There are plenty of reefers that are getting great colors from their corals using only cool whites and blue LED's ("narrow band").

I am glad you posted this for a number of reasons not least of which is that was/is my understanding for the main loss of colour in SPS corals. I have read a number of articles suggesting the same. I am not of course suggesting the colour of the lighting has nothing to do with corals loosing their colour far from it but amino acids, vitamins etc and feeding seems to play an important part in coral colouration as well as lighting.

ONA ... do you remember the name of the Guy who used to have all that Dupla stuff set up on his tanks .. I think he was from Jamaica but his name escapes me although it's on the tip of my tongue as they say ... is he still around ?

Sorry I can't help you there Albert as I have no idea who he was :o

albertthiel

Link to a real good article on Sun Corals by By James W. Fatherree, M.Sc.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/12/corals

Albert

Sorry I can't help you there Albert as I have no idea who he was :o

Thanks Les ... I am sure the name will come back to me at some point ;)

Albert

In my case obviously wrong. I never had an issue with mine and kept it for around 8 years before braking the tank down. In fact I found it quite easy to keep but I understand that is not the norm. See my other posts on this thread about it.

Zeph there are several posts on what Les did where he describes it in detail and states that he "was" indeed able to keep them alive ... he posted a pic of the cover of one of my books where his is shown, it's a few pages back I think but it is the one with the red over and the anemone pic.

Albert

albertthiel

Link to a video of Les's (atoll) aquarium showing set up and water movement etc ...

Definitely worth looking at ...

Albert

albertthiel

For those interested below are a number of pics of Leptastrea corals. All are Leptastreas with different color variations, shapes and sizes ...

leptastrea8.png

leptastrea9.png

leptastrea10.png

leptastrea11.png

leptastrea12.png

leptastreagatesofhell.png

leptastrea1.png

leptastrea3.png

leptastrea4.png

leptastrea5.png

leptastrea6.png

leptastrea7.png

Edited by albertthiel
albertthiel

Unfortunately a failed Sun Coral .... looks really bad and not sure it can be saved :

sunfailed.png

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
albertthiel

Kat's Tubs Bird coral and another picture :

Kat's that from the pic seems to have browned but that shows white new growth tips as far as I can tell

tubsbirdkat.png

and another one ........

tubsbird2.png

Albert

albertthiel

A few more interesting pictures for you ....

Frogspawn coral

frogspawnhalfpint.png

Hammer Extended (paranchora)

hammerextendedparanchora.png

Scape view ....

scape5.png

Scape (from friend asking for advice)

scapefromfriend.png

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
  • Like 1