Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

It is with a heavy heart I  have just heard the sad new that Albert has passed away. 

‎Quote From nano reefs on Facebook.
"Michael Del Prete to Nano-Reef Aquariums
57 mins · 

I am saddened to report the passing of Mr. Albert J Thiel. Mr. Thiel lost his long battle with cancer at approx. 11AM local time in his home in GA on April 23, 2017. There will be a cremation and a small ceremony. - Albert was a well respected author lecturer on various topics in the aquariumindustry. - Albert was my pal, my buddy and my friend. Love you and will miss you. MDP"

My heart and condolences go out to Albert's wife Sarah and his daughter Sharon. You are still one of the bes,t Albert Rest in Peace my friend.    

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing. I just jumped on to post the sad news here. Albert was one of the kindest people I ever had the pleasure of meeting. He was my mentor and dear friend. I love you Maestro!

• Like 3
Nano sapiens

As I mentioned over in R2R, the first book I ever read on reef keeping was one of Albert's.

The struggle is over...may he now rest in peace.

• Like 2

I was very saddened to hear of Albert's passing earlier today.    Please click on the FB Fund Me page that one of our NR Admins on the FB NR, Randi Horlick made a while back.   He was in the hospital for close to 2 mos with cancer that metasticized.  His wife also has heart and health issues and they'll have outstanding bills and funeral costs.  Please help her if you can.  If you had earlier, thank you as well.  So glad I was able to get his book as soon as I started this hobby.  Wonderful piece of literature and I love how open he was to helping this site and reefers everywhere.

https://www.gofundme.com/albert-needs-our-help-and-support

• Like 5

Can somebody explain why there is no nano reef official report or obituary about Albert that I can see. Forgive me if there is one but surely there should be an official announcement. I notified the powers that be on here on Sunday so there has been plenty of time to make an official announcement. Does admin not care or think it warrants one? However, if I am wrong can somebody post a link for me to it and I apologise in advance if there has indeed been such a post. Thanks.  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Paul.b said:

Atoll, I find it amazing that there is hardly anything on any forum for a man that had such an impact on this hobby.

Agreed Paul. I think you know I have posted on here in 2 forums R2R Reef central and some UK and Facebook forums. It is a sad day when the new of the death of such a man who has done so much to help so many gets no mention from the admin of a forum and is simply left to the membership to inform all.  Somewhat insensitive to sat the least I could add much stronger of course.  Albert did so much to not only help others but to promote the hobby and in turn help make big profits for the reefkeeping industry. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, atoll said:

Can somebody explain why there is no nano reef official report or obituary about Albert that I can see. Forgive me if there is one but surely there should be an official announcement. I notified the powers that be on here on Sunday so there has been plenty of time to make an official announcement. Does admin not care or think it warrants one? However, if I am wrong can somebody post a link for me to it and I apologise in advance if there has indeed been such a post. Thanks.  

There has been at least one thread aside from this one (and possibly another) posted. 

I happen to know that Admin is on a long distance trip and has been for the last week or so and that quite likely explains the lack of response. 

Just speaking for myself here, news of his death definitely impacted me tho my response on here was low-key. 

I generally tend to be much quieter in my responses when something hits me strongly. 

It's a me thing. 

I noticed and I cared. 

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

There has been at least one thread aside from this one (and possibly another) posted. 

I happen to know that Admin is on a long distance trip and has been for the last week or so and that quite likely explains the lack of response. 

Just speaking for myself here, news of his death definitely impacted me tho my response on here was low-key. 

I generally tend to be much quieter in my responses when something hits me strongly. 

It's a me thing. 

I noticed and I cared. 

Yes I know, I posted another thread on the another in the General Discussion Forum seeing there was nothing forthcoming from admin or mods here.

Christopher Marks
10 hours ago, atoll said:

Your message did not go unnoticed. I felt that your personal announcement of his passing was more appropriate than anything I could say, it only seemed fitting that it should come from a friend in the community who knew him personally. I apologize for making it appear as though I were indifferent, this has been a year of great loss.

• Like 8
StinkyBunny

I talked with Albert more times than I care to think about back in the 80s and 90s when we were still on a VERY steep learning curve in the hobby. We bought hundreds of gallons of Dupla bioballs from him during that time and picked his brain for ideas and tips on keeping tanks.

R.I.P. Albert, you will be missed.

• Like 2

Albert slipped a hand written note into my book from him a year or two ago and I bragged to my whole family about that and showed them, that I was friends with someone famous and they were happy for me that I got to talk to someone in my hobby field with that much cloudt. I was using google/alta vista in 98 searching for small reef tank inventions/possibilities on the new webverse and his name came up in the old school web formatting ill never forget... it was a single page returned under his name that had thirty blue links to read about aquaria, one was small reefs that's literally my first thought on the matter for pico reefing long before I owned one, Albert influenced.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Sorry to be so late. I just read that Albert had died. Thats very sad. I meet him a couple of times for coral swaps. We dont live more then maybe an hour apart. He also gave me a signed copy of one of his books. I just did a search of my username on the site looking for something I had posted some time ago and saw the Albert was offering me some of the corals that I had given him .  They were to big and he was going  to frag them. His post was in 2013. I started looking to see if he still posted on nano-reef and read he had died.

It was an honor meeting him. A very nice man. Very Sad.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, dling said:

Sorry to be so late. I just read that Albert had died. Thats very sad. I meet him a couple of times for coral swaps. We dont live more then maybe an hour apart. He also gave me a signed copy of one of his books. I just did a search of my username on the site looking for something I had posted some time ago and saw the Albert was offering me some of the corals that I had given him .  They were to big and he was going  to frag them. His post was in 2013. I started looking to see if he still posted on nano-reef and read he had died.

It was an honor meeting him. A very nice man. Very Sad.

Yes very sad indeed he was a good friend and although I live in the UK I met him twice and we chatted a few times on the phone as well as corresponding on here and via email. A sad loss to the hobby his friends and family RIP Albert.  

• Like 3

Oh no!!!! I just found out now, of Albert's passing. 

Just the other day, I wondered about this thread, and why it has not popped up in my feed recently. I first discovered Albert from the many podcasts he had done, and then to find him here in his own thread was a delight! He will be missed. What a wonderful man. RIP Albert.

• Like 3

Good kick up. lots of knowledge here in this thread. I was texting Maritza vase reef last week and we chatted about Al ~ apparently his filter feeder food is +10 liked by sps

• Like 3

I really wish that I had met him in person (c'est le vie).

I remember that the first reef keeping book I bought was one of Albert's early works and it was a treasure in that early time period (mid/late '80s).  RIP, Albert.

• Like 5
  • 1 year later...

I meet Albert a few times. He lived near me here in Ga. We did a few coral deals and he gave me one of his books and signed it for me .

Super nice guy. Missed by all in the hobby.

• Like 2