Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Yes I think that it reacted negatively to the change in lighting when you had those power failures that seem to have messed your current fixture so when the new one comes in I would get it exposed to the new lighting slowly so it does not have an adverse reaction to a sudden large increase in better lighting .... gradually acclimating it would be in order I think ...

Keep us posted ... thanks

Albert

how do I acclimate it with the lighting? I'm sorry, I'm still so new to this hobby! It's such an exciting hobby, though.

• Like 1
albertthiel

how do I acclimate it with the lighting? I'm sorry, I'm still so new to this hobby! It's such an exciting hobby, though.

Shield it from the full lighting by putting in lower and then gradually expose it to more light over a period of 4 days or so, that should do it. Sometimes LR has like a part that sticks out and if you put it underneath there it will be somewhat out of the direct light and that can be done too, or place something over the top of the tank that shields the light and gradually remove that so it gets more light.

Hope this helps but if not let me know ...

I think I have some bug today so I will not be on much, but I'll check on my phone and see whether there are other messages I can post a short reply to ...

Albert

• Like 1

Ornate Ghost Pipefish gives Birth at the Steinhart Aquarium

Several Videos ... a sight to see

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/ornate-ghost-pipefish-gives-birth-at-steinhart-aquarium-video

Albert

Now that's what I am talking about. That is an extreamly cool fish. I would rather have a pair of those than 273 naso tangs.

Very nice. My pipefish spawn but they are not as cool as those. Maybe I will glue gun some feathers on them.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Now that's what I am talking about. That is an extreamly cool fish. I would rather have a pair of those than 273 naso tangs.

Very nice. My pipefish spawn but they are not as cool as those. Maybe I will glue gun some feathers on them.

A great one indeed Paul but gluing the ornate parts may be a bit of a problem :-)

Albert

Sent from my IPhone

albertthiel

A You tube vid I took a few months ago of my tank. I must do an update soon.

Nice ... thanks Les. Enjoyed watching it.

Sent from my iPhone

Albert

What is it with SOME people.

They will spend $50 on a fish coral etc but won't research or buy a good book which in the long run will save them $$$$ and a lot of grief to meantion just two downsides.

Here is a typical requested for help I have just replied to on another foum but is a common request..

"Hi, one of my tomato clowns has been chasing my yellow wrasse around the tank and is keeping him on one half of the tank, its only a 24g so i dont think the wrasse is very happy with its territory. they are both only a day in the tank, im hoping the aggression will stop but if not the clown is going to have to go, which is a shame cos she part of a pair. Is there anything i can do to calm the aggression down?"

And my reply.

"As above aggressive fish (my reference to a previous post to answer the op) but to make matters worse a 24g tank is too small for tomato clowns which gives the wrasse little chance. The clown wants the wrasse out of its territory which in a 24g tank is the whole tank and more. I am sorry its your fault for putting fish in a tank its simply not suitable for which unfortunately is all to common when it comes to nano tanks. Do you clowns a favour and sell them on to somebody who has a tank more suited to them. That might sound harsh but a bit of research will tell you your tank is to small for a tomato clown never mind a pair."

It's not as if it's difficult to find the conditions a tomato clown needs to be kept under along with minimum tank size/volume. My previous tank was a 20gallon tank and no way would I consider housing any clown fish in it. I now have a 60gallon system with sump and have a pair of true perc's in it along with a host nem. So many people buy fish or corals giving little or no thought to its requirements, how large they get and their temperament before purchasing and they wonder why they get problems that could have easily been avoided. Of course it will never stop and people esp newbies will continue to buy unsuitable animals be it fish, coral or any other animal come to that. I have to say some LFSs do not help at all as many will knowingly make a sale to somebody who is known to them as a newbie just to make the sale.

Rant over

Les..

• Like 1

Yes 24 gallons is rather small for tomato clowns, maybe cherry tomato clowns would be better, if there is such a thing. Tomato clowns in general are a tough fish and you have to step on them to kill them.

As for aclimating corals to light you can also buy some cheap PVC window screen at a hardware store and add a few layers over the tank. Every few days, remove a layer.

Or get some sheap sunglasses and put them over your coral. I just made that up and I doubt it would work.

• Like 3
albertthiel

What is it with SOME people.

They will spend $50 on a fish coral etc but won't research or buy a good book which in the long run will save them $$$$ and a lot of grief to meantion just two downsides.

Here is a typical requested for help I have just replied to on another foum but is a common request..

"Hi, one of my tomato clowns has been chasing my yellow wrasse around the tank and is keeping him on one half of the tank, its only a 24g so i dont think the wrasse is very happy with its territory. they are both only a day in the tank, im hoping the aggression will stop but if not the clown is going to have to go, which is a shame cos she part of a pair. Is there anything i can do to calm the aggression down?"

And my reply.

"As above aggressive fish (my reference to a previous post to answer the op) but to make matters worse a 24g tank is too small for tomato clowns which gives the wrasse little chance. The clown wants the wrasse out of its territory which in a 24g tank is the whole tank and more. I am sorry its your fault for putting fish in a tank its simply not suitable for which unfortunately is all to common when it comes to nano tanks. Do you clowns a favour and sell them on to somebody who has a tank more suited to them. That might sound harsh but a bit of research will tell you your tank is to small for a tomato clown never mind a pair."

It's not as if it's difficult to find the conditions a tomato clown needs to be kept under along with minimum tank size/volume. My previous tank was a 20gallon tank and no way would I consider housing any clown fish in it. I now have a 60gallon system with sump and have a pair of true perc's in it along with a host nem. So many people buy fish or corals giving little or no thought to its requirements, how large they get and their temperament before purchasing and they wonder why they get problems that could have easily been avoided. Of course it will never stop and people esp newbies will continue to buy unsuitable animals be it fish, coral or any other animal come to that. I have to say some LFSs do not help at all as many will knowingly make a sale to somebody who is known to them as a newbie just to make the sale.

Rant over

Les..

Indeed Les that is a very typical kind of post and one that I see too, or get via PM and is along the same lines... problems and more problems, and fish jumping because they are being chased around aggressively by Clowns and sometimes other fish, and also along those same kind of problems: my fish have ick ... and usually because they got chased so much they are totally stressed out and become diseased ...

It is a pity indeed that many do not research care and behavior of what they get but buy fish and corals because "they look good, or appealing" but as you say are not at all the right fish for the tank those hobbyists own.

Some reading in a good book, or articles in e.g. CORAL mag or another good one, would avoid so many problems and so much losses of life forms and money of course, but al that so often gets done is buy more of the same, and run in the same kind of problems (unfortunately).

Shame indeed but no one seems to know how to get beginners and even some that have been keeping tanks for a while to change their habits ... and it is not for lack of trying by many ....

All anyone who has been around for some time can do, is keep repeating the proper and correct recommendations and hope that some of those who are not doing their research will hopefully start to change their approach.

Thanks for pointing it out once again

Albert

albertthiel

Yes 24 gallons is rather small for tomato clowns, maybe cherry tomato clowns would be better, if there is such a thing. Tomato clowns in general are a tough fish and you have to step on them to kill them.

As for aclimating corals to light you can also buy some cheap PVC window screen at a hardware store and add a few layers over the tank. Every few days, remove a layer.

Or get some sheap sunglasses and put them over your coral. I just made that up and I doubt it would work.

Yes thanks Paul, that is indeed a good way to do it ... well not the sunglasses :-o but the screening (untreated - no fire retardants) .. that would work real well indeed.

And Tomato clowns are definitely not for small tanks ... not only do they grow large but they are indeed very territorial. Not for a Nano for sure and certainly not in a pair ... but it gets done all the time - way too often anyway.

And then after a while the problems start as Les described as they want the whole tank to themselves and more if they could get it. Any clown is not a good idea for a small tank as eventually the small "Nemo" will get larger and larger and become more and more of a pest to other fish ... "The Finding Nemo" syndrome certainly has not helped the situation .... Wonder what "Finding Dory" will do for the Tangs .... Great fish but not for small tanks either IME.

Now is you find some "Cherry Tomato" Clowns one of these days ... let me know will you :)

Albert

albertthiel

awesome zoa article :)

Yes Julian dug in deep for sure and gives lots and lots on info on basic and other ones .... Thanks. It is s great article indeed.

Albert

• Like 1

Interesting View on the Lionfish Invasion of our Coasts but this one is from a Dutch Site ....

Link :

http://news.aquariuminfo.nl/lionfish-attacking-atlantic-ocean-like-a-living-oil-spill/#.UXvb9JWlVK4

I thought it was notable that this is even being reported in Holland and Europe !

Albert

I know this has nothing to do with Holland or Europe, but don't they eat lionfish in The Keys?

• Like 1

It's a good thing I took a picture of this guy last week before I added him to my tank as I will never again be able to get a picture of him as he hides all the time. He is searching for something and it looks like either worms or pods mostly on the roofs of caves. I am not sure if he is eating because he gets scared if I shoot worms near him but he still looks chubby so I guess he is finding something. Speaking of chubby, (no not me) my mandarin looks to be about ready to spawn again and I am hoping my clown gobies do also as she also looks ready as well as one of my threadfin cardinals. My tiny shrimp/gobi almost doubled in size and gets along well the older one so hopefully they will mate as they live in the same hole with the shrimp.

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2013-04-22114700_zpsaf1caee9.jpg.html'>2013-04-22114700_zpsaf1caee9.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

It's a good thing I took a picture of this guy last week before I added him to my tank as I will never again be able to get a picture of him as he hides all the time. He is searching for something and it looks like either worms or pods mostly on the roofs of caves. I am not sure if he is eating because he gets scared if I shoot worms near him but he still looks chubby so I guess he is finding something. Speaking of chubby, (no not me) my mandarin looks to be about ready to spawn again and I am hoping my clown gobies do also as she also looks ready as well as one of my threadfin cardinals. My tiny shrimp/gobi almost doubled in size and gets along well the older one so hopefully they will mate as they live in the same hole with the shrimp.

That is what they do Paul but you should see him again as you feed and the behavior is that of a shy fish and with all the spaces he has to hide in in your tank he can be out of sight real easily.

After he gets really used to your tank though he should come out more and more especially when you feed and if he still looks nice and fat then I imagine he IS getting food ... He is not your always in the visible area swimmer that is for sure....

Albert