ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Well let's see what happens now that you moved it but I agree the shift in color could certainly result in what is happening. Hope your lights are not affected by what happened but if you do see a real change in color then you may need to change the bulbs if the coral does not open up again

Are you using LED's ? If not what kind of lighting is it .... I am signing off for the evening ...

Albert

I just used the ones that I had bought as a replacement last weekend, and I can see that one looks almost yellow out of nowhere when it was really white the day I put it in. I have t5's 1 actinic and 1 daylight bulb. So the only thing I can think of is that the amount of times the power cut out then stayed out not too long ago messed up the fixture itself not just the bulbs. I'm talking to my mom about getting a replacement. I'll get LEDs one of these days down the road :D

g'night.

• Like 1
albertthiel

That's really helpful Albert to have those studies listed in the reference section there.

I sure could have used that info on biofilm studies in a heckuva argument in the rc chem forum lately

The reference section of that link are good reads

Finding references about it in aquariums is hard

Thanks glad you enjoyed the article and that it gave you some more "ammunition" for the use of peroxide added directly to the aquaria, there is not much available out there that is authoritative but as you say sometimes the text of an article is not the only thing one should read ... the reference section listed may contain "live" links to other articles that are just as if not more informative as well.

I have found that it is a good idea what internal URL's are available in articles, and whether there are any in the reference section as you point out.

Thanks Brandon ...

And are we getting some updated nice pics on your Pico soon ? TKS

Albert

albertthiel

I just used the ones that I had bought as a replacement last weekend, and I can see that one looks almost yellow out of nowhere when it was really white the day I put it in. I have t5's 1 actinic and 1 daylight bulb. So the only thing I can think of is that the amount of times the power cut out then stayed out not too long ago messed up the fixture itself not just the bulbs. I'm talking to my mom about getting a replacement. I'll get LEDs one of these days down the road :D

g'night.

Not sure where you bought it but you may be able to return it if you think it is defective as a power outage should not ruin your bulb IMO but maybe Paul or someone else familiar with what can happen under those circumstances can chime in and give some more input.

Possibly the ballast could have been affected, not really sure, but that bulb should IMO definitely not have turned from white to yellow ... definitely not good and with the shift in color you need to keep an eye on the tank for algae growth and keep those nutrient levels low so they do not start up ...

Albert

I bought them online when I order the fixture. bleh. So I doubt after around 6 months they'll do anything about it.

It might be the ballast then making it be weird? I know nothing about electrical devices, though. :/

I'm looking for a new fixture right now. Well, a bigger one in case I decide to upgrade to my 20 gallon sometime in the near future.

I'll keep an eye on the tank. *Sigh* also, the sympodium is extending a bit even with the light off, but I don't know with the light's color being weird, if it'll be helpful or detrimental them. :(

• Like 1
albertthiel

I bought them online when I order the fixture. bleh. So I doubt after around 6 months they'll do anything about it.

It might be the ballast then making it be weird? I know nothing about electrical devices, though. :/

I'm looking for a new fixture right now. Well, a bigger one in case I decide to upgrade to my 20 gallon sometime in the near future.

I'll keep an eye on the tank. *Sigh* also, the sympodium is extending a bit even with the light off, but I don't know with the light's color being weird, if it'll be helpful or detrimental them. :(

Yes true if it is that long ago I don't think you will get them replaced ... :-o Not sure if the ballast is the issue but maybe someone more familiar with them will chime in ...

Glad to read the sympodium is doing a little better ... let's see what it does when the lights come on ...

And do keep an eye on the water quality indeed with the "yellow" light ... you may want to make sure you NO3 and PO4 are real low so you do not get and algae outbreak, not saying you will have one but some extra water change may be in order and testing or having your water tested may be a good idea too.

Albert

• Like 1

Power going out usually will not hurt an electrical appliance depending on how the power goes out. It is to complicated here but basically you have two electrical lines coming into your house and if boath go off at once nothing will happen, but if one goes out before the other one, some appliances in your house could get double the voltage and wreck havoc on them. I am not saying that is what happened because it is hard for me to see your tank from here but I was an electrician for 40 years.

• Like 1

I have an undata! just nothing rare, of course. lol. so pretty that one was.

Yes true if it is that long ago I don't think you will get them replaced ... :-o Not sure if the ballast is the issue but maybe someone more familiar with them will chime in ...

Glad to read the sympodium is doing a little better ... let's see what it does when the lights come on ...

And do keep an eye on the water quality indeed with the "yellow" light ... you may want to make sure you NO3 and PO4 are real low so you do not get and algae outbreak, not saying you will have one but some extra water change may be in order and testing or having your water tested may be a good idea too.

Albert

I plugged the timer and light into a different outlet on the surge protector and the light no longer looks yellow - I turned it on for just a moment to see if it made any difference, and it's back to being white! weird arse electricity nonsense. So, no idea what that's about. Still going to look for a replacement fixture or at the very least new bulbs just in case the up and die on me.

I will probably need to do a water change by the weekend.

Power going out usually will not hurt an electrical appliance depending on how the power goes out. It is to complicated here but basically you have two electrical lines coming into your house and if boath go off at once nothing will happen, but if one goes out before the other one, some appliances in your house could get double the voltage and wreck havoc on them. I am not saying that is what happened because it is hard for me to see your tank from here but I was an electrician for 40 years.

well it flickered, then went on and off completely several times then totally stayed off for a period of time. So I really have no idea if that's the cause of it.

also I just changed outlets and tested the light - back to white. god I don't get it but as long as it gives me enough to time to find something my mother is willing to loan me money for then I am thankful.

thanks for chiming in, I'll just keep an eye on things. :/

• Like 1
albertthiel

I have an undata! just nothing rare, of course. lol. so pretty that one was.

I plugged the timer and light into a different outlet on the surge protector and the light no longer looks yellow - I turned it on for just a moment to see if it made any difference, and it's back to being white! weird arse electricity nonsense. So, no idea what that's about. Still going to look for a replacement fixture or at the very least new bulbs just in case the up and die on me.

I will probably need to do a water change by the weekend.

well it flickered, then went on and off completely several times then totally stayed off for a period of time. So I really have no idea if that's the cause of it.

also I just changed outlets and tested the light - back to white. god I don't get it but as long as it gives me enough to time to find something my mother is willing to loan me money for then I am thankful.

thanks for chiming in, I'll just keep an eye on things. :/

Odd indeed ... but maybe Paul has some more input on this .. I am not an electrician :-o

Thanks for the update and explanations though and nice that you have a M. undata ... lovely coral !

Albert

• Like 1

Albert, I found this article today about LED droop and i thought you and everyone else might be interested since it has ramifications for aquarium lighting if it's verified.

Cause of LED Efficiency Droop Finally Revealed

Knowledge gained from this study is expected to result in new ways to design LEDs that will have significantly higher light emission efficiencies. LEDs have enormous potential for providing long-lived high quality efficient sources of lighting for residential and commercial applications. The U.S. Department of Energy recently estimated that the widespread replacement of incandescent and fluorescent lights by LEDs in the U.S. could save electricity equal to the total output of fifty 1GW power plants.

http://engineering.ucsb.edu/news/699

• Like 2
albertthiel

Albert, I found this article today about LED droop and i thought you and everyone else might be interested since it has ramifications for aquarium lighting if it's verified.

Cause of LED Efficiency Droop Finally Revealed

Knowledge gained from this study is expected to result in new ways to design LEDs that will have significantly higher light emission efficiencies. LEDs have enormous potential for providing long-lived high quality efficient sources of lighting for residential and commercial applications. The U.S. Department of Energy recently estimated that the widespread replacement of incandescent and fluorescent lights by LEDs in the U.S. could save electricity equal to the total output of fifty 1GW power plants.

http://engineering.ucsb.edu/news/699

Thanks for that post, and "droop" is indeed a factor in LED efficiency, and to add to what you posted for which I thank you, here is an article that I posted a link to in December '12

http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/optoelectronics/the-leds-dark-secret/0

Deals with droop as well and basically the two articles discuss the same phenomenon ..

Thanks zhuangcg

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

As many of you know, I am a guest on the Nano-Reef Aquarium Radio Show that is presented by, and made available by Wm Aquaculture/TheUnderTheSeaRadioProgram hosted by Mary Fetters and her crew ...

All shows I have participated in so far are recorded, and you can listen to them anytime ...

Note that the series starts off as "How to set up a Nano Reef 101" and starts from the basics and then moves slowly to topics that are not only for the beginner but for other hobbyists as well ..

You can find a listing of the shows and the links to get to the recorded versions here :

http://underthesearadioprogram.yolasite.com/the-nano-reef-show.php

The next show is this Sunday and will be on Shrimp Gobies ...

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

The ultra sophisticated way in which my Post Office keeps their Monitors a little higher up : unreal .. look at what they have underneath them ... can you believe it ?

Picture

PostOffice.png

And that is not just at the station I was dealing with but every one in that Post Office for a large city like Alpharetta !

Albert

The ultra sophisticated way in which my Post Office keeps their Monitors a little higher up : unreal .. look at what they have underneath them ... can you believe it ?

Picture

PostOffice.png

And that is not just at the station I was dealing with but every one in that Post Office for a large city like Alpharetta !

Albert

I can believe it! :lol:

Soon they will stop Saturday deliveries due to budget problems, so no monitor pedestals for ergonomics either.

• Like 1
albertthiel

I can believe it! :lol:

Soon they will stop Saturday deliveries due to budget problems, so no monitor pedestals for ergonomics either.

Indeed ... but it sort of was a shock to see how low end their set up was ... especially when you think about the Billions of dollars they spend ... Monitors on mail crates ... that is really pushing it ...

Albert

albertthiel

It this one Small Enough for you ...

I guess they don't really come much tinier than this

smalll.png

I am sure lots of you would love to have one of these ...

Me too .. but they grow and grow and then they may become somewhat of a problem :-o

Great looking and "so" cute though

Albert

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BTW I have a Nano Reef Group on FB which you can join ... it's an open group and there are a number of posters on it that are not part of NR, and add some real interesting info ... A few real old timers too that have a lot to share ....

• Like 2