ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

Gumdrop Feeding -- does not seem too eager in this Video but does grab some food ... Normally though the Coral Croucher will grab meaty pieces with more Gusto

Link :

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Wow, that is one lazy or shy fish.

Well normally it is not that shy but this one is for sure ... maybe is in deep depression and needs a psych :-o however I think what he needs is live foods like some of those wonderful little Blackworms or maybe White Worms ...

Normally he perches but will "move" for food which in this case he does not even seem to do ... this the Lazy Croucher for sure

Albert

albertthiel

Was looking for another Video on the Coral Croucher but could not find one that shows the fish being a little more active but then it is not that common in Nano Reefs ....

I posted some pics of one in my new book though but of course that is a still image .

Great fish and I am waiting for mine to arrive at my LFS

Albert

albertthiel

Just came across one of the Books I wrote in the early 90's : Ten Easy Steps ....

That book was printed so many times and with so many different cover images that I am actually still looking for some of them for my personal collection :-o

I am missing at least 1, not this one but the one with a Picture that Les (atoll) provided and that I saw a while ago, but by the time I bid on it I got outbid at the last second, guess someone was using some kind automated bidding software that adds a penny or two to the last bid ... was not even aware that such software existed but I guess it does ...

TenEasySteps.jpg

Albert .. and is this one not cute ... !

fishie22.png

• Like 1

Gumdrop Feeding -- does not seem too eager in this Video but does grab some food ... Normally though the Coral Croucher will grab meaty pieces with more Gusto

Link :

Albert

Feed that little guy some Calif. Black Worms!! That would perk him right up. :happy:

He certainly is such a cute, little fella! :wub: I cannot wait to see one of these in your tank, Albert. Did you sell the B. Cardinal?

• Like 1

Hi. You have helped me a lot with my tank so far (30 gallon innovative marine nuvo) and I have another question. My only losses so far have been my pair of Banggai cardinals. They died a couple of months apart. My tank since cycling completed has continued to read 0 for nitrites and ammonia and less than 5 ppm for nitrate along with stable pH of 8.2/8.3 and specific gravity of 1.023/1.024. They were tank bred cardinals and appeared well and eating up until I found them dead. The female disappeared and I found the male sucked into my Hydor 425 powerhead. I have a pink streaked wrasse and a tailspot blenny left in the tank and they are doing great and are best buddies always hanging out together and visible. I have thought about adding another fish since the cardinals died but I am enjoying the blenny and wrasse and don't want to add something that will be aggressive to them. They seem to really enjoy having the tank to themselves. Would you add an additional fish and if so do you have any recommendations that would be peaceful enough that it would not harass the wrasse or blenny? Would a tanaka or possum wrasse be compatible with the pink streaked wrasse? Also any ideas about the cardinal fish deaths? Could the powerhead have sucked in and killed a healthy cardinal fish? Thanks for your help and I am enjoying your book so far by the way.

Karen

• Like 1
albertthiel

Feed that little guy some Calif. Black Worms!! That would perk him right up. :happy:

He certainly is such a cute, little fella! :wub: I cannot wait to see one of these in your tank, Albert. Did you sell the B. Cardinal?

They are indeed great fish to have and there is a nice pic of one in my new book, but yes they are kind of "laid back" so to speak ..and I agree Cal Blackworms would be the way to go to get him to "swim" ... they do like to perch and if the food is not appealing they will not move ...

No eitallent the one I am returning to the LFS is the Lantern basslet which has gotten too big for the tank and is a "pig" and swims so fast that he can gobble down the food faster than the other fish can get to it ... well sort of .. they do get some clam or mussel or worms but not nearly as much as I would like them to get ...

I do like the Gumdrop though and can't wait for my LFS to call me that it came in so I can go pick it up,

I'll post some pics of the one in the book after I upload them to my ISP ...

Albert

albertthiel

Hi. You have helped me a lot with my tank so far (30 gallon innovative marine nuvo) and I have another question. My only losses so far have been my pair of Banggai cardinals. They died a couple of months apart. My tank since cycling completed has continued to read 0 for nitrites and ammonia and less than 5 ppm for nitrate along with stable pH of 8.2/8.3 and specific gravity of 1.023/1.024. They were tank bred cardinals and appeared well and eating up until I found them dead. The female disappeared and I found the male sucked into my Hydor 425 powerhead. I have a pink streaked wrasse and a tailspot blenny left in the tank and they are doing great and are best buddies always hanging out together and visible. I have thought about adding another fish since the cardinals died but I am enjoying the blenny and wrasse and don't want to add something that will be aggressive to them. They seem to really enjoy having the tank to themselves. Would you add an additional fish and if so do you have any recommendations that would be peaceful enough that it would not harass the wrasse or blenny? Would a tanaka or possum wrasse be compatible with the pink streaked wrasse? Also any ideas about the cardinal fish deaths? Could the powerhead have sucked in and killed a healthy cardinal fish? Thanks for your help and I am enjoying your book so far by the way. Karen

You could add a peaceful fish like a Citron Goby or a one of the many shrimp Gobies ... that should not create any issues for you.

Now on the Banggai Cardinals ... that is a bit more difficult to figure out ... let me think about it and see what some of the causes could be and I'll post on that later ... odd indeed that both perished ...

I'll be back on that one ... sorry you lost them as they are such great and normally hardy fish ...

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Vector Graphics are kind of interesting .. Saw a few recently ...

Here is one of a Citron Goby a friend in the UK created for me. This a downsized version of the real one which is a bit too big to post (over 25 meg in PS)

CitronVector.png

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

One more update on the coquinas! It was a combo of the hermit and the brittle stars taking them out. I saw a couple prying one open:

IMAG0389_zpsba26892a.jpg

Could it be that the coquina was already gone when the brittle stars moved in as unless you have one of the Green Brittle/Serpent Stars they would not normally go for mollusks.

But if the Coquina was already gone so to speak then anything in the tank would move in to consume it including snails and shrimp if you had any ...

Thanks for the update and the addl info though ... I appreciate it ...

Albert

• Like 1

I think it was the one that the hermit had attacked actually. So they might have just been finishing it off? My sympodium isn't doing well which is really upsetting me now. Really wanted that blue in my tank.

oooh, I like the candycane!

• Like 1
albertthiel

I think it was the one that the hermit had attacked actually. So they might have just been finishing it off? My sympodium isn't doing well which is really upsetting me now. Really wanted that blue in my tank.

oooh, I like the candycane!

Yes more than likely that is what happened .. the Brittle Stars came in to have a meal on what was already gone ...

What is your Sympodium doing that you are not content with ? Can you post a pic so I can see what is going on ?

Thanks for the comment on the Candy Cane. That is how it has been looking for quite some time now, and it does not seem to grow addl heads because there are so many already that they are crowding each other out .. so maybe it is a self preservation reaction as if more grow they will be squished by the existing ones and not get any light possibly .. so what I may have to consider doing is frag it and give it some more area to grow new heads/polyps.

Albert

Yes more than likely that is what happened .. the Brittle Stars came in to have a meal on what was already gone ...

What is your Sympodium doing that you are not content with ? Can you post a pic so I can see what is going on ?

Thanks for the comment on the Candy Cane. That is how it has been looking for quite some time now, and it does not seem to grow addl heads because there are so many already that they are crowding each other out .. so maybe it is a self preservation reaction as if more grow they will be squished by the existing ones and not get any light possibly .. so what I may have to consider doing is frag it and give it some more area to grow new heads/polyps.

Albert

The sympodium won't open and it's just shrunk down teeny tiny. Like, it tries to open but then it shrinks back down to this:

IMAG0397_zps013540ea.jpg

and I wanted to take it off of the frag plug to put it on the rock, but it seems just so fragile.

How do you frag a candycane?

• Like 1
albertthiel

The sympodium won't open and it's just shrunk down teeny tiny. Like, it tries to open but then it shrinks back down to this:

IMAG0397_zps013540ea.jpg

and I wanted to take it off of the frag plug to put it on the rock, but it seems just so fragile.

How do you frag a candycane?

I think you need to put it higher up so it gets more light and more flow but not overly of it

Give that a try and let me know how it is doing after you change its position in the tank .. not sure that it is what it needs but that seems to be what you need to try and if that does not do it let me know

Albert

• Like 1

mkay, moved it. will report back later. also, I did a water change yesterday. So I don't think that it's my water. :S

I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my light, though. Our power went off completely a few days ago and since then the colors coming from it don't seem the same.

• Like 1
albertthiel

mkay, moved it. will report back later. also, I did a water change yesterday. So I don't think that it's my water. :S

I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my light, though. Our power went off completely a few days ago and since then the colors coming from it don't seem the same.

Well let's see what happens now that you moved it but I agree the shift in color could certainly result in what is happening. Hope your lights are not affected by what happened but if you do see a real change in color then you may need to change the bulbs if the coral does not open up again

Are you using LED's ? If not what kind of lighting is it .... I am signing off for the evening ...

Albert

An article on adding Peroxide directly to the Aquarium

Posted on a FWIW ...

Link :

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Hydrogen_peroxide]http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Hydrogen_peroxide[/url]

Albert

That's really helpful Albert to have those studies listed in the reference section there. I sure could have used that info on biofilm studies in a heckuva argument in the rc chem forum :) lately

The reference section of that link are good reads

Finding references about it in aquariums is hard

• Like 2