Cultivated Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I had to pop into town this afternoon and in doing so had to go close to an LFS I know which isn't the best to be honest. However I did drop in and while there saw a tank containing some Pearly dartfish Ptereleotris microlepis 4 in fact for a very reasonable £8 each about $12 I guess. I bought 2 of them which are around 3" nose to tail with one being slightly larger than the other. Surprisingly when released the didn't dive into the rockwork but stayed in open water almost as if they had been in my tank some days.

A couple of my fish went over to them to introduce themselves but no aggression was aimed at them. Even my boss of the tank my Midas blenny took little notice of them hardly giving them a second glance. They fed with the rest of my fish on some small mysis within an hour of introduction.

I will let them settle in before taking any pic's of them. However in the meantime here is a link to a video of some.

http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-2237341-stock-footage-pearly-dartfish-ptereleotris-microlepis-darting-underwater-in-papua-new-guinea.html

• Like 2
albertthiel

I had to pop into town this afternoon and in doing so had to go close to an LFS I know which isn't the best to be honest. However I did drop in and while there saw a tank containing some Pearly dartfish Ptereleotris microlepis 4 in fact for a very reasonable £8 each about $12 I guess. I bought 2 of them which are around 3" nose to tail with one being slightly larger than the other. Surprisingly when released the didn't dive into the rockwork but stayed in open water almost as if they had been in my tank some days.

A couple of my fish went over to them to introduce themselves but no aggression was aimed at them. Even my boss of the tank my Midas blenny took little notice of them hardly giving them a second glance. They fed with the rest of my fish on some small mysis within an hour of introduction.

I will let them settle in before taking any pic's of them. However in the meantime here is a link to a video of some.

http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-2237341-stock-footage-pearly-dartfish-ptereleotris-microlepis-darting-underwater-in-papua-new-guinea.html

Those are great looking Les ... nice and that was a good price for them too ... Another nice addition to the tank ... soon it will be time for another upgrade .. :-)

Love the look of them in that video link you added ... now we just need pics of them in your tank ...

Waiting to hear myself from my LFS when he as the Gumdrop in .. he said he found a place he could get one from ... once I get thim the Lantern Basslet goes back to the store ... he is getting toooooo big for the 20 ....

Thanks for posting that video ...

Albert

• Like 1

Thanks Albert and you are right NO MORE FISH from now on as I have no intentions of upgading yet again from my current 60 gallon.

On the Gum drops, we see them all the time here and are quite common in the LFS around here. Interesting they are related to lionfish as they look nothing like them to me. Not very active fish however just seem to sit around waiting for a meal.

My Pearly dartfish are spending all their time so far in the upper water layers just a few inches from the waters surface. All the info I have read say they spend most of their time near the substrate. Maybe once lights go out they will go down to the bottom to spend the night in the lower regions of the rockwork.

Those are great looking Les ... nice and that was a good price for them too ... Another nice addition to the tank ... soon it will be time for another upgrade .. :-)

Love the look of them in that video link you added ... now we just need pics of them in your tank ...

Waiting to hear myself from my LFS when he as the Gumdrop in .. he said he found a place he could get one from ... once I get thim the Lantern Basslet goes back to the store ... he is getting toooooo big for the 20 ....

Thanks for posting that video ...

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Thanks Albert and you are right NO MORE FISH from now on as I have no intentions of upgading yet again from my current 60 gallon.

On the Gum drops, we see them all the time here and are quite common in the LFS around here. Interesting they are related to lionfish as they look nothing like them to me. Not very active fish however just seem to sit around waiting for a meal.

My Pearly dartfish are spending all their time so far in the upper water layers just a few inches from the waters surface. All the info I have read say they spend most of their time near the substrate. Maybe once lights go out they will go down to the bottom to spend the night in the lower regions of the rockwork.

Wow I did not realize you actually had a 60 gallon tank ....

And on the Gumdrop .. interesting that they are widely available in the UK ... here they seen to be sold on line mostly and local LFS's do not seem to have them ... and even have a hard time finding where to order them from, at least based on what my LFS tells me but maybe that is just that store.

Yes, hopefully new little marvels will decide to hover at the bottom and not keep hanging out by the top, kind of ready to jump should any of the other fish become aggressive towards them ... so I would keep an eye on that for sure ...

Albert

• Like 1

Wow I did not realize you actually had a 60 gallon tank ....

Its a 2'x2'x2' with a sump so yep around 60gallons in total.

And on the Gumdrop .. interesting that they are widely available in the UK ... here they seen to be sold on line mostly and local LFS's do not seem to have them ... and even have a hard time finding where to order them from, at least based on what my LFS tells me but maybe that is just that store.

I think they mostly if not all come from the largest importer of fish and corals in the UK The Tropical Marine Centre TMC for short.

Yes, hopefully new little marvels will decide to hover at the bottom and not keep hanging out by the top, kind of ready to jump should any of the other fish become aggressive towards them ... so I would keep an eye on that for sure ...

Albert

Yeah that is a little worrying as I have an open topped tank however I do have a surround which should help.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Its a 2'x2'x2' with a sump so yep around 60gallons in total.

I think they mostly if not all come from the largest importer of fish and corals in the UK The Tropical Marine Centre TMC for short.

Yeah that is a little worrying as I have an open topped tank however I do have a surround which should help.

Forgot about that sump Les .... nice size ... not really a Nano anymore but a "maxi-nano" so I guess the next book will have to be called "All you ever wanted to know about Maxi-Nano's" by Les Melling ....

So you need to start writing Les ... the sooner you start, the sooner the book will be ready :-o

And on the Gumdrops ... could be indeed that TMC is where they all come from ... not sure what over large wholesalers are still around in the UK>

Here each region seems to have a fairly sizable one and some regions have real large ones ... I think that the one I am getting maybe coming from Sunpet which actually is an ATL wholesaler but one that my LFS does not deal with on a regular basis.

Albert

• Like 1

I think I will leave the book writing to you Albert seems far too much like hard work with plenty of problems along the way as you have experienced not to mention a risky financial business along with it.

Forgot about that sump Les .... nice size ... not really a Nano anymore but a "maxi-nano" so I guess the next book will have to be called "All you ever wanted to know about Maxi-Nano's" by Les Melling ....

So you need to start writing Les ... the sooner you start, the sooner the book will be ready :-o

And on the Gumdrops ... could be indeed that TMC is where they all come from ... not sure what over large wholesalers are still around in the UK>

Here each region seems to have a fairly sizable one and some regions have real large ones ... I think that the one I am getting maybe coming from Sunpet which actually is an ATL wholesaler but one that my LFS does not deal with on a regular basis.

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I think I will leave the book writing to you Albert seems far too much like hard work with plenty of problems along the way as you have experienced not to mention a risky financial business along with it.

Yes lots of work indeed, sometimes problems too, and as you say the biggest one is the financial risk as printing a large number of books, to get the price per book down (well down is relative in this context), is a big risk indeed .... maybe I should say BIG ...

One has to sell a lot of books just to recoup the printing investment ... that is for sure ...

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I just picked up a Possum wrasse so I figured I would take a picture while I am acclimating him because once I put him in the tank, I will probably never see him again.

2013-04-22114700_zpsaf1caee9.jpg

Nice .... but I see you bought the upside down version of the Pygmy as well :-o Just kidding

I like those very much but beware as if they get chased around they may "jump" .... but in your big tank they have so many hiding spots that that may not be the case as it can hide as you say ... and hopefully not for too long as it is a nice Wrasse to watch swims around ...

Nice acquisition Paul ...

Albert

albertthiel

If he jumps he is out of luck because there is no net and it is a long way to the floor.

Yes and if he does that would be a pity indeed but as I said in your large tank and with all the hiding spots he may not try to jump.. at least I do hope so for you, and he cannot fly either so if he does ... well .. not much one can do ... My guess is he will not but of course I cannot be sure ...

Albert

I have been asked many times what the dilution rate of 35% peroxide is for use in Oxydator's so here is a simple to use guide.

1 part 35% H2O2 to 1 part water is 35/2 = 17.5%

1 part 35% H2O2 to 2 parts water is 35/3 = 11.7%

1 part 35% H2O2 to 3 parts water is 35/4 = 8.75%

1 part 35% H2O2 to 4 parts water is 35/5 = 7%

1 part 35% H2O2 to 5 parts water is 35/6 = 5.83%

Of course you don't need to be spot on near enough is more than adequate for our needs.

• Like 2
albertthiel

I have been asked many times what the dilution rate of 35% peroxide is for use in Oxydator's so here is a simple to use guide.

1 part 35% H2O2 to 1 part water is 35/2 = 17.5%

1 part 35% H2O2 to 2 parts water is 35/3 = 11.7%

1 part 35% H2O2 to 3 parts water is 35/4 = 8.75%

1 part 35% H2O2 to 4 parts water is 35/5 = 7%

1 part 35% H2O2 to 5 parts water is 35/6 = 5.83%

Of course you don't need to be spot on near enough is more than adequate for our needs.

Thanks Les ... and exactly one does not have to be "precise" ... as the difference in concentration between precise and nearly the right amount is not going to be that important in the larger scheme of things

Albert

• Like 1

This is very true Albert.

There are so so many influencing factors such as stocking levels, bio load, feeding regime, other forms of filtration and tank maintenance to name but a few all of which will add or retract from the working/effectiveness of the Oxydator. However as said you have to go to high levels of peroxide to create a negative reaction so there is a lot of lea way when it comes to the % of peroxide used.

BTW Albert did you increase the % of peroxide in your Oxydator if so what % are you running at now?. .

Thanks Les ... and exactly one does not have to be "precise" ... as the difference in concentration between precise and nearly the right amount is not going to be that important in the larger scheme of things

Albert

• Like 1

A YouTube vid of a Oxydator running in a FW tank.

For it to produce such a torrent of fine bubbles it must have been running a very high % of peroxide and or a number of catalysts.

• Like 1
albertthiel

This is very true Albert.

There are so so many influencing factors such as stocking levels, bio load, feeding regime, other forms of filtration and tank maintenance to name but a few all of which will add or retract from the working/effectiveness of the Oxydator. However as said you have to go to high levels of peroxide to create a negative reaction so there is a lot of lea way when it comes to the % of peroxide used.

BTW Albert did you increase the % of peroxide in your Oxydator if so what % are you running at now?. .

Very true indeed .. all that affects not only the concentration that one would use but also in somewhat larger tanks the # of catalysts (the Sochting ones) ....

And yes I did increase mine from 3% to 4 % and am running 6 % currently.

I use 35 % and dilute it to about 6 % ... .... 35 / 6 = 5.83 minus the 1 part that is peroxide so + 4.83 par of water and that comes out to about 6 % ...

Albert

• Like 1

What is the root purpose for the use of an Oxydator in a SW environment?

I understand using H2O2 for pest algae issues but not in conjunction with an Oxydator.

• Like 1
albertthiel

A YouTube vid of a Oxydator running in a FW tank.

For it to produce such a torrent of fine bubbles it must have been running a very high % of peroxide and or a number of catalysts.

Yes that must have been a strong solution indeed with several catalysts as normally the bubbles cannot not even be seen most of the time except under the circumstances described ... at least in the genuine ones.

Albert

• Like 1

That question as been answered many times on here if you want to read back it will answer that question and many more. However it is capable of eliminating cyno and can help reduce hair algae. Some have reported elimination of hair algae but I doubt the Oxydator was the sole reason to be honest. An Oxydator will raise the redox and oxygen level significantly and also reduce compounds in the water that feed nuisance algae esp the likes or red and green cyno.

What is the root purpose for the use of an Oxydator in a SW environment?

I understand using H2O2 for pest algae issues but not in conjunction with an Oxydator.

• Like 3

That question as been answered many times on here if you want to read back it will answer that question and many more. However it is capable of eliminating cyno and can help reduce hair algae. Some have reported elimination of hair algae but I doubt the Oxydator was the sole reason to be honest. An Oxydator will raise the redox and oxygen level significantly and also reduce compounds in the water that feed nuisance algae esp the likes or red and green cyno.

So it's the same purpose as manually dosing HydPeroxide in a reef tank?

Now the light is coming on :)

• Like 1