Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

In your experience, would an emerald crab eat GHA? I'm thinking of getting one here pretty soon. Thanks in advance for any help :)

Yes hair algae and very small algae that grow on rocks. Some suggest that it eats other algae too but I have no definite evidence of that. What I have seen the one that is in my tank do however is nibble at Caulerpa but all it does it break up the runners but it does not eat the actual algae as far as I am able to confirm.

They stay small and should not harm anything else in the tank as long as it can find algae to consume, Does not eat green and red wiry algae either that I can see or confirm. And no Bryopsis either although there are reports that it does but those may be either the same kind of behavior: picking at them but not consuming them,

Hopefully this helps but if you have more questions do not hesitate to post them here on this thread

Albert

• Like 1
Blubbernaut

Yes hair algae and very small algae that grow on rocks. Some suggest that it eats other algae too but I have no definite evidence of that. What I have seen the one that is in my tank do however is nibble at Caulerpa but all it does it break up the runners but it does not eat the actual algae as far as I am able to confirm.

They stay small and should not harm anything else in the tank as long as it can find algae to consume, Does not eat green and red wiry algae either that I can see or confirm. And no Bryopsis either although there are reports that it does but those may be either the same kind of behavior: picking at them but not consuming them,

Hopefully this helps but if you have more questions do not hesitate to post them here on this thread

Albert

Thanks! Then it's decided that I'll get one. How do I drip acclimate? Or is it necessary to drip acclimate an emerald?

• Like 1
albertthiel

Thanks! Then it's decided that I'll get one. How do I drip acclimate? Or is it necessary to drip acclimate an emerald?

Some say that it is not but since you don't know what the difference in water parameters is between your tank and where it comes from it certainly will not hurt to drip acclimate (when I added mine I dripped for 45 minutes and then added it to the tank directly on a rock).

I did not see it for probably a day and a half but then I noticed it on a rock in the back of the tank ,,, not always easy to see as they are so small. I have not had any issues with mine and it is still munching and munching ...

I see it at night a lot more than during the day, after the lights have been out for say an hour, using a red light to check what else I see that is in the tank.

I am getting some LED red lights in from the UK that should arrive in the next few days and that I will make available for sale to those who want them.. They got some real good reviews on Reefbuilders and I posted pics of them on earlier pages ...

Albert

albertthiel

Sounds good, except I don't honestly know how to drip acclimate.....Help? :D

Run airline tubing from your tank to a small container in which you put the crab with the water it came in. Tie a knot in the airline tubing and tighten the knot till you get a drip rather than a flow of tank water, The drip suggested is about a drop every second or so and let it drip for say 30 to 45 minutes. After the water level in the container rises, remove some of it but not too much. Let the drip continue. Make sure the container has very smooth sides so the Emerald cannot crawl out. It may sit still for a good while and move from time to time and that is ok.

To start the drip with one end of the airline tubing in the tank (and so it cannot slip out) use mouth suction on the airline tubing and the flow will start and then tie the knot and regulate the drip as described above.

Albert

Blubbernaut

Run airline tubing from your tank to a small container in which you put the crab with the water it came in. Tie a knot in the airline tubing and tighten the knot till you get a drip rather than a flow of tank water, The drip suggested is about a drop every second or so and let it drip for say 30 to 45 minutes. After the water level in the container rises, remove some of it but not too much. Let the drip continue. Make sure the container has very smooth sides so the Emerald cannot crawl out. It may sit still for a good while and move from time to time and that is ok.

To start the drip with one end of the airline tubing in the tank (and so it cannot slip out) use mouth suction on the airline tubing and the flow will start and then tie the knot and regulate the drip as described above.

Albert

:) Thanks! I'll head to the lfs next weekend and pick up an emerald.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Thanks! I'll head to the lfs next weekend and pick up an emerald.

You are welcome ... and if you have more questions don't hesitate to ask

Albert

albertthiel

The Two Spot Goby ..... Strange but a very interesting one ...

Video shows a pair .... watch its behavior ..

Link :

Albert

I like Hawkfish ...

hawkarma.png

albertthiel

A Yasha Goby and Shrimp --- and you have to see this Goby's Behavior

Really interesting how it moves as you will see

Link :

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

The construction and set up of a Perfect German Aquarium (Berlin)

The whole sequence of how it was set up and built is shown in this very interesting Video, the whole system design is shown including the sump and everything else that is part of this really high end Reef Tank

Link :

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Spotband Butterflyfish Chaetodon Punctatofasciatus

© reefs.com

Click on the image for a larger image

spotband_butterflyfishchaetodon_punctato

Albert

Blubbernaut

The Two Spot Goby ..... Strange but a very interesting one ...

Video shows a pair .... watch its behavior ..

Link :

Albert

I like Hawkfish ...

hawkarma.png

Lemme guess, breeding behavior?

• Like 1
albertthiel

Lemme guess, breeding behavior?

Yes indeed that is sure what it looks like .... but and an interesting to watch courtship behavior it is.

Albert

A Yasha Goby and Shrimp --- and you have to see this Goby's Behavior

Really interesting how it moves as you will see

Link :

Albert

I want one of those so badly! well, the goby/shrimp pair, in general, but I really love that one in particular!

So my ex successfully kept a handful of coquinas in his tank (at least in the 4 months that we were still talking -I don't know about now),and I just decided to add a couple to my tank... They're under the edge of my ricordea, it's kind of weird, but the ric doesn't seem bothered at all by it. Do you know why they're doing that? Initially they buried themselves then I noticed one was under there earlier, and I watched the second one scoot it's way under just a bit ago. they're stick out just a bit. I guess my hermit got the other one because it's shell is laying open on the sand.

• Like 1

Good morning Albert (early PM here)

Some interesting posts and experiments going on at isiandoftiki thread on Oxydator's at the moment. I have had a number of questions posted on the UK forum as well which I have just answered. One of the questions related to using the pond "W" Oxydator version to be put in the sump. I missed the question which was asked many months ago. It will be interesting to see what the guy replies if indeed he does given the length of time it took me to spot it and reply.

• Like 2
albertthiel

I want one of those so badly! well, the goby/shrimp pair, in general, but I really love that one in particular!

So my ex successfully kept a handful of coquinas in his tank (at least in the 4 months that we were still talking -I don't know about now),and I just decided to add a couple to my tank... They're under the edge of my ricordea, it's kind of weird, but the ric doesn't seem bothered at all by it. Do you know why they're doing that? Initially they buried themselves then I noticed one was under there earlier, and I watched the second one scoot it's way under just a bit ago. they're stick out just a bit. I guess my hermit got the other one because it's shell is laying open on the sand.

Yes that particular one is certainly a very nice one to own, but their are a large number of shrimp Gobies, so looking around is what I would recommend as the choice will be large, and so making a decision will be needed on which one exactly to get ... There are quite a few discussed in my Nano-Reef Aquariums book btw.

Also next Sunday I will be doing a radio talk show on Shrimp Gobies. Yesterday evening the show on "Blogtalk Radio" was on Citron Gobies, Clown Gobies and the not so common Panda Goby.

All Shows are recorded (I have done quiet a few so far) and I'll try to find the links to the shows and post them.

Now on the Coquinas ... they do so to avoid light ... and will sometimes just find a ledge they can hide underneath or sometimes bury themselves with only their feeding tube visible so it is a normal behavior for them.

And yes I gather something got the better of one of them if you found an open shell ... wonder though whether it was the Hermit crab. Coquinas have a natural enemy that is actually a boring snail, the Terebra snail, which preys on them and hopefully you do not have any of those in the tank ... They can be quite small but also fairly large, so you would probably have noticed them but not if they were the small kind as they too bury themselves and you may not see them that easily (they are also referred to as Auger snails). ...

Keep an eye on those Coquinas and let me know whether I can help in any other way ... below is a larger Terebra specimen

terebrasnail.png

Albert

Yes that particular one is certainly a very nice one to own, but their are a large number of shrimp Gobies, so looking around is what I would recommend as the choice will be large, and so making a decision will be needed on which one exactly to get ... There are quite a few discussed in my Nano-Reef Aquariums book btw.

Also next Sunday I will be doing a radio talk show on Shrimp Gobies. Yesterday evening the show on "Blogtalk Radio" was on Citron Gobies, Clown Gobies and the not so common Panda Goby.

All Shows are recorded (I have done quiet a few so far) and I'll try to find the links to the shows and post them.

Now on the Coquinas ... they do so to avoid light ... and will sometimes just find a ledge they can hide underneath or sometimes bury themselves with only their feeding tube visible so it is a normal behavior for them.

And yes I gather something got the better of one of them if you found an open shell ... wonder though whether it was the Hermit crab. Coquinas have a natural enemy that is actually a boring snail, the Terebra snail, which preys on them and hopefully you do not have any of those in the tank ... They can be quite small but also fairly large, so you would probably have noticed them but not if they were the small kind as they too bury themselves and you may not see them that easily (they are also referred to as Auger snails). ...

Keep an eye on those Coquinas and let me know whether I can help in any other way ... below is a larger Terebra specimen

Albert

oh dear. well, I've never seen one of those before, and I do sit here and stare at my tank for long periods of time - since time is all I have lately! My hermit is an a-hole. he killed all but one of my snails, as I caught him doing it twice, but it wasn't even for their shells! So that's why I assumed he offed that coquina, too... plus, it was out in the open in a more shallow spot in the sand bed - my damsel likes to make little hollows under the little rock bridges that I had created in my tank. If I had one of those auger snails in my tank, wouldn't it go after the other bivalves that came in as hitchhikers, as well?

Hopefully I remember to check back to see if you get links up for the talk show! I'm really interested in what you have to say. How much is the nano-reef aquariums book?

• Like 1
albertthiel

Good morning Albert (early PM here)

Some interesting posts and experiments going on at isiandoftiki thread on Oxydator's at the moment. I have had a number of questions posted on the UK forum as well which I have just answered. One of the questions related to using the pond "W" Oxydator version to be put in the sump. I missed the question which was asked many months ago. It will be interesting to see what the guy replies if indeed he does given the length of time it took me to spot it and reply.

Yes I have been following them and wonder whether that bottle is going to hold up or blow up ... seems like it's got a lot of pressure in it already.

An on the Pond W one .... wonder how big a tank that is as that W model is a big boy for sure !

Albert

• Like 2
albertthiel

oh dear. well, I've never seen one of those before, and I do sit here and stare at my tank for long periods of time - since time is all I have lately! My hermit is an a-hole. he killed all but one of my snails, as I caught him doing it twice, but it wasn't even for their shells! So that's why I assumed he offed that coquina, too... plus, it was out in the open in a more shallow spot in the sand bed - my damsel likes to make little hollows under the little rock bridges that I had created in my tank. If I had one of those auger snails in my tank, wouldn't it go after the other bivalves that came in as hitchhikers, as well?

Hopefully I remember to check back to see if you get links up for the talk show! I'm really interested in what you have to say. How much is the nano-reef aquariums book?

Yes well it sounds like it is the Hermit based on what you describe, which is why I do not keep any in my tank, tjhey are too unpredictable and can turn on you from nice little hermits to nasty pieces of work indeed. My guess is if that it the culprit then you do not have those snails in the tank.

Nasty Hermit for sure ... I would get him out if I were you. If you have a sump you could put him in there but if not you may have to try and return him to an LFS or ... well dispose of him in some other way ... what kind of hermit is it btw?

I'll try to find the links and post them for sure ...

And on the book go to: http://nano.athiel.net/order.html and if you place the order in the next hour or two the book will go out today, or you can order the e-Version of you prefer .... just click on the link and the info is at the bottom ... 448 pages full of info. The book gets you the e-version for free for the same price and you also get a free 1 year subscription to the Nano Reef Newsletter (25 issues). Lots of info for sure ...

Thanks

Albert

• Like 1

Yes well it sounds like it is the Hermit based on what you describe, which is why I do not keep any in my tank, tjhey are too unpredictable and can turn on you from nice little hermits to nasty pieces of work indeed. My guess is if that it the culprit then you do not have those snails in the tank.

Nasty Hermit for sure ... I would get him out if I were you. If you have a sump you could put him in there but if not you may have to try and return him to an LFS or ... well dispose of him in some other way ... what kind of hermit is it btw?

I'll try to find the links and post them for sure ...

And on the book go to: http://nano.athiel.net/order.html and if you place the order in the next hour or two the book will go out today, or you can order the e-Version of you prefer .... just click on the link and the info is at the bottom ... 448 pages full of info. The book gets you the e-version for free for the same price and you also get a free 1 year subscription to the Nano Reef Newsletter (25 issues). Lots of info for sure ...

Thanks

Albert

His legs are blue but his claws look red and white. I gave away my first hermit crabs for being jerks then I decided to try again, and I really can't stand them. he just walked all over my sympodium, which already doesn't seem like it's doing so great, and now they're all tiny and closed up again. I really just want to chuck him in the ditch outside my house. at this point, he's killed more than he's worth by far, and I don't want to ride my bike 7 miles just to give him to a lfs.

I only have a 6 gallon tank so I didn't think I needed a sump or anything too fancy :/

I'm broke as $&%* right now :/ I will certainly keep it in mind for down the road, though!! :D

thanks so much.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Albert, that looks exactly like that thing in Star Trek 4 that was communicating with the whales

Yes he does indeed somewhat .... of course in those sci-fi movies they come up with the strangest looking creatures for sure .

Albert

albertthiel

His legs are blue but his claws look red and white. I gave away my first hermit crabs for being jerks then I decided to try again, and I really can't stand them. he just walked all over my sympodium, which already doesn't seem like it's doing so great, and now they're all tiny and closed up again. I really just want to chuck him in the ditch outside my house. at this point, he's killed more than he's worth by far, and I don't want to ride my bike 7 miles just to give him to a lfs.

I only have a 6 gallon tank so I didn't think I needed a sump or anything too fancy :/

I'm broke as $&%* right now :/ I will certainly keep it in mind for down the road, though!! :D

thanks so much.

Yes I know which one you have and as I said Hermits are IMO way too unpredictable, as you have found out unfortunately.

And I agree he has done enough damage ...

And no on the 6 gallon no sump needed so you'll have to find another way to dispose of him if that is what you want to do .

Check your PM .... sent you a message there.

Albert

• Like 1