SaltCritters.com

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Albert, What date is the newsletter comming out? I did get my order already :) and the digital copy :):) I am glad that you have the digital book sorted out...

Maybe you can provide a link to your newsletter part#1 ? I missed that one...

• Like 1
albertthiel

Albert, What date is the newsletter comming out? I did get my order already :) and the digital copy :):) I am glad that you have the digital book sorted out...

Maybe you can provide a link to your newsletter part#1 ? I missed that one...

Newsletter #1 is the introductory one, which explains why it is being produced, # 2 should be out in about 7 days or so. It is more than half done so far (5 pages).

The link to #1 was sent ... but if you did not get it :

http://www.athiel.net/NR_Newsletter_1_1.pdf

Albert

• Like 1

That I don't doubt Paul but there must have been another way to catch them IMO although they are "quick" and of course flat as they are scooping them out may not be that easy ... but how about a large net ... I am no flounder-catching-expert by any stretch of the imagination just trying to think of a less brutal way of catching them ... of course in the end they get killed anyway and eaten ...but...

Maybe they could be lured with something ... not blackworms of course ;-o but you know better than I do what could be used instead of the a "spear"

Albert

apomac.png

Well as you said Albert I ate them anyway. I could have kept them and waited until they died of Old age or consulted Dr. Kavorkian, but I eat fish almost every day and virtually all of them sufficated on the deck of a boat so spearing them would be more humane.

Catching them on a hook is not all that pleasent either. If I netted them which would be very hard while diving, I would still have to kill them some how. I don't hunt and rarely eat meat so I save animals that way. A Christian like myself knows that even Jesus ate fish and he most likely also let them suffocate on the boat.

We feed mysis to our fish, do they have more rights than the fish we eat? I know many people don't like to cycle a tank with a damsel but they will put in a dead shrimp. I think that shrimp had as many rights as that damsel and it was killed just to help out with our hobby. That is how I justify killing animals for food. Now when I eat vegetables that is a different story. Before I cook asparagus I sing to it, then read to it and when it falls asleep, I cut it in half. :o

• Like 1
albertthiel

Well as you said Albert I ate them anyway. I could have kept them and waited until they died of Old age or consulted Dr. Kavorkian, but I eat fish almost every day and virtually all of them sufficated on the deck of a boat so spearing them would be more humane.

Catching them on a hook is not all that pleasent either. If I netted them which would be very hard while diving, I would still have to kill them some how. I don't hunt and rarely eat meat so I save animals that way. A Christian like myself knows that even Jesus ate fish and he most likely also let them suffocate on the boat.

We feed mysis to our fish, do they have more rights than the fish we eat? I know many people don't like to cycle a tank with a damsel but they will put in a dead shrimp. I think that shrimp had as many rights as that damsel and it was killed just to help out with our hobby. That is how I justify killing animals for food. Now when I eat vegetables that is a different story. Before I cook asparagus I sing to it, then read to it and when it falls asleep, I cut it in half. :o

Yes I guess all that is indeed what happens ... if we don't kill them one way we do it another way .. like boiling live lobsters could be added ...

But don't know the "spear" method just seems more cruel than other methods but I guess there are so many other methods used that it really is just a matter of a personal feeling or opinion ...

Guess I'll eat more chicken ... oh no .. we kill those too !

Thanks Paul ...

Albert

Yes I guess all that is indeed what happens ... if we don't kill them one way we do it another way .. like boiling live lobsters could be added ...

But don't know the "spear" method just seems more cruel than other methods but I guess there are so many other methods used that it really is just a matter of a personal feeling or opinion ...

Guess I'll eat more chicken ... oh no .. we kill those too !

Thanks Paul ...

Albert

I feel bad for lobsters and don't put them in boiling water, I kill them in a pot of fresh water. They run out of oxygen quickly and die. I don't know what else to do and yes those chickens did not volunteer to become Purdue profits either.

If we wear leather shoes, those cattle were stabbed in the head with a bolt to kill them. When I was a kid, my Mother sent me to the Chicken market to buy a chicken. (yes I am old and we had chicken markets because chickens don't grow in a supermarket) while there, I saw they had a duck hanging up side down with his throat cut and they were draining his blood while he was still alive. To this day I can't get that picture out of my mind and I thought it was horrible. But I guess that is how it has been done forever even though I could not do it. I would imagine if we had been born 150 years ago it would be nothing to us as live animals were killed that way.

Thats why when I saw this duck in Viet Nam hanging up side down from a little kids bicycle I traded somcthing for the duck and saved him. He was the best pet I ever had and would not wander more than a few feet from me. He would sleep with his head on me and come flying in helocopers almost every day.

Duck.jpgDuck.jpg

I also rescued this guy who walked out of the jungle up to me with schrapnel in his tail. I pulled out the metel fragments and he also stayed near me for a couple of weeks then walked back into the jungle.

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/Baldassano02.jpg.html'>Baldassano02.jpg

• Like 2
albertthiel

I feel bad for lobsters and don't put them in boiling water, I kill them in a pot of fresh water. They run out of oxygen quickly and die. I don't know what else to do and yes those chickens did not volunteer to become Purdue profits either.

If we wear leather shoes, those cattle were stabbed in the head with a bolt to kill them. When I was a kid, my Mother sent me to the Chicken market to buy a chicken. (yes I am old and we had chicken markets because chickens don't grow in a supermarket) while there, I saw they had a duck hanging up side down with his throat cut and they were draining his blood while he was still alive.

To this day I can't get that picture out of my mind and I thought it was horrible. But I guess that is how it has been done forever even though I could not do it. I would imagine if we had been born 150 years ago it would be nothing to us as live animals were killed that way.

Thats why when I saw this duck in Viet Nam hanging up side down from a little kids bicycle I traded somcthing for the duck and saved him. He was the best pet I ever had and would not wander more than a few feet from me. He would sleep with his head on me and come flying in helocopers almost every day.

I also rescued this guy who walked out of the jungle up to me with schrapnel in his tail. I pulled out the metel fragments and he also stayed near me for a couple of weeks then walked back into the jungle.

Well I grew up in the restaurant business and we used the boil water and then stick them into it ... as that is how it was done in those days in Belgium ... long time ago... but your method works too but whether it is more humane if there is such a thing when it comes to food for our consumption is one of those question that one could argue about forever and ever I guess.

Nice of you to save that critter .... and the Duck .. but then I guess at some point it got caught again and ended up the same way .. one of these days maybe food will be all "artificial" and made from soy ... like the Hamburgers they already make and a number of other foods ... Reminds me of a Sci-Fi movie called "Soilent Green" ... human body recycling .... kind of scary when you think about that one.

Maybe we should all just become vegetarians :-o or eat flakes and twinkies :-o or chew on sugar cane like I used to do when I used to go to the ex Belgian Congo and to Thailand where they used to have the carts on the street that sold them like the Hamburger stands in NYC ...

Just had sardines ... so should not object too much to how the food we eat gets to us eventually ...

And in Taiwan they took me to Snake Alley ... eat snake and drink its blood ... as a test they seem to put foreigners through who visit Taiwan ... good thing I had drank a good deal of rice wine before eating that and drinking the blood ... still feel ikie when I think about it.

Albert

Well I grew up in the restaurant business and we used the boil water and then stick them into it ... as that is how it was done in those days in Belgium ... long time ago... but your method works too but whether it is more humane if there is such a thing when it comes to food for our consumption is one of those question that one could argue about forever and ever I guess.

Nice of you to save that critter .... and the Duck .. but then I guess at some point it got caught again and ended up the same way .. one of these days maybe food will be all "artificial" and made from soy ... like the Hamburgers they already make and a number of other foods ... Reminds me of a Sci-Fi movie called "Soilent Green" ... human body recycling .... kind of scary when you think about that one.

Maybe we should all just become vegetarians :-o or eat flakes and twinkies :-o or chew on sugar cane like I used to do when I used to go to the ex Belgian Congo and to Thailand where they used to have the carts on the street that sold them like the Hamburger stands in NYC ...

Just had sardines ... so should not object too much to how the food we eat gets to us eventually ...

And in Taiwan they took me to Snake Alley ... eat snake and drink its blood ... as a test they seem to put foreigners through who visit Taiwan ... good thing I had drank a good deal of rice wine before eating that and drinking the blood ... still feel ikie when I think about it.

Albert

Can always try eating California black worms...(or white worms) :P

How's the black worm keeper coming along Albert ?

R.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Can always try eating California black worms...(or white worms) :P How's the black worm keeper coming along Albert ? R.

Yuk but then depending on what country one is in I have seen people eat "stuff" I would never touch ... although at one point I was at an event where South African specialties where served and one of them was a crunchy little snack looking thing that turned out to be fried grubs ... so go figure ...

Worm Keeper is doing fine ... I'll take a pic of it and post it .. a bit crude and simple but it works, keep them alive but too many have ended up on the bottom and as Paul said once they get into the tank underneath the tray they hard to get ... but with those basters I have that Paul made I can suck them out little by little .. I'll have to improve in the tray at the top still so not that many make it down to the tank underneath ...

Albert

• Like 1

Mine make it to the tank also that is why I have another container in the tank that the tray dumps into. Most (but not all ) of the worms go in there and I suck them out.

Yes Soylent green, great movie, Edward G Robinson, also a great actor but a little out of his comfort zone when they made him Jewish in

"The Ten Commandmants) Great line "Where's your Moses Now"

• Like 1
albertthiel

Mine make it to the tank also that is why I have another container in the tank that the tray dumps into. Most (but not all ) of the worms go in there and I suck them out.

Yes Soylent green, great movie, Edward G Robinson, also a great actor but a little out of his comfort zone when they made him Jewish in

"The Ten Commandmants) Great line "Where's your Moses Now"

Yes I thought so indeed ... a bit out if his regular persona ....

The worms: They seem to survive even if they get sucked trough the powerhead ... tough little worms they are for sure ... Looking for the pic I took a few days ago so I can post it ...

And on Sci-Fi movies : The Night of the Triffids ... that was another classic ...

Albert

albertthiel

So you are a Sci Fy nut like me

Yes indeed ... lots of books and seen all the good movies ... but not too many good ones came out lately ... Watch Dune again not too long ago (the newer version as I did not think the first one was all that good) ... Liked 1984 a lot ... and of course quite a few others

Albert

albertthiel

Yes Dune was great, spice worms, Patrick Steward and all. Loved Avitar, but I like all sci fi, I guess that is why I run a RUGF

Loved those worms and the spice ... and the blue eyes ... and yes I saw Avatar twice ... great movie ... I am also a big fan of submarines and must have seen just about every movie that ever came out with them in it ... must have seen the Hunt for Red October 15 or more times :-o

And yes in aquarium keeping you do like "older" sic-fi ... the Jules Verne type I guess : "Running a reef for 42 years with an RUGF" he would have called it I think ...

Albert

albertthiel

If you have not seen the S p e c i a l on the e-Version of my new book, and the fact that you can get it today in a personalized and signed version, with you name in it and even a picture of your tank in it if you send me one ... go to :

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/305180-the-official-ask-albert-thiel-thread/?p=4299665

$20.00 and after I personalize it I send you a link to Dropbox for the Download.

Personalization offer (which takes a lot of time to do and upload) expires at midnight today for North America and at noon tomorrow for all other countries due to the time differences.

Thanks and apologies for the Plug for the book but this IS a special

Albert

• Like 2
albertthiel

Mandarin gobies eat pods. Are mini brittle stars considered pods? Will the mandarin eat these mini brittle stars? R.

No those are too large still .. but I have seen Mandarin munch on other foods but the mainstay is pods and Mandarins hunt for them the whole day long on rocks and wherever else they can find them .. having a fuge where pods are cultured is a good idea therefore. Pods and newly hatched brine shrimp (Nauplii) are what they will go for and what they need. Most of what they hunt for is so small that often we cannot even see those bugs or pods.

As a side note : Mandarins do not get ick ... their skin is coated with a slimy oily matter that keeps the parasites away, also at night they can go through quite a color change, but of course they are not the only fish to do so after dark. Also they are not true gobies although they are referred to goby just about everywhere you look, they are Dragonets.

They can be very difficult to get to feed refusing all foods except for live pods and Nauplii, so when buying one I would make sure you can see it feed .... Great fishes.

There are various types such as the larger blue, red or green Synchiropus splendidus, and the smaller Target/Spotted Synchiropus picturatus.

Albert

• Like 1