Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

I carefully printed a zero on my monitor screen in magic marker right after my Likes number so it adds 100 to whatever the number is. This way I don't have to check it as I know it is great.

That green water and rotifers looks like my house did manytimes when I used to raise fish. It brings back memories and a lot of hard work. Looks great.

:-0 well I cannot see it unless I hold my cursor over my name, and then that little screen pops up that shows the number ... :-0 and I do look from time to time but not all that often. I just click on the green button on the right to like the ones that are posted ...

Gee I should add a zero too then right ? No not really ... but it is nice to see, from time to time, that the number has gone up ...

coppper.png

Albert

albertthiel

Paul, The green water (phyto) is as easy or as hard as you want to make it. In my case I like easy some others like hard however the results are the same in most cases IME. ;)

Some like slip on shoes others with trillions of laces. :D

+1

butterf.png

Isn't that a lot like the Hydor FLO rotating thing?

Yes kind of similar but this one seems to have a wider spread of the water of up to a 90 degree swing based on what I read and it has a large number of fittings that can be used to tailor the flow which the other one does not have as far as I know

Albert

The Hydor FLo (I have 3 or 4 of these) are cheap and can jam up easily after about 3 months of use. Especially if you use kalk. Macro algae also makes it jam up easily. They can also barely handle 300gph in flow without either blowing off what they're attached to or jamming again. The IM stream version of this which is better made and has a nicer pattern also have the same problems.

I've been meaning to get one of these Sea Swirls. I'm going to try the 3/4" version for my 75 gallon rimless Edge mated with a Eheim Compact 2000+. This seems more like a premium product with it's own motor and doesn't reduce flow like the other two do.

• Like 1

As I said I have read all, or almost all of Albert's book and I enjoyed it. I also go back to it almost every day to look up things as I just did and I would like to add something to what you said on page 390.

You state that to remove a polyclad clam eating worm would be to use tweezers. But I think a Phillips head screwdriver would be better. It is amazing how similar that worm eating clam looks like a #10 Phillips sheet metal screw. Mother Nature is awesome.

• Like 1
albertthiel

The Hydor FLo (I have 3 or 4 of these) are cheap and can jam up easily after about 3 months of use. Especially if you use kalk. Macro algae also makes it jam up easily. They can also barely handle 300gph in flow without either blowing off what they're attached to or jamming again. The IM stream version of this which is better made and has a nicer pattern also have the same problems.

I've been meaning to get one of these Sea Swirls. I'm going to try the 3/4" version for my 75 gallon rimless Edge mated with a Eheim Compact 2000+. This seems more like a premium product with it's own motor and doesn't reduce flow like the other two do.

I have one of them but it is not the FLO version it is just the regular one and it has an external magnetic attachment that holds the one in the thank in place and you are right the output does not seem to be what the rating says ... maybe I need to give it a good soak in water with some vinegar in it and clean it thoroughly ... Thinking of switching to Max-Jet with the flow redirection attachment they make for it that I happened to see the other day.

Not sure how yours come loose unless they are attached with that external vaccum suction part ... which does seem to come loose even on other brands IME.

triggerr.png

Albert

albertthiel

As I said I have read all, or almost all of Albert's book and I enjoyed it. I also go back to it almost every day to look up things as I just did and I would like to add something to what you said on page 390.

You state that to remove a polyclad clam eating worm would be to use tweezers. But I think a Phillips head screwdriver would be better. It is amazing how similar that worm eating clam looks like a #10 Phillips sheet metal screw. Mother Nature is awesome.

Well thanks Paul for referring to the book ... and glad you enjoyed it ... and on the Flatworms ... not sure whether the #10 would work but hey it's worth a try if you see one in your tank ...

The key though is to make sure not to "break them up" as the individual pieces can regenerate themselves so you need to get the whole worm out, and sometimes a strong suction device will do the job (like those basters/feeder tubes you make) as they do have a strong suction and can easily slurp up the worm I would imagine ...

Great basters ... much better than what is found in supermarkets and the like ...

Albert

Great basters ... much better than what is found in supermarkets and the like ...

I'm am glad you like them. Someone asked me for one and I sent it to him for what it cost me to make. He wanted one 27" long then complained to me that when he lifts it out of the water, water leaks out.

The thing has a 3/8" tube 27" long on it, of course water comes out. He said he didn't think it would leak.

I sent him his money back. Maybe it's me.

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I'm am glad you like them. Someone asked me for one and I sent it to him for what it cost me to make. He wanted one 27" long then complained to me that when he lifts it out of the water, water leaks out.

The thing has a 3/8" tube 27" long on it, of course water comes out. He said he didn't think it would leak.

I sent him his money back. Maybe it's me.

Albert

Not quite sure what he meant by leaking but if one fills a long tube and the bulb with water or whatever, of course it is going to leak out. Note sure either why he would want whatever he sucked up with it to stay inside and decompose over time ...

Odd statement from the buyer ... did he send you the Baster back ?

Mine work just fine and I as I said they are far better than what one finds in supermarkets which of course let go of what was sucked up as well .... that is what they all do and are supposed to do ...

If he did not want it to release what was sucked up he should have put a stopper at the end .. :-0 but I still don't understand why he would want to do that ... Oh well ...

Albert

Hand feeding my purple tang..

Occaisionally when I'm working in the tank, he'll come by and wave his tail at me and shoot some water my way. I'm assuming this is a sign of aggression and not of tender love for the hand that feeds am I right? You can see it around 20 seconds.

He does let me touch him on the sides though.

• Like 3
albertthiel

Hand feeding my purple tang..

Occaisionally when I'm working in the tank, he'll come by and wave his tail at me and shoot some water my way. I'm assuming this is a sign of aggression and not of tender love for the hand that feeds am I right? You can see it around 20 seconds.

He does let me touch him on the sides though.

Don't think it is aggression as his behavior is not like he is attacking your hand but rather looking maybe for food ... and if you can stroke him then that would kind of confirm that ...

Great to see it ... thanks for the Vid. + I lover those Purple Tangs ...

Albert

Not quite sure what he meant by leaking but if one fills a long tube and the bulb with water or whatever, of course it is going to leak out. Note sure either why he would want whatever he sucked up with it to stay inside and decompose over time ...

Odd statement from the buyer ... did he send you the Baster back ?

Mine work just fine and I as I said they are far better than what one finds in supermarkets which of course let go of what was sucked up as well .... that is what they all do and are supposed to do ...

If he did not want it to release what was sucked up he should have put a stopper at the end .. :-0 but I still don't understand why he would want to do that ... Oh well ...

Albert

I didn't ask for the thing back. I am not going to get rich or poor with these things and I never sold any for profit, now I won't even give them away. Of course water is going to come out, it is a hollow tube filled with water, if you don't want water to come out, put a cork in it.

• Like 2

Don't think it is aggression as his behavior is not like he is attacking your hand but rather looking maybe for food ... and if you can stroke him then that would kind of confirm that ...

Great to see it ... thanks for the Vid. + I lover those Purple Tangs ...

Albert

I was thinking it might possibly be a form of tail slapping but he doesn't quite go all the way, don't know.

• Like 1
albertthiel

I didn't ask for the thing back. I am not going to get rich or poor with these things and I never sold any for profit, now I won't even give them away. Of course water is going to come out, it is a hollow tube filled with water, if you don't want water to come out, put a cork in it.

Indeed but as I wrote why would he want to keep the water inside of it ... odd ...

I have not had any issues with mine and LOVE them !

They are great and with all the lengths I have I can take the one that fits the task best ...

Oh well ... some have strange ideas I guess.

Albert

albertthiel

I was thinking it might possibly be a form of tail slapping but he doesn't quite go all the way, don't know.

Usually Tangs will not do so unless really threatened and the Purple is not know to use that spine at the back often, whereas the Yellow is as I have experienced myself.

I don't think your Purple would try to slap that spine against your fingers or hand as you are not really acting with it in an aggressive way so I guess it is just maybe a trying to scare you off by pretending to use the spine but not really doing so but if it eats out of your hand the IMO that would not happen anyway as he seems pretty friendly disposed.

Albert

Hawkflame.jpg

albertthiel

Yeah maybe he is giving me a high five! Since he does let me touch him whenever I put my hand in I guess he is okay with me.

Yep that is what it seems to me too ... looks like a very "buddy" type one .... and generally they are not really aggressive to the point that they flip that tail to hurt with that spine but it sure can hold its own just by looking aggressive but not getting into an actual fight with other fish slamming them with the back end and leaving a gash in them from that spine ...

Yours seems like a real nice Purple Tang that I sure would like to have and put in my tank :-0

Albert

copper2.png

Sea Bed Hunting on 1 Breath - 3 Minutes !!!

Video

At first I thought that was me, but my Speedo fits me tighter, and his hair is a "little" longer.

Albert

• Like 3
albertthiel

Trying to figure out if my perceived browning of the mantle on my clams is from too little or too much light...

It is pretty hard to provide too much light to Clams in captive environments.

Here is an article that deals with it but you will need to scroll down quite a bit to get to Clams ... Hope this helps.

Corals, Clams, and Lightning by Dana Riddle

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/3/aafeature1

Albert

albertthiel

Sea Bed Hunting on 1 Breath - 3 Minutes !!!

Video

At first I thought that was me, but my Speedo fits me tighter, and his hair is a "little" longer.

Albert

Quite amazing as they dive to 65 feet down and on one breath and you see him walking around .... and spear a Tang for food obviously... and he is under water for 3 minutes or so ...

And at first I thought it was you too Paul .. but then I looked and saw he had "hair" ... :-o an a lot of it .... but of course when you were young you probably looked a little like him indeed but I doubt you would have been spear fishing ...

Albert

I was not that skinny when I was born. That is how he is able to walk around on the bottom, fat people float and skinny people sink. Of course I can also hold my breath for 3 minutes, but I can only do it once.

When I started to SCUBA here in NY I bought a spear gun which was a mistake. Our visability is usually a foot or two and the spear gun is 3' long. So I had to pull the speargun back past my head just to see the tip. I figured I would shoot myself so I sold it and went with a CB antenna that I put a wooden handle on to spear flounders.

The only time I was really frightened diving here was when I was in about 30' of water off a famous lighthouse. Here at that depth it is pitch dark and you have to use a light. All of a sudden something came into my light beam and wrapped itself around my head and was smacking me around.

No, it was not a Great White Shark, giant squid, Orca or even Paris Hilton. it was a dam cormorant bird.

Those things are very common and have almost 4' wingspan. They don't swim like a duck but swim underwater with their wings. I had to buy a new wetsuit.

That was here. You can se them on the lighthouse and the remains they leave

ExecutionLighthouse002.jpg

ExecutionLighthouse014.jpg

• Like 3