inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

It looks like this Northern Coral Astrangia Danae pictured here. But I have never seen it with the polyps extended because the water where it is found has zero visability so I only see it out of the water.

http://njscuba.net/biology/sw_plant-like.html

Well it could be that one as that one is non photosynthetic ... but hard to tell of course since we are not sure that it is the one you saw. Now I remember that a few months ago a Hobbyist on here collected something similar off the Jersey coast and wanted to know whether it could be added to his aquarium ... due to the temp difference though it is doubtful as the water temperature where it was found as fairly cold .. around 65 F if I remember correctly ...

The one in the linl would be the same IMO as it would also be coming from quite cold water ..

Albert

Hello, Albert and all. :)

Keeping in line with feeding live foods I am culturing phytoplankton to feed the small organisms in my tank ecosystem. Hopefully this will increase the pod populations, feed the filter feeders and create a food web that will help fish and corals stay happy and healthy.

Is anyone reading this culturing phytoplankton? I would love to share notes.

Here is a brief look at my phytoplankton culture station.

• Like 2
albertthiel

Hello, Albert and all. :)

Keeping in line with feeding live foods I am culturing phytoplankton to feed the small organisms in my tank ecosystem. Hopefully this will increase the pod populations, feed the filter feeders and create a food web that will help fish and corals stay happy and healthy.

Is anyone reading this culturing phytoplankton? I would love to share notes.

Here is a brief look at my phytoplankton culture station.

Nicely done eitallent and thanks for sharing that Video ... Nice set-up you have and it seems that as time goes by you are adding to your collection of useful devices more and more ... Power to you ! Looks great ...

Albert

• Like 1

Les. Albert, I am glad you enjoyed the peek at the phyto station.

Les do you divide your culture or do you start with new starter culture every time?

Thanks.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Here are my phyto/pod culturing vessels. 2 with just phyto and 2 with pyhto and pods.

Morephyto.jpg

Nice Les ... looks like it is all doing real well in the phyto culture and your supply of pods is going to be "a plenty" ....

Albert

albertthiel

Les. Albert, I am glad you enjoyed the peek at the phyto station.

Les do you divide your culture or do you start with new starter culture every time?

Thanks.

Thanks eitallent ... nice set up as I said and thanks for that Video ... I have to go find your Video channel and subscribe as I am not sure I have done so yet and I know you post quite a few Videos.

One of these days, soon hopefully, I am going to try to record some as well ...

Albert

• Like 2

I am looking forward to seeing your videos of your tank, Albert.

In days of violence and chaos occurring so near to us, it is so nice to have a lovely hobby like ours to divert our minds and ease our spirits.

• Like 2

Using Breathable Fish Bags

Video ... watch and listen if you are not familiar with these

Albert

I like those breather bags (although I doubt they work) I would like to put one over my head to see how well they work. :blink:

• Like 2

OK here's what I do.

First the phyto.

I set up a culture of phyto using old tank water diluted to a lower salinity I then add the starter culture of phyto and add a pinch of powdered plant food containing phosphate. The culture is allowed to proliferate on my kitchen window sill that gets the sun. Depending on the time of year it will depend on how quickly the phyto multiplies. During warm summer bright months the phyto grows quickly. The culture darkens greatly until it is ready to use. I draw off a little at a time to feed my tank using my home made baster type tool. when I am down to the last 50ml I raw off the rest, clean and sterilise the vessel and using the 50ml, old tank water and RO start the process all over again.

Pods.

Similar to culturing the phyto in fact, I start with a less dense phyto culture and allow the pods to do their own thing. Eggs from the pods lay in the bottom layer on the vessel floor so you don't want to throw it all out when you clean the pod culturing vessel out. I have a few screening filters to capture the pods which I syphon out. I throw away the phyto water syphoned and add more old tank water with RO.

During winter months the pods all but go into hibernation but burst into life when the weather warms and light increases.

I could produce more by adding heat and light but only having a nano and not wanting to produce gallons of phyto I just leave it to nature. I might try and produce more pods all year round by adding a small heater at some point.

Not sure I have explained the process very well but if you have any questions then feel free to ask.

• Like 2
albertthiel

And another 280 of Books ready to be sent ...

Sending a number of them out today .... the most interesting order came from Ethiopia .. I guess they keep reef tanks there too ... Have not seen any yet but I am going to do a search on the Net and check whether I can find some ...

BooksMore.png

Albert

• Like 3
albertthiel

I am looking forward to seeing your videos of your tank, Albert.

In days of violence and chaos occurring so near to us, it is so nice to have a lovely hobby like ours to divert our minds and ease our spirits.

Indeed .... it is just hard to understand how all this violence keeps going on and on ... what is happening to some people that gets them to commit these horrible acts .... I empathize with all those who are affected by all of those horrible acts

And on the videos ... hopefully soon ...

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I like those breather bags (although I doubt they work) I would like to put one over my head to see how well they work. :blink:

Yes Paul the reviews on them are mixed at best ... works for some fish apparently, but not at all for other species ... and when used they do not put any air in them, just water ...

It will be interesting to see how widely used they become and how the current ones will be improved as there are some pretty negative reviews for shipping SW fish and even Cichlids ...

Albert

• Like 1

Almost 1700 likes Albert. That's the highest here (I think).

So just an update on the eucnid worm in my aquarium. It's making a long burrow against the glass that's now 8" long. It's interesting to watch at night. I'll get some pics tonight.

• Like 3
albertthiel

So just an update on the eucnid worm in my aquarium. It's making a long burrow against the glass that's now 8" long. It's interesting to watch at night. I'll get some pics tonight.

Thanks asid61 and yes that is a gratifying number but I do not think that it is the highest ... Kat has a "lot" more ... and others may too, I have not really looked at the #'s that often ... but thanks for the mention.

And on your Eunice "buddy" ... yes it would be nice to see some pics indeed ... they are some real interesting creatures, but then they can do some damage too but apparently you have not had any issues with yours ...

I had a large regular bristleworm in my 20 but it seems to have disappeared as I have not seen it for some time and I have looked at night late to see whether I could spot him ... so no idea what happened to him ... and he is not roaming around in my living room either so :-o who knows what happened to him ... not that I am concerned about it ...

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your BIG one later today ... Thanks

Albert

albertthiel

Joe's Red Sea Max Reef Tank ... Interesting story and video as the owner never even had a FW tank and went Reef from the start for his first tank ....

Link :

Albert

albertthiel

Reefs . com review the Sea Swirl from Aquarium Currents ...

Looks pretty interesting indeed to create real random current in your tank ... and it comes with many extra parts and pieces allowing you to really tailor the flow how you want it to be.

Link :

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2013/04/aquarium-currents-sea-swirl-review.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=aquarium-currents-sea-swirl-review

Albert

Reefs . com review the Sea Swirl from Aquarium Currents ...

Looks pretty interesting indeed to create real random current in your tank ... and it comes with many extra parts and pieces allowing you to really tailor the flow how you want it to be.

Link :

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2013/04/aquarium-currents-sea-swirl-review.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=aquarium-currents-sea-swirl-review

Albert

Isn't that a lot like the Hydor FLO rotating thing?

• Like 1
albertthiel

Isn't that a lot like the Hydor FLO rotating thing?

Yes kind of similar but this one seems to have a wider spread of the water of up to a 90 degree swing based on what I read and it has a large number of fittings that can be used to tailor the flow which the other one does not have as far as I know

Albert

• Like 1

I carefully printed a zero on my monitor screen in magic marker right after my Likes number so it adds 100 to whatever the number is. This way I don't have to check it as I know it is great.

That green water and rotifers looks like my house did manytimes when I used to raise fish. It brings back memories and a lot of hard work. Looks great.

• Like 1

I carefully printed a zero on my monitor screen in magic marker right after my Likes number so it adds 100 to whatever the number is. This way I don't have to check it as I know it is great.

That green water and rotifers looks like my house did manytimes when I used to raise fish. It brings back memories and a lot of hard work. Looks great.

Paul, The green water (phyto) is as easy or as hard as you want to make it. In my case I like easy some others like hard however the results are the same in most cases IME. ;)

Some like slip on shoes others with trillions of laces. :D

• Like 2