Cultivated Reef

[ Nuvo16 ] What Else do I need for equipment?

KB90

I am about to order my first tank and equipment, and I have settled on the Innovative Marine nuvo 16, and will be building a reef tank. But before I order I have some questions. I am not exactly sure what else I will need for equipment besides what comes in the package? What neccesities do I need? and what luxuries (extras that will make life easier) would you suggest to pair with this AIO tank?

Thanks, Kyle.

You'll need things that don't come with it if you don't already have them:

• heater
  • thermometer
  • something to measure salinity
  • saltwater test kit
  • stand or something else to put it on

For the Nuvo 16, I'd eventually replace the stock media baskets. They are cheaply made and I don't like the sponges. Take a look at StevieT's site (http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Innovative-Marine_c59.htm) for one replacement option. I have his and like it. I much prefer to run Purigen and Chemi Pure, which is a tried and true combination.

The lights are nice and work well. On my 8 gallon, I swapped to a PAR30 because I had one, but there was nothing wrong with the stock light for the LPS and softies I have.

With the semi-open top, you may find you have a good bit of evaporation for such a small tank, depending on where you live. Was worth it for me to get an auto top off unit. Not necessary, just handy.

You'll need things that don't come with it if you don't already have them:

• heater
  • thermometer
  • something to measure salinity
  • saltwater test kit
  • stand or something else to put it on

For the Nuvo 16, I'd eventually replace the stock media baskets. They are cheaply made and I don't like the sponges. Take a look at StevieT's site (http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Innovative-Marine_c59.htm) for one replacement option. I have his and like it. I much prefer to run Purigen and Chemi Pure, which is a tried and true combination.

The lights are nice and work well. On my 8 gallon, I swapped to a PAR30 because I had one, but there was nothing wrong with the stock light for the LPS and softies I have.

With the semi-open top, you may find you have a good bit of evaporation for such a small tank, depending on where you live. Was worth it for me to get an auto top off unit. Not necessary, just handy.

Thanks!

That is exactly what I was looking for.

I have seen mention of skimmers being modded to fit in this tank. Is that something I should be looking at as well?

Powerhead??

/

I was under the impression I would not need a powerhead with the use of two spinstream nozzles (innovative marine add on) in this tank?

Please correct me if I'm wrong though!

You could certainly wait and see on the powerhead. Probably not necessary unless you need high flow or turn out to have a dead spot you want to address.

Similar for a skimmer I think. You might decide it would be helpful based on what you Decide to keep and how much and often you feed. Certainly not a necessity for eveyone, though. For me, Purigen, Chemi Pure and weekly water changes are sufficient for clear water and healthy livestock.

Archived