Cultivated Reef

Optimal place for heater in sump

jT415Gz

I just setup the eshopps R-100 but not so sure the optimal placement for my heater. Right now it is in the fuge area but I'd rather have it in the return chamber. Is this okay and optimal? Media bags okay in return area too? (Clear FX Pro and Carbon)

Return chamber on right side

7369793440_b7aab88fcb.jpg

7331962410_fa1b5b2607.jpg

albertthiel
I just setup the eshopps R-100 but not so sure the optimal placement for my heater. Right now it is in the fuge area but I'd rather have it in the return chamber. Is this okay and optimal? Media bags okay in return area too? (Clear FX Pro and Carbon)

Return chamber on right side

7369793440_b7aab88fcb.jpg

7331962410_fa1b5b2607.jpg

I would suggest in any area where there is good water circulation so it gets a new water supply running by it all the time

Albert

New to all the terminologies, but learning quick.

So, the return chamber would be the first chamber where the drain comes into, correct?

I'll see if I can fit the the heater in with the skimmer and see how fast heat builds up in the display.

I have two digital thermometers (1 for display and 1 for sump) to track.

Also, how do I estimate the necessary heater size? By display volume, sump volume or both combined?

And where do you guys keep your media bags inside the sump for best effectiveness?

And and, in regards to keeping proper salinity/specific gravity levels, again do I account for both display and sump volume when adding salt?

Thanks

HecticDialectics

I seriously doubt you'll get any significant difference wherever you put it in your sump as long as you don't do something silly like bury it under a bunch of rock where it'll get zero flow... Heat is heat. Whether the flow around the heater is slow or fast, the net increase of heat in the total tank volume will be the same. As long as there's some flow, you'll be fine. I don't see any spots in your sump where the water wouldnt have any flow at all, so put it wherever you want.

HecticDialectics

I think most people refer to the return chamber as the chamber with the pump that returns the water to the display. I do at least...

You determine heater size by total water volume as well as figuring in environmental factors - i.e. a room that's typically quite a bit below or above tank temperatures.

Media bags do best where water can flow through them.

Re your salt question: it will help you a lot to remember that your tank is all connected. You have to account for the total water volume in everything you do.

albertthiel
New to all the terminologies, but learning quick.

So, the return chamber would be the first chamber where the drain comes into, correct?

I'll see if I can fit the the heater in with the skimmer and see how fast heat builds up in the display.

I have two digital thermometers (1 for display and 1 for sump) to track.

Also, how do I estimate the necessary heater size? By display volume, sump volume or both combined?

And where do you guys keep your media bags inside the sump for best effectiveness?

And and, in regards to keeping proper salinity/specific gravity levels, again do I account for both display and sump volume when adding salt?

Thanks

You can IMO put it anywhere you want ... as long as water flows by it and does not stagnate in that area as that would be bad for the heater and would not benefit the temp of the tank a lot either. On the other hand, I think that because of the lights being used and the heat from other devices that is transmitted to the water, the heater is not all that major a component any longer as the temp of reef tanks is usually pretty high anyway especially during the day, but the heater may be needed during the night so the overall temp does not go down too much. Hope this and the other posts help

Albert

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

Well, I ended up picking up a '2 month' old 125w eheim (paid $20 :D) which is 12.2" tall with water level line at 11" or so. I started to do fitment tests in all chambers of the sump and wanted to have it in a chamber where water level stays put most consistently, which looked to be both skimmer and fuge chambers. The return chamber (final) is where I see most of the evap happening at as I have yet to install the Tunze ATO. Both chambers with the best water level consistency with the first chamber barely covering the water level line of the heater (diagonally placed heater) and with the fuge area probably being the best location as I can fully submerge it almost horizontally but yet still diagonally at a lower angle (30 degree or so angle). Plus, with it being in the fuge it's much easier to access and adjust/recalibrate when the time comes. The skimmer compartment is jammed packed as is and I literally would have to remove the drain line from the sock holder, then the sock holder in order to get to the heater. So for not it's staying in the fuge right above the slot where water enters the fuge (best circulation point I could find) and seems to be holding @ 77-77.5-77,9 in both sump and display ( have x2 temp. probes) which is more accurate then my previous single 75w eheim.

Another question since I mentioned the Tunze ATO: Where do you guys end up putting the sensors and stuff in the sump?

Again, I appreciate all the input, it helps out beginners like myself a whole lot which makes N-R so valuable to have!

HecticDialectics

As you've already recognized, the best place to put the ATO sensors is in the return chamber, because its where the evaporation is track-able. I put the sensors to where the return chamber stays about 1/2" below that last baffle.

Archived