Top Shelf Aquatics

How to get tank breed ocelaris clowns to host anemone?

Reefmaster1996

Reefmaster1996

Sorry this was shot off a iPad 2 and the lighting wasnt ideal.

I might start showering more than once a day to see what else happens.Maybe next time they will be breeding!

I might start showering more than once a day to see what else happens.Maybe next time they will be breeding!

Also thanks to the clowns stimulating the anemone, it seems as if the anemone is looking a lot better than before also I had a bit of a ph issue but a bit of Brightwell aquatics reef code b fixed the problem and the anemone is looking better than ever!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben
Also thanks to the clowns stimulating the anemone, it seems as if the anemone is looking a lot better than before also I had a bit of a ph issue but a bit of Brightwell aquatics reef code b fixed the problem and the anemone is looking better than ever!

Anemones definitely do seem to perk up whenever they are hosting something (mine has shriveled up since I removed my friends' clownfish from the system, I need to get a pair of my own soon).

And just a tip, never dose anything because you think your pH is where it shouldn't be. It's called "chasing pH" because your pH level will fluctuate no matter what you do, and dosing chemicals and additives to bring it to the "correct" reading will lead to the death of your livestock.

Reefmaster1996
Anemones definitely do seem to perk up whenever they are hosting something (mine has shriveled up since I removed my friends' clownfish from the system, I need to get a pair of my own soon).

And just a tip, never dose anything because you think your pH is where it shouldn't be. It's called "chasing pH" because your pH level will fluctuate no matter what you do, and dosing chemicals and additives to bring it to the "correct" reading will lead to the death of your livestock.

I didn't think it was low, it tested at 8.0 at the end of the day so it needed a little help and is now at 8.2-8.3 .

jedimasterben
I didn't think it was low, it tested at 8.0 at the end of the day so it needed a little help and is now at 8.2-8.3 .

8.0 is not low. My tank rarely hits 8.0, stays around 7.8.

pH is a factor of dissolved oxygen and carbon dioxide. More oxygen = higher pH, more carbon dioxide = lower pH. Your alkalinity level is a measure of carbonates in the water and if left at 8-11dKH, your pH will be fine, no matter what your measurement is.

Again, do not worry about your pH or try to change it through dosing. It will come naturally as long as your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels are within range, and your system will have balance.

albertthiel

Sorry this was shot off a iPad 2 and the lighting wasnt ideal.

A bit dark but yes I can see the clown and the anemone ... and it looks like the clown is pretty active going in and out ... looks good and promising indeed

Albert

8.0 is not low. My tank rarely hits 8.0, stays around 7.8.

pH is a factor of dissolved oxygen and carbon dioxide. More oxygen = higher pH, more carbon dioxide = lower pH. Your alkalinity level is a measure of carbonates in the water and if left at 8-11dKH, your pH will be fine, no matter what your measurement is.

Again, do not worry about your pH or try to change it through dosing. It will come naturally as long as your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels are within range, and your system will have balance.

Yes that is how I feel about it as well and less tinkering by adding this and then that and then something else just ends up IMO complicating it all ...

Good point made indeed and pH changes all the time anyway depending on what time of day and what time of night and how may photosynthesizing pop is in the tank

Albert

And it will keep fluctuating ... never really stays stable all day and night

Albert

Reefmaster1996
A bit dark but yes I can see the clown and the anemone ... and it looks like the clown is pretty active going in and out ... looks good and promising indeed

Albert

Yes that is how I feel about it as well and less tinkering by adding this and then that and then something else just ends up IMO complicating it all ...

Good point made indeed and pH changes all the time anyway depending on what time of day and what time of night and how may photosynthesizing pop is in the tank

Albert

And it will keep fluctuating ... never really stays stable all day and night

Albert

Yeah guys I know the whole relation to ph what I need to test is my alkalinity magnissium etc thanks for the help.

albertthiel
Yeah guys I know the whole relation to ph what I need to test is my alkalinity magnissium etc thanks for the help.

Yes and I recommend that you get some high quality tests to do so ... those levels are all important as you know so the more accurate your measurements are the better

Albert

Reefmaster1996
Yes and I recommend that you get some high quality tests to do so ... those levels are all important as you know so the more accurate your measurements are the better

Albert

Yeah I'll probably get a red sea or API

albertthiel
Yeah I'll probably get a red sea or API

The better the test kit the more accurate the result the easier it is to manage your aquarium. have you checked into the Salifert ones ? Hach used to make some real good ones as well

Albert

Reefmaster1996
The better the test kit the more accurate the result the easier it is to manage your aquarium. have you checked into the Salifert ones ? Hach used to make some real good ones as well

Albert

No I a looking into them as I type this thanks.

They are expensive for me right now so I will go with API, is red sea better?

albertthiel

They are expensive for me right now so I will go with API, is red sea better?

You may want to ask an LFS to test it for you as that may be less expensive ... that is if you do not want to buy test kits. Whether one is better than the other I cannot say ... its often a matter of personal preference and what you have used in the past that you were comfortable with ... Staying with the same one is usually best as it gives better comparison abilities (apples to apples) as changing from one to another may not give you that comparison ability or not as good a one IME

Albert

Reefmaster1996
You may want to ask an LFS to test it for you as that may be less expensive ... that is if you do not want to buy test kits. Whether one is better than the other I cannot say ... its often a matter of personal preference and what you have used in the past that you were comfortable with ... Staying with the same one is usually best as it gives better comparison abilities (apples to apples) as changing from one to another may not give you that comparison ability or not as good a one IME

Albert

I'm sticking with API which is what all my local LFS use.

Reefmaster1996
I'm sticking with API which is what all my local LFS use.

Unfortunately the anemone isnt looking to good, it is not fully inflated and it is pooping out white stringy stuff. He has been in the tank for only a week and has eaten 3 silversides, so I hope it's just waste, all params are great, I just have to check calcium,alk,and magnesium. As of today ph is 8.2,ammonia 0,nitrite0, nitrate 0, also I did a 2 gallon water change on Friday as I do every week. Any thoughts. Also this is the second day the anemone has been like this also it doesn't want to stick to the rocks also the mouth is not gaping open, it is pretty closed up but not puckered. Any ideas guys?

albertthiel
Unfortunately the anemone isnt looking to good, it is not fully inflated and it is pooping out white stringy stuff. He has been in the tank for only a week and has eaten 3 silversides, so I hope it's just waste, all params are great, I just have to check calcium,alk,and magnesium. As of today ph is 8.2,ammonia 0,nitrite0, nitrate 0, also I did a 2 gallon water change on Friday as I do every week. Any thoughts. Also this is the second day the anemone has been like this also it doesn't want to stick to the rocks also the mouth is not gaping open, it is pretty closed up but not puckered. Any ideas guys?

Not a good sign IMO but I cannot be sure but I would do some large water changes making sure all params are as they should be (the water you use) and see what happens then

What kind of anemone is it ?

Albert

Reefmaster1996
Not a good sign IMO but I cannot be sure but I would do some large water changes making sure all params are as they should be (the water you use) and see what happens then

What kind of anemone is it ?

Albert

It's a Gbta, I think it was just pooping, but I will double check all params at LFS tommorrow. It seems to be doing slightly better,the mouth is closed and the tentacles aren't shriveled, they never were though, they are just really small. Fingers crossed!I don't want to do large water change because I don't want to stress it out with large fluctuations , I just did one on Friday which is around when it started doing this.

albertthiel
It's a Gbta, I think it was just pooping, but I will double check all params at LFS tommorrow. It seems to be doing slightly better,the mouth is closed and the tentacles aren't shriveled, they never were though, they are just really small. Fingers crossed!I don't want to do large water change because I don't want to stress it out with large fluctuations , I just did one on Friday which is around when it started doing this.

Well it sounds like gbta is doing better. IME it's always good to dble check the params of the water used for W C just to be on the safe side and not to stress any life forms Hopefully tomorrow all will be OK

Reefmaster1996
Well it sounds like gbta is doing better. IME it's always good to dble check the params of the water used for W C just to be on the safe side and not to stress any life forms Hopefully tomorrow all will be OK

I use reverse osmosis water from Walmart it is used for drinking and I have never had a problem with it since I started my reef 8 months ago.Fingers crossed!

albertthiel
I use reverse osmosis water from Walmart it is used for drinking and I have never had a problem with it since I started my reef 8 months ago.Fingers crossed!

Nothing wrong with that water then ... maybe just a reaction the GBTA got when you did that previous water change ... let us know how it does today... hopefully it will be back to normal after whatever happened that caused it to deflate is gone ...

Albert

Reefmaster1996
Nothing wrong with that water then ... maybe just a reaction the GBTA got when you did that previous water change ... let us know how it does today... hopefully it will be back to normal after whatever happened that caused it to deflate is gone ...

Albert

Just got back from the LFS the water is perfect, my friend, the owner said it is probably just expelling water since I did feed it three good sized silversides in a week so he said it should be fine and that they some time take a couple days to finish excreting waste and then go back to normal. The anemone looks the same as yesterday and has excreted whit stringy waste from its mouth.

albertthiel
Just got back from the LFS the water is perfect, my friend, the owner said it is probably just expelling water since I did feed it three good sized silversides in a week so he said it should be fine and that they some time take a couple days to finish excreting waste and then go back to normal. The anemone looks the same as yesterday and has excreted whit stringy waste from its mouth.

Maybe you overfed and the anemone is now slowly ejecting indigestible material from what you gave ... hopefully all will be OK in a day or two ...

Reefmaster1996
Maybe you overfed and the anemone is now slowly ejecting indigestible material from what you gave ... hopefully all will be OK in a day or two ...

I hope so too.

Reefmaster1996
I hope so too.

Update on the anemone, after doing another 2 gallon water change, the anemone has starting to hang onto the rock again and has inflated its base, but the tentacles are really small and practically disinflated, this may be do to the fact that the lights are off, we will se tommorrow. Finger crossed!

albertthiel
Update on the anemone, after doing another 2 gallon water change, the anemone has starting to hang onto the rock again and has inflated its base, but the tentacles are really small and practically disinflated, this may be do to the fact that the lights are off, we will se tommorrow. Finger crossed!

Well hopefully it will do better today ...

Does your deflated anemone look anything like these

anemonedeflated.png

anemonedeflated2.png

anemonedeflated3.png

If yours does not look that bad then chances are IMO good that all will be ok very shortly

Albert

-----------------------------------

Ask Questions on the Albert Thiel Thread

jedimasterben
anemonedeflated.png

My sebae anemone has looked like this off and on for the past couple of weeks (although not to that extent, the tentacles are at least partially inflated and upright), but it is normal for mine to do this occasionally - I just moved it to a new tank, my lights changed, I took out the clownfish that lived in it, etc. All kinds of changes in a short amount of time, but it has always bounced back in the past, and that was when it was still kinda bleached. Now it is packed full of zooxanthellae. :)

albertthiel
My sebae anemone has looked like this off and on for the past couple of weeks (although not to that extent, the tentacles are at least partially inflated and upright), but it is normal for mine to do this occasionally - I just moved it to a new tank, my lights changed, I took out the clownfish that lived in it, etc. All kinds of changes in a short amount of time, but it has always bounced back in the past, and that was when it was still kinda bleached. Now it is packed full of zooxanthellae. :)

A lot of changes in a short period of time would indeed create reactions you may not expect but if the anemone has been looking sort of like that for weeks then I wonder if you need to figure out whether the lighting and the water flow are affecting it ... is it feeing well ?

If it packed with zooxanthellae then that would indicate that the light is probably the right one although one cannot be sure .. there must be something else going on for it not to get back to its normal look.

Hopefully this will not last much longer

Albert

Archived