inTank Media Baskets

How to get tank breed ocelaris clowns to host anemone?

Reefmaster1996

Reefmaster1996
Sounds good to me but not sure the pic did it ... clowns will go to anemones by instinct and I don't think the picture did it but hey ... they are where you wanted them so that is the main thing

Signing off

Albert

Yeah I didn't think the pics would help but I guessed they reinforced the main idea especially since these are tank raised and aren't used to the idea of hosting anemones yet have the instinct to host something be it a rock, heater pump etc.so I think it helped a bit if you know what I mean.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel

Where did idea of using a pic originate if I may ask?

Albert

Yeah I didn't think the pics would help but I guessed they reinforced the main idea especially since these are tank raised and aren't used to the idea of hosting anemones yet have the instinct to host something be it a rock, heater pump etc.so I think it helped a bit if you know what I mean.
Reefmaster1996
Where did idea of using a pic originate if I may ask?

Albert

Saw it online! Forums like reef central, but alone I think it would never cause the clowns to host , I have tried it to no results .

albertthiel

Not sure who had success with that method ... and have not seen anyone reports of success using it but for you I guess you achieved the end result so that is what counts ...

How are they doing today ?

Albert

Saw it online! Forums like reef central, but alone I think it would never cause the clowns to host , I have tried it to no results .
Reefmaster1996
Not sure who had success with that method ... and have not seen anyone reports of success using it but for you I guess you achieved the end result so that is what counts ...

How are they doing today ?

Albert

Good they are acting the same as yesterday, slowly poking at the anemone and slowly spending more time near it.It will probably be a week before they fully host it.

jedimasterben
Good they are acting the same as yesterday, slowly poking at the anemone and slowly spending more time near it.It will probably be a week before they fully host it.

You don't want them to rush it. Remember that they need to build up their immunity to the anemone's stings in small doses! :)

Reefmaster1996
You don't want them to rush it. Remember that they need to build up their immunity to the anemone's stings in small doses! :)

Yep, im letting nature take its course from here.

Do you happen to know where I can get a breeding pair of banghai cardinal fish here in Florida jedimaster?

jedimasterben

Do you happen to know where I can get a breeding pair of banghai cardinal fish here in Florida jedimaster?

I'm honestly not sure of any stores in my area that sell them (Treasure coast). Plenty of stores sell them, but I've never seen a breeding pair for sale.

Reefmaster1996
I'm honestly not sure of any stores in my area that sell them (Treasure coast). Plenty of stores sell them, but I've never seen a breeding pair for sale.

Thanks, me neither, I want to breed them especially because of how endangered they are, I don't want to see any species go extinct just because of ignorance, they are so easy to breed.

jedimasterben
Thanks, me neither, I want to breed them especially because of how endangered they are, I don't want to see any species go extinct just because of ignorance, they are so easy to breed.

Altolamprologous has been trying to breed them for a while now, but she isn't having any luck. :(

albertthiel

Yes it will take time and check the other messages stating what needs to happen about building up immunity as that is indeed what has to happen

Patience will do it for you :)

Albert

Not sure if anyone sells breeding pair as this is a difficult fish to breed. I seem to remember that Martin Moe tried it but not sure he was successful ...

Note that if you get too that they act like Beta ... two males will fight.

Albert

Reefmaster1996
Yes it will take time and check the other messages stating what needs to happen about building up immunity as that is indeed what has to happen

Patience will do it for you :)

Albert

Not sure if anyone sells breeding pair as this is a difficult fish to breed. I seem to remember that Martin Moe tried it but not sure he was successful ...

Note that if you get too that they act like Beta ... two males will fight.

Albert

Thanks , patience is key in this hobby, it is like everyday life, everything takes time ,also an update-the female clown is showing more interest than before in the anemone than before so far so good!Also how long should it take for thier immunity to form?

jedimasterben
Thanks , patience is key in this hobby, it is like everyday life, everything takes time ,also an update-the female clown is showing more interest than before in the anemone than before so far so good!Also how long should it take for thier immunity to form?

the first two clowns I had were wild caught. they went into the anemone 30 minutes after it was placed in the tank. after I lost one, a friend had me hold his clown, his was tank-bred, and it took about a day to find it and make it its permanent residence. It will just depend on the clown.

albertthiel

Although I am sure everyone who gets clowns and has an anemone would like for it to happen just about instantaneously ... it just does not work that way ... it can take time ... some clowns will develop the immunity rapidly by quickly rubbing themselves against the tentacles of the anemone and then others will take longer so I do not think there is a definitive answer ... unfortunately ...

Albert

the first two clowns I had were wild caught. they went into the anemone 30 minutes after it was placed in the tank. after I lost one, a friend had me hold his clown, his was tank-bred, and it took about a day to find it and make it its permanent residence. It will just depend on the clown.
jedimasterben
Although I am sure everyone who gets clowns and has an anemone would like for it to happen just about instantaneously ... it just does not work that way ... it can take time ... some clowns will develop the immunity rapidly by quickly rubbing themselves against the tentacles of the anemone and then others will take longer so I do not think there is a definitive answer ... unfortunately ...

Albert

All depends on the clown. And even if they are "quick hosters", doesn't mean they'll pick the anemone, my friend had a pair of clowns ignore an anemone and host a powerhead :lol:

Reefmaster1996
All depends on the clown. And even if they are "quick hosters", doesn't mean they'll pick the anemone, my friend had a pair of clowns ignore an anemone and host a powerhead :lol:

The female is now hosting the anemone on and off since the actinics turned on at 5 also she seems to be building a immunity as she rubs on the tentacles quickly

albertthiel

That sounds like it ... good sign ... hopefully the clown will build up the immunity needed real soon and will then start adopting the anemone although IME it really is the reverse, the anemone adopts the clown but whichever way you look at it they co-habitate

Albert

The female is now hosting the anemone on and off since the actinics turned on at 5 also she seems to be building a immunity as she rubs on the tentacles quickly
Reefmaster1996
That sounds like it ... good sign ... hopefully the clown will build up the immunity needed real soon and will then start adopting the anemone although IME it really is the reverse, the anemone adopts the clown but whichever way you look at it they co-habitate

Albert

The female is seeming to be building an immunity to the anemones sting as she hovers over it and lightly touches it every once in a while, she seems to be on the road to hosting my anemone, fingers crossed!

albertthiel

Good thought ... yes keep them crossed and add some patience to it :)

Albert

The female is seeming to be building an immunity to the anemones sting as she hovers over it and lightly touches it every once in a while, she seems to be on the road to hosting my anemone, fingers crossed!
Reefmaster1996
Good thought ... yes keep them crossed and add some patience to it :)

Albert

Great news guys after the lights turned off I went and took shower I got back and replied some email and when I check on the tank, my beautiful FEMale clown Eve is snuggled up and hosting my green bubble tip anemone two days after I isolated her boyfriend Adam , her and the anemone in a small bucket, she is really liking the anemone. Also the anemone moved to where the sleep while I was gone and moved back to the front the lights where all off and it was totally dark so the clowns went to sleep where they always do and the anemone was thier when it moved to the front the eve started to host the anemone. Completely amazing the anemone has been in the tank for five days this method worked for me and I hope it works for you if you have any questions on how I did it feel free to ask also note that this are tank breed clowns. There is a myth that says that tank breed clowns won't host I have concluded that that is false and with a little encouragement and some time tank breed clowns will naturally use tier instinct to host an anemone not another inanimate object. I also had one large picture in the tank so I pretty much utilized every method possible. I can't believe they are hosting so fast this the single reason why I joined this hobby, to have something as beautiful as this in my room is a real blessing. CHECK OIT EVE HOSTING BY SEARCHING MY USERNAME Luisparedes13 on YouTube it is the latest video I made about 15 minutes ago

jedimasterben
Great news guys after the lights turned off I went and took shower I got back and replied some email and when I check on the tank, my beautiful FEMale clown Eve is snuggled up and hosting my green bubble tip anemone two days after I isolated her boyfriend Adam , her and the anemone in a small bucket, she is really liking the anemone. Also the anemone moved to where the sleep while I was gone and moved back to the front the lights where all off and it was totally dark so the clowns went to sleep where they always do and the anemone was thier when it moved to the front the eve started to host the anemone. Completely amazing the anemone has been in the tank for five days this method worked for me and I hope it works for you if you have any questions on how I did it feel free to ask also note that this are tank breed clowns. There is a myth that says that tank breed clowns won't host I have concluded that that is false and with a little encouragement and some time tank breed clowns will naturally use tier instinct to host an anemone not another inanimate object. I also had one large picture in the tank so I pretty much utilized every method possible. I can't believe they are hosting so fast this the single reason why I joined this hobby, to have something as beautiful as this in my room is a real blessing. CHECK OIT EVE HOSTING BY SEARCHING MY USERNAME Luisparedes13 on YouTube it is the latest video I made about 15 minutes ago

You can post a link.

Reefmaster1996
You can post a link.

For some reason it has not fully uploaded yet, i should be able to give you a link in about 10-20 minutes sorry for the inconvenience. I am working on it.

Reefmaster1996
For some reason it has not fully uploaded yet, i should be able to give you a link in about 10-20 minutes sorry for the inconvenience. I am working on it.

For some reason it shows up on my YouTube app but not on YouTube online directly on the internet?

For some reason it shows up on my YouTube app but not on YouTube online directly on the internet?

Signing off for the night link will be up early tommorrow morning!

albertthiel
You can post a link.

Great story indeed ... any pics ... ? or a link to a series of them ? Would be nice to see I think. Good for you that it worked out that way ...

See what a shower does for you :) :)

Albert

Reefmaster1996

Signing off for the night link will be up early tommorrow morning!

Sorry this was shot off a iPad 2 and the lighting wasnt ideal.

Archived