Top Shelf Aquatics

How to get tank breed ocelaris clowns to host anemone?

Reefmaster1996

Reefmaster1996

Okay so yesterday I got a GBA (green bubble tip anemone) I have a young tank raised Ocelaris clownfish pair in my 20 gallon long. I put the anemone where they usually sleep without any result they don't even go to the side of the tank where the anemone is. What else can I try without moving the clowns out of the tank or disturbing them?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People gave coaxed them by taping a picture of a clown hosting an anenome before, but you can not make them host an anenome. If they aren't interested, they aren't interested.

AnthemForLiving

You can put them in a plastic pasta strainer with the anemone. The diameter of the strainer should be about the size of the opening in the tank. I don't know if I explained it well so here is a video. \

But really it has only been one day. Give them some time to figure it out on their own so you don't have to handle the fish or the nem too much. If that doesn't work try the pasta strainer trick.

I tried the picture thing to no avail, and I gave up on getting my clowns (both males so far) to host in my haddoni anemone. I got back from vacation yesterday, more than 4 months after their introduction, and one of the clowns is hosting in it.

They do their own thing.

Reefmaster1996
I tried the picture thing to no avail, and I gave up on getting my clowns (both males so far) to host in my haddoni anemone. I got back from vacation yesterday, more than 4 months after their introduction, and one of the clowns is hosting in it.

They do their own thing.

Anemone has moved under a rock and pooped, I hope it moves back to its old spot, is it likly?

anemones hide when first aclimated but it should come out once it finds a suitable spot. try feeding it when its in a spot where you want it and if your lucky itll decide that thats a good home and will stay there.

Reefmaster1996
anemones hide when first aclimated but it should come out once it finds a suitable spot. try feeding it when its in a spot where you want it and if your lucky itll decide that thats a good home and will stay there.

Does it matter if I feed it while it was hiding?

Does it matter if I feed it while it was hiding?

Leave it be for a while. Feeding it might make it happy and decide not to come out. Maybe you were even over feeding and it moved.

Reefmaster1996
Leave it be for a while. Feeding it might make it happy and decide not to come out. Maybe you were even over feeding and it moved.

I covered the tank with pictures of clownfish hosting anemones fingers crossed!

AnthemForLiving

Yeah, I have had my anemone for exactly one week and I found my little clownfish, Milo, curled up in there this morning.

I would just let love happen.

Just like everything else in this hobby time is a key factor. You've had the BTA for 3 days, its not an instaneous thing. Give it a few weeks if nothings happened by then, then start let the questions fly

albertthiel

It takes time .... first the anemone has to find the spot where it wants to settle down, and that can take a while (they sometimes like to move around in the beginning) and next the clowns have to start getting interested in the anemone and that takes time too.

Since it's been 1 day or a little more I guess all I can recommend at this point is patience with a big P :)

Will it happen? No one can tell ... but more than likely it will ... just give it some time and see what happens. Feed the anemone with a baster and maybe the clowns will be drawn to the food as well and if you repeat that they may eventually just hand around in that same spot by the anemone for longer and longer times until the settle in ... but there is no guarantee.

Just FWIW

Albert

Okay so yesterday I got a GBA (green bubble tip anemone) I have a young tank raised Ocelaris clownfish pair in my 20 gallon long. I put the anemone where they usually sleep without any result they don't even go to the side of the tank where the anemone is. What else can I try without moving the clowns out of the tank or disturbing them?
Reefmaster1996
It takes time .... first the anemone has to find the spot where it wants to settle down, and that can take a while (they sometimes like to move around in the beginning) and next the clowns have to start getting interested in the anemone and that takes time too.

Since it's been 1 day or a little more I guess all I can recommend at this point is patience with a big P :)

Will it happen? No one can tell ... but more than likely it will ... just give it some time and see what happens. Feed the anemone with a baster and maybe the clowns will be drawn to the food as well and if you repeat that they may eventually just hand around in that same spot by the anemone for longer and longer times until the settle in ... but there is no guarantee.

Just FWIW

Albert

Thanks for the tip guys I feed the anemone a silverside this morning because it picked its spot in the tank and it is where I want it to be I then put the anemone in a small bucket, on it's rock and put the clowns in thier too, they are seeming to get attached to it it's been about 8 minutes so far I have a air stone to maintain ph but I will return them in arround 10 to 15 minutes I hope this works! Also I took down the pictures because they had no affect at all.

jedimasterben
Anemone has moved under a rock and pooped, I hope it moves back to its old spot, is it likly?

If the anemone moves somewhere, it does not like where it was at and is looking for a new home.

Thanks for the tip guys I feed the anemone a silverside this morning because it picked its spot in the tank and it is where I want it to be I then put the anemone in a small bucket, on it's rock and put the clowns in thier too, they are seeming to get attached to it it's been about 8 minutes so far I have a air stone to maintain ph but I will return them in arround 10 to 15 minutes I hope this works! Also I took down the pictures because they had no affect at all.

Don't move it! All you're going to accomplish is stressing the anemone out, and they don't need out help! He will most likely move again now that you have disturbed it.

Reefmaster1996
If the anemone moves somewhere, it does not like where it was at and is looking for a new home.

Don't move it! All you're going to accomplish is stressing the anemone out, and they don't need out help! He will most likely move again now that you have disturbed it.

Clowns are hosting the anemone in the bucket, the anemone doesn't seem to stressed , the mouth is closed, tentacles are bubbly and it is inflated.

Clowns are hosting the anemone in the bucket, the anemone doesn't seem to stressed , the mouth is closed, tentacles are bubbly and it is inflated.

sounds good. Now its picture time. ;)

Reefmaster1996
sounds good. Now its picture time. ;)

I do have one large picture on the wall closets to the anemone and the male clown Adam has touched the anemone multiple times with his head so far my fingers are crossed!

albertthiel

That may or may not work but it is sure worth a try IMO ....

Suggestion : do not move that anemone around too much as it will get more and more stressed. Put it in the aquarium and let it find its "spot" and eventually the clowns will find the anemone if it is the kind that they go for as not all clowns go for all anemones ... good luck

Albert

Reefmaster1996
That may or may not work but it is sure worth a try IMO ....

Suggestion : do not move that anemone around too much as it will get more and more stressed. Put it in the aquarium and let it find its "spot" and eventually the clowns will find the anemone if it is the kind that they go for as not all clowns go for all anemones ... good luck

Albert

The anemone is a Gbta and the clowns a re slowly getting attached to it, it is settled and I have fed it two silversides today, so far so good!

albertthiel

Still in the bucket or now in the aquarium ?

Albert

The anemone is a Gbta and the clowns a re slowly getting attached to it, it is settled and I have fed it two silversides today, so far so good!
Reefmaster1996
Still in the bucket or now in the aquarium ?

Albert

Oh no I returned them to the tank a while ago they are slowly getting used to the whole hosting anemone thing.

albertthiel

That is fast I would say as it can take a lot longer than that for clowns to actually adopt an anemone or vice-versa Good for you

Albert

Oh no I returned them to the tank a while ago they are slowly getting used to the whole hosting anemone thing.
Reefmaster1996
That is fast I would say as it can take a lot longer than that for clowns to actually adopt an anemone or vice-versa Good for you

Albert

Yeah I liked this method a lot , here is how i did it-I took the anemone out without talking it off it's new favorite rock, put it in a bucket with the tank water from where it was in, then I caught the clowns and put them in the 1gallon bucket and added a air stone, I let kept them in the bucket for about 45 mins and in the first five minutes they started to host the anemone, I then reintriduced them into the display tank and after swimming around a bit they look straight at the one picture of a clown hosting that i have and seem to understand and then they poke there heads into the anemones tentacles swim for a bit and they have done this all day, hopefully they will be completely hosting it soon. Also I am happy to mention that in all this process they clowns and the anemone did not stress out, and the clowns actually ate pellets in the while in the bucket!

albertthiel

Sounds good to me but not sure the pic did it ... clowns will go to anemones by instinct and I don't think the picture did it but hey ... they are where you wanted them so that is the main thing

Signing off

Albert

Yeah I liked this method a lot , here is how i did it-I took the anemone out without talking it off it's new favorite rock, put it in a bucket with the tank water from where it was in, then I caught the clowns and put them in the 1gallon bucket and added a air stone, I let kept them in the bucket for about 45 mins and in the first five minutes they started to host the anemone, I then reintriduced them into the display tank and after swimming around a bit they look straight at the one picture of a clown hosting that i have and seem to understand and then they poke there heads into the anemones tentacles swim for a bit and they have done this all day, hopefully they will be completely hosting it soon. Also I am happy to mention that in all this process they clowns and the anemone did not stress out, and the clowns actually ate pellets in the while in the bucket!

Archived