Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clownfish min tank size? 10, 20, 30?

theGil

So I was just looking at clownfish at http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquariu...ies.cfm?c=15+27, and I was getting bummed that my 12g wasn't big enough for some really rad ones, e.g., the black & white clown (20g min) and the pink skunk clown (30g min). But then I looked at http://www.saltwaterfish.com/Clownfish_c_24.html, and they have those fish listed as 10g min! What gives? And who's right??

So I was just looking at clownfish at http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquariu...ies.cfm?c=15+27, and I was getting bummed that my 12g wasn't big enough for some really rad ones, e.g., the black & white clown (20g min) and the pink skunk clown (30g min). But then I looked at http://www.saltwaterfish.com/Clownfish_c_24.html, and they have those fish listed as 10g min! What gives? And who's right??

Ultimately, those are estimates. I would keep a clown in nothing smaller than a 6-10 gallon. And that's when its small. Just keep the water pristine and perhaps provide an anemone for comfort, and I don't see why you couldn't keep one in your 12 gallon.

Ultimately, those are estimates. I would keep a clown in nothing smaller than a 6-10 gallon. And that's when its small. Just keep the water pristine and perhaps provide an anemone for comfort, and I don't see why you couldn't keep one in your 12 gallon.

It just seems lame that the range of estimated min tank sizes can make for a 300% difference :/

Also, do these numbers assume that this is the only fish in the tank?

What about mated pairs? They require twice the tank size? 12-20 gallon?

When you say, "And that's when it's small," do you mean that a 6-10g would only temporarily work for a clown, i.e., that the clown would outgrow it?

Thanks!

lgreen's beginners guide to fish (not gospel, but I find it as good a guide as any) says:

6-7g (~26.5 L) (Includes 6g Fluval Edge, 7g Minibow, 6g Eclipse, 6g CPR, 6g Nano Cube, 8g Aquawave) (1-2 fish)

Note: Keep in mind that the display area of all-in-one tanks hold less water than the total tank since some of that water is in the filtration area. When picking out fish, pick fish based on the display area volume, not the total tank volume.

All of the above plus:

-Ocellaris Clownfish (False Percula)** (1, if you want a pair, move up to 10g+)

-Percula Clownfish (True Percula)** (1, if you want a pair, move up to 10g+)

I have a 12G and was thinking about putting a small pair in there, along with a clown goby (which is so small it basically doesn't count).

lgreen's beginners guide to fish (not gospel, but I find it as good a guide as any) says:

I have a 12G and was thinking about putting a small pair in there, along with a clown goby (which is so small it basically doesn't count).

I've been thinking something similar. Although maybe the clown in my 6g. Or, now that I think about it, one clown in each the 6g and 12g, but diff colors.

Think a pair of clowns and a YWG would be too much in the 12g?

Saltwater fish.com is a pretty bad site to get information off of, and they are like used car salesman when it comes to misleading. IMO a clown will be good in a 10 gallon, no smaller, and can be paired if your biological filter can maintain it. That just about maxes you out however. Your 12 should be fine.

Adding a pair and YWg would be fine IMO, but no more. Just keep up on water params if you want coral.

Gobies hardly add to bio load when compared to clowns fwiw.

I kept a pair of occy clowns in a ten gallon. I feel that was maxed out. And thats the smallest clowns there are.

You just need enough water to cover it's gills.

+1 a pickle jar would work for a while, but fish like to swim so a 10 gallon at smallest... besides you want room for a tang :D

I agree. 10 gallon will be okay for a small pair, but that's it. Full grown ocellaris get to almost 3.5" so a 10 gallon will eventually be too small. The good news is that clowns grow quite slowly, so it would take years for them to get to full size. Most fish stores sell them between 1" and 2" so you don't have to worry about that for a long time

Saltwater fish.com is a pretty bad site to get information off of, and they are like used car salesman when it comes to misleading. IMO a clown will be good in a 10 gallon, no smaller, and can be paired if your biological filter can maintain it. That just about maxes you out however. Your 12 should be fine.

Adding a pair and YWg would be fine IMO, but no more. Just keep up on water params if you want coral.

Gobies hardly add to bio load when compared to clowns fwiw.

Oh yeah? Misleading in more ways than just the "min tank size"? They've got a lot of cool fish listed!

Any fish would be better on in a greatly maintained 10g rather then a poorley kept 100g

That def makes sense.

I kept a pair of occy clowns in a ten gallon. I feel that was maxed out. And thats the smallest clowns there are.

How big were they at the time?

I agree. 10 gallon will be okay for a small pair, but that's it. Full grown ocellaris get to almost 3.5" so a 10 gallon will eventually be too small. The good news is that clowns grow quite slowly, so it would take years for them to get to full size. Most fish stores sell them between 1" and 2" so you don't have to worry about that for a long time

That helps a lot. Maybe that's why there are diff min tank sizes listed, i.e., because diff people/dealers are talking about clowns (and other fish) at different ages/sizes(?)

I a full grown pair of B/W ocellaris clownfish in my 12 gallon nano cube.

Yeah?? Got any pics?? I'd love to see them in a 12g!

Sorry but I don't know how to upload pics. I'm getting a photobucket account soon, hopefully. They are doing quite well, they use the whole tank but they usually have a "daily hangout spot" for the day.

I love clownfish :)

Sorry but I don't know how to upload pics. I'm getting a photobucket account soon, hopefully. They are doing quite well, they use the whole tank but they usually have a "daily hangout spot" for the day.

I love clownfish :)

Photobucket for sure! That's what I've been using, and It's way easy. Just go open the account now :)

http://register.photobucket.com/

Regarding the B/W Clowns, did you buy them as a pair?

I kept a B & W Occ. in my 8g BioCube with no problems, with a green banded goby, and blue stripe pipefish.

Awesome! How big/old was he at the time? Did you get rid of him?

i have my onyx in a 5.5g, close to 6g with my HOB filter. Its about 2" and never ventures far from her frogspawn and hammer coral, about 1/4 of the tank. i bought her when she was about 1.5".

Reefmaster1996
i have my onyx in a 5.5g, close to 6g with my HOB filter. Its about 2" and never ventures far from her frogspawn and hammer coral, about 1/4 of the tank. i bought her when she was about 1.5".

I have had a formed pair of ocelaris clowns in a ten gallon no problem at all they where happy as could be.

Archived