Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

LED lighting Calculator (I update the file... um, semi-regularly)

HansRic

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
- add driver estimate tool based on actual quantities

+1

one of the top questions i get asked is about drivers

• 3 months later...
Excellent tool HansRic! Thanks, it helped me a ton!

A few ideas for future releases...

- add estimate for 24" in the TV row (consistent with Base LED section)

- add estimate for 30" in the OCW row (consistent with Base LED section)

- add actual quantity for each

- add driver estimate tool based on actual quantities

Well done!

-Chris

Quantities for the full spectrum LEDs are based on personal preference as a min and max amount, not necessarily lined up in the spreadsheet column for the water depth quantities, as may now be a bit clearer in the new calc. Mainly, the depth/LED quantity variants are for the base RD:WHT LEDs. But if you want to look at the others that way, you could just average the two Qtys out and meet somewhere in the middle.

You know, it blew me away when I found some people were recommending THAT many TV LEDs, actually! It really seemed like too many after hearing how easy it is to burn corals with them. But I put it in there. And now I see a Hyper Violet option?!? Someone clue me in on that one, please. Did some study find another hole in the spectrum that needed filling? I've only been out of the LED game for a few months.

As for the driver estimate tool... I'll have to churn on that one for awhile. I'm not a geeky electronics guy, so I have very little clue on circuit loads and such. I imagine it might be subjective for every different brand and strength.

• 2 months later...

God bless you for doing this. Seriously. I have been agonizing over a light fixture and going back and forth between compact florescent bulbs or leds. I like the look of leds much better, but finding an led fixture that can support corals and looks nice has been a logistical nightmare. And, of course, I had no idea where I should turn to understand what leds I would need to make my own light.

And then I stumbled upon this gem.

The rest is history, my friend. Thank you so much!

Now I'm off to go learn how to solder... and figure out what else I need besides the led bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost started crying at work when I found this... I’m glad no one saw me, it would have been hard to explain a grown man crying over a Excel sheet for his fishtank.

Thank you very much!

I almost started crying at work when I found this... I’m glad no one saw me, it would have been hard to explain a grown man crying over a Excel sheet for his fishtank.

Thank you very much!

I almost started crying from laughing when I read this. Probably cause I relate.

• 1 month later...

I almost started crying from laughing when I read this. Probably cause I relate.

I'm almost started crying....wait, no.

I'm just confused and I don't know what drivers I'd need or how to set it up or anything if I were to buy things from there.

• 3 months later...

So, did anyone ever build a fixture using the recommended quantities on the spreadsheet?

The min/max on the supplemental spectrum is per color, correct? I have not used any of them so I'm not familiar.

When I plug in my numbers for a 120G, I get 8 min/ 12 max but it seems like alot of leds across a 48" tank per color.

• 3 months later...

Hi. I made this back in 2009. According to the spreadsheet (awesome by the way) looks like I did it right. 6 CREE RB, and 6 CREE whites. 1000ma bucpucks with dimmers on separate power supplies. I bought optics but have since taken them off. I've also added 3 3watt UV leds that are on a separate dimmer. Slowly playing with them.

This rig started over a 5.5 tank, but now is over a 10 gal (19x12x12) tank. I am certainly seeing SPS growth around the base. Not incredibly fast growth, but this tank is less than 2 months old too. Still dialing it in. I might add 4 more RB's and 2 more whites to the outside edges to minimize dark areas on the sides of the tank The heat sink is 8.5x11x1.5 inch finns on the back with 3 3inch fans on top. Seems to be pretty cool. Here are some picts... look forward to comments and getting back into this forum so please write if you like.

DD

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

000_0146-1.jpg

100_4896.jpg

000_0056.jpg

000_0143-1.jpg

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the idiot question but the calculator give the number of leds. It is ok. But there are available a lot of leds with different lumen value so if it say 10 RB LED but witch lumen (120,200 etc?)

Thanks for the help!

It doesn't take anything like that into account.

But it is important or not?

Are there any calculator or some rule about the recommend led/area (with the lumen value?)

jedimasterben
But it is important or not?

Are there any calculator or some rule about the recommend led/area (with the lumen value?)

Yes, it does matter, as you always want to use the most efficient LEDs that you can as you will get more output for what is probably the same money.

And there is no calculator I'm aware of that does take it all into account.

But without the proper value how can you calculate the enough led? I have no money to build one just fore a probe and change always the parameters. I think the smarter ways if i can calculate the values. Or am i wrong?

jedimasterben

As long as you are using quality LEDs (Cree XT-E, XP-G2, Philips Rebel ES, Luxeon T, Luxeon M, etc) then it won't matter too much as they're all in the same ball park. Once you get away from those and start getting into LEDs from China or no-name chips, then you'll need 1.5-2.5 times as many to get the same output.

Hmm, ok I understand. So the */- 20% difference is not important. Off course I would like to use quality LEDs.

But the calculator made in 2012. From that date i think there are a lot of new leds with higher output. What do you think is the calculator up to date?

Archived