SaltCritters.com

DIY Cone Venturi Protein Skimmer

chucktdbm321

chucktdbm321

043-1.jpg

Was looking at a bunch of the latest cone skimmers and how simply their design is. The catch is as we all know these skimmers go for 200+ dollars which is hard to justify when looking at the construction of some of these skimmers. So i tried and built "very rough" model that will hopefully pull some serious skimmate. The skimmer contains a nice bubble plate and large collection cup along with a completely adjustable flow knob.

Right now it is being powerd by MJ 400 that is unmodded besides the venturi. I'm thinking that I'll be better off with a larger one and modded with a mesh wheel of some sort.

I will eventually put pics up how it works and if it produces any skimmate. Also if anyone is interested on how to construct this DIY I can put up more pics and a list of stuff needed.

Pics of it working would be great.

I'll have to try to find it, on my old computer I had a video of the simplest DIY skimmer in the world and it worked as well as any factory built that I've ever seen, costing a grand total of about 20 bucks.

chucktdbm321

Nice would love to see it. Im still toying around with ideas. I have enough material to make 4 more skimmers and would like to even make a HOB one.

ZacharySturges
thats sick man. cant wait to see how well it works.

would be cool to see a step by step on this along with materials needed

chucktdbm321

Thanks guys well after a trial run I ran into some errors...

First the MJ prop needed to be modded so i did accordingly and its making much finer bubbles. Next the skimmer leaks in water at the bottom cause of the screw cap at the bottom of the skimmer. I REALLY wanna find away to keep the bottom like that so maybe put a big O ring or silicone the #### out of it who knows but it would be really nice to keep it like that because then it makes cleaning the skimmer super easy. The overall shape and function i couldn't be more pleased with.

I will try to do my best to get pics and #### up of this but be patient with me super busy with work and fishing :P

chucktdbm321

Alright seems that i fixed up the first design going to have another test run tomorrow and see how it does. Also going to see if I can make a hob or an even more compact skimmer as well.

chucktdbm321

Going on a business trip but as I figured the return on my first build is too small so I can't get it dialed in without being pracitcally out of the water lol. Does anyone know exactly how the hydro slim skim, aquatic life mini, or the tunze 9002 work??? I can't see through the plastic or the design is really hard to grasp. I'd love to replicate one of those super small compact skimmers.

chucktdbm321

See i figured all three those are but I can't find any diagrams of any of them blown up so i can see whats to them.

Archived