Pod Your Reef

The 28 Gallon Itch

gena

Cycling is so boring :(

Omg...so true!!!!! :lol: It's worse when it's the only tank you have to look at though. I have the other 3 to keep me busy. But I really need to transfer things sooooonnn!!!!!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nevermore1701

Cycling is great, it's the only time the temptation to buy more stuff to put in there is just a hair lower :P

Cycling is great, it's the only time the temptation to buy more stuff to put in there is just a hair lower :P

This is true if you only have one tank. I have two others that I can buy things and store them in until this one is ready :lol: But....I'm really out of room in the other tanks so your theory is working for me right now :)

What I've been gone for a while and there's still nothin goin on in this tank?! Hurry it up! :P

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here's a photo I took this morning. B...O...R....I....N...G :lol:

The mp10 is new though. Well, it's not new new...just new to this tank ;)

28gfts.jpg

everyone has an MP10 but me :tears:

noob question: how long does a cycle usually take? im getting impatient with my cycle omgomgomg

nevermore1701

noob question: how long does a cycle usually take? im getting impatient with my cycle omgomgomg

No MP10 here either -_-

I find that my cycles take right about a month, though some people put stuff in in 2-3 weeks.

mp10s can be fish killers, so don't feel too bad ;) I use the foam cover on it to prevent fish deaths but that gets to be a pain because you have to clean it out often. At some point I may end up removing it. I only put it on there because of the surface scum I was getting.

I'm at 4 weeks and counting, with my cycle. I think a month is typical.

I find that my cycles take right about a month, though some people put stuff in in 2-3 weeks.

+1 though I have added things before after only 2 weeks of cycling. This current tank is a long cycle though.

• 3 weeks later...
Where'd you go Gena? :( How are things?!

I hope things are well with you! Hopefully you're just taking a little break.

Hi guys! Been a while :) Enjoying a nice long relaxing summer, for sure. I'm still alive, no worries :lol:

The tank has been through quite an ordeal though. Never could get the water chemistry thing dialed in. I attribute the whole problem to the rock. It was just not "right". The sandbed also got hard as a rock. All have been removed. The tank has been completely cleaned out. I replaced the sand with live sand. It's filled with saltwater right now...awaiting the addition of my new uncured live rock from sealifeinc.net. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

Should be here on Thursday. It's a good thing I wasn't in a huge rush to get this tank going :lol:

Because cycling is so fun, you just had to do it again!

:haha:

Hey you!!!!! No laughing at me :lol: How's that gorgeous tank of yours doing???? You know it's one of my very favorites on here. Even if you don't like it so much ;)

This cycle will be soooo much more interesting. I'm gonna have LIVE rock. Not that dead dry boring stuff :lol: This rock should have a LOT of interesting critters in it. I'll be staring at it all day long!!!!!!! Gotta get all the baddies out before my fishies go in!!!!! I really hope for no eunicids or mantis shrimp!!!!! I really can't wait to see all the hitchhikers on it. Ken from Sealife went diving today to pick out my 30# of rock. They are shipping it tomorrow and I'll have it on Thursday. How cool is that??????

Oh boy... Can't believe you had to start completely over again :( That's a pain!

It is...but like I said above. This cycle will be soooo much more interesting. I can't wait :)

how does your sand get hard? lol

hope you have better luck with the new rock, LMK how sealife inc does on the order. they have some cheap gobies that interest me :D

Mantis shrimp freak me out!

:scarry:

It's one of the things that has always kept me from buying live rock

I'm totally expecting to receive some bad stuff. I don't think they are too difficult to trap though. I guess I'll find out :)

how does your sand get hard? lol

hope you have better luck with the new rock, LMK how sealife inc does on the order. they have some cheap gobies that interest me :D

There's a technical name for it. Anarobic something or other????? I forget now.

I'll totally let you all know how the rock is when I get it. I've never had a bad experience ordering from sealifeinc. They rock :)

The last 3 tanks I've set up have all been with dead dry rock. Trust me....that was NOT fun to cycle. I can't even tell you how excited I am to have LIVE rock again.

The last time I had real LIVE rock (like I'll be getting) was when I set up my first reef tank. It was a blast to observe all the critters that came out of the rock. I'm so looking forward to that again!!!!!!!

nevermore1701

At least your live rock wasn't like mine, with hundreds of aipstasia, dozens of giant bristle worms, bits of GHA, and who knows what other nasties :P

At least your live rock wasn't like mine, with hundreds of aipstasia, dozens of giant bristle worms, bits of GHA, and who knows what other nasties :P

That doesn't sound so bad :lol: Oh my gosh...I can't wait until tomorrow :lol:

Cooking some live rock gumbo!!!!!! :lol:

Got my rock. Amazing!!!!!! So many colors and corals on this rock. Not sure they all survived though. Hopefully they will sprout out again after the cycle.

This is 30 pounds of uncured live rock from sealifeinc.net. By their suggestion, I'll be doing 20% water changes every two days for a week. My ammonia is already VERY high. The tank is cloudy...not from stirring sand, but from the decay.

I have at least two big dead worms that were hanging out of the rock. And unfortunately a red mithrax crab that didn't make it. I'm sure there's plenty of more dead critters in the crevices of this rock. Let's hope all eunicid worms and mantis shrimp are toast :lol:

Some feather dusters have been popping out, even with the high ammonia levels.

Here are some photos from this morning.

fts-4.jpg

detail5.jpg

detail4.jpg

detail3.jpg

detail2.jpg

detail7.jpg

detail6.jpg

detail.jpg

close.jpg

Day one test:

test-1.jpg

I have to say, this rock was very well packed. I don't think I've ever received a package of live rock that didn't have a wet box. The packaging was very well done by sealifeinc!!!!

nice rock, looks like you got some nice macro algae and a porites coral :)

I did! Thanks!

Very cool, hope your cycle goes smoothly!

Me too :) So far, this looks like the kind of cycle I'm used to. No more fake rock for me ;)

Did a 20% water change just now. I'll do another on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Then I should be able to just let it do it's thing.

Archived