Top Shelf Aquatics

Plate Coral Lovin'

Psychosis

Well, most people have, or at least have owned, a Plate coral. Is it because they walk? Is it because they look cool? Is it because they feed similarly to the Pit Monster from Star Wars?

I'd like to say yes on all counts. I find myself trying to find more and more as time goes by, instead of my interests shifting as it often does with other live stock. Something about the texture, the coloration, and the rows of hungry feeders just perks my interest.

So, this is my Official Plate Coral Picture Dump thread. What's crawling around your sand bed?

20120527_215835.jpg

I know my Pinwheel doesn't look spectacular at the moment. At the very bottom of the Plate you'll notice a patch with out feeders...kind of had a run in with a flying St.Thomas. It's recovering nicely, and is accepting food, but hasn't begun fully expanding to his former glory just yet. Top of the shot is my newly aquired and dubbed "Joker Plate," in the tank a whole day as of this posting. It is incredibly dense, at least an inch tall at the mouth, and quickly becoming my show piece. Bottom right is my Orange Plate, which has grown 1/3rd larger since purchase in March.

I love my freakin' plates. Need more sand bed.

20120527_215858.jpg

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, now that's what I'm talking about! Nice collection man. When did that skeleton start popping of new plates? I've heard of plate factories, but I didn't think it was literally 20+ at a time.

On a side note, this particular piece is on my bucket list. I say bucket list because, if I bought it, the pretty half would kill me.

http://areefcreation.com/catalog/index.php...products_id=214

eddiecorrea
See, now that's what I'm talking about! Nice collection man. When did that skeleton start popping of new plates? I've heard of plate factories, but I didn't think it was literally 20+ at a time.

On a side note, this particular piece is on my bucket list. I say bucket list because, if I bought it, the pretty half would kill me.

http://areefcreation.com/catalog/index.php...products_id=214

Man up and do it. :D hahaha

Here's another I'd also really like.

http://www.saltcritters.com/wysiwyg-fungia-531/

Fair warning, I don't think they're charging extra for it's guts.

They have that pink one, but of the two I'd really like this. Oh, and if any one on this thread has a plate that's passed on but is still randomly spitting out other plates, I'd be happy to rehome them for you as well *cough.*

It took roughly 2 or 3 months till it started and from what I hear its the norm. Last I counted thier are 50 babies. They will pop off and walk away and a new one will start to grow where the old one popped off, Hence plate factory.

I have been to a reef creations. Thier store rocks. All thier stock is high end and nothing but quality.

Next one I wanna get is a pink. Best place I found them is http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDeta...1351&cid=54

would also take this one. Just need someone to buy it for me. http://www.saltcritters.com/wysiwyg-super-rare-pink-finagia/

Meh, between that $500 pink and the $400 sundial, you know where my money is going. Nice find on those pink plates from bluezoo though, a small one sounds very nice. I've never actually browsed there site before.

Did you check out Saltcritters other plates? They have one other pinwheel I'd really like, and for $35 you can't top it.

Oh yea, any ideas on a what species the new "Joker" plate is? The feeders appear odd; I don't see the general ball on the end, or the texture the others have. I'd say they're rather squat as well, but it may just not be completly open.

Nice looking plates you guys have here. I used to have one of the orange ones. If I was to get another, I'd go long tentacle. They really are gorgeous!!!!!

My favorite is your longer tentacle green one, psychosis!

Why thank you gena, it's really growing on me as well. I'll tell you, that thing can eat. I actually worry about small fish around it...them I feed it more mysis and the moment passes.

Just make sure to stay away from Heliofungia, they have a really atrocious survival rate in captivity.

Why thank you gena, it's really growing on me as well. I'll tell you, that thing can eat. I actually worry about small fish around it...them I feed it more mysis and the moment passes.

Just make sure to stay away from Heliofungia, they have a really atrocious survival rate in captivity.

You're welcome :) Is your green one considered a short tentacle? I didn't know that about the heliofungia...thanks for the heads up. If I have room in my new tank, I may look for a solid purple plate, since the other has a poor survival rate.

Mine would be considered a short tentacle, all though I haven't made a positive ID on what species it is.

The current theory is that heliofungia sp. come from Lagoons with very high nutrient levels, and that this is hard to replicate in an aquarium (especially a really low nutrient dedicated reef display.) Any small amount of damage a Heliofungia sustains is generally fatal, and even if you're careful to the point of paranoia with it, they frequently just whither and die with in a few short months.

Edit: That said, I wish yours the best of health GHill. Make sure to keep that bad boy fed!

jedimasterben

Just keep them to where nothing can fall on them and make sure they are well fed and they should be fine. I know of several people that have kept heliofungia plates for several years now in low nutrient systems.

If it does sustain any damage, iodine or "revive" dips are mandatory for even a slight chance of survival.

Long tentacle plates are the reason I am getting a shallow tank with a large footprint. I have a long tentacle and a short tentacle at the moment, and I would love to get more.

I've heard a few accounts of LT plates being kept long term, but I wouldn't attempt it unless you've mastered the turkey baster. In my mind they're the same as Elegance or Gonipora (success rates are slowly climbing with those how ever) coral in that regard.

That said, I'm going to attempt one once I have a larger build, kept on the same feeding regiment as my NPS. I'm still not entirely confident that will be enough though, I've seen a lot of dead or dying LT plates in my time.

Where are those pics ben?

DansTundra
Very nice! Is that an orange and yellow pinwheel?

The orange one on the right was sold to me as a sunset. When I got it home under my LED's it had white stripes

jedimasterben
I've heard a few accounts of LT plates being kept long term, but I wouldn't attempt it unless you've mastered the turkey baster. In my mind they're the same as Elegance or Gonipora (success rates are slowly climbing with those how ever) coral in that regard.

That said, I'm going to attempt one once I have a larger build, kept on the same feeding regiment as my NPS. I'm still not entirely confident that will be enough though, I've seen a lot of dead or dying LT plates in my time.

Where are those pics ben?

I'll throw some up on here once I get to my laptop. You can search for my post on the other plate coral thread and see pics of my long tentacle plates.

DSC02023.jpg

mine from a long time ago before i could keep coral, unfortunately this one died. I may pick up another however my sand bed is already cluttered with brains and acans and blastos :/ an orange one however would look phenomenal under my leds

eddiecorrea

I'm contemplating getting a small one for my 8gal. Make it kinda my showpiece in the tank until it outgrows the tank. I love the look and colors.

I had no idea we had another plate thread. I actually searched for it before hand to be sure. My skillz are lacking these days.

Catbus, that was a nice plate. You should really give another a try. It may or may not be obvious, but I really think they're worth the time. My orange glows much more than I can capture, it actually tints the rock behind it orange when the bulbs are on full swing.

Come on eddie, like you really even have to think about it. Buy that Sundial plate so I'm no longer tempted by it's glory.

Archived