SaltCritters.com

30 Gallon Shallow Cube

cdunson82

After some events in life I had to sell my 75 gallon rimless that I had up and running for a while because I was going onto the third floor of an apartment. After two months of no tank I started going nuts and decided to build a new one. After seeing Darth Waders build I knew that was the tank I wanted to have, and now I decided to do my first build thread with it. I would like to hear all criticism on what you think or what I should do differently. Thank you for looking.

I am currently going through the cycle. My Parameters are:

Salinity: 1.026

Temp: 79

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrites: .25ppm

Nitrates: ~60ppm

Hardware -

Tank: Deep Blue RR 30 Gallon "Mini Frag" tank dimensions 24"x24"x12"

Stand: Deep Blue Stand

Light: AI SOL Super Blue in Black with controller

Skimmer: SC-65

Return Pump: Rio 1700

Rocks: Marco Rocks

Intended Livestock -

Fish: Snowflake Clownfish, Midas Blenny and Orcid Dottyback

Coral: SPS Dominate

Now for the pictures:

When I first got it home -

3.jpg

The aquascape I decided on -

8.jpg

AI Sol and controller -

16.jpg

Skimmer -

25.jpg

Everything filled, water cleared and first time turning on the light (I still need to paint the conduit piping I am using for the light but not sure if I like it) -

17.jpg

Skimmer in action -

27.jpg

And a picture of the tank today filled with diatoms -

30.jpg

29.jpg

28.jpg

Thank you again for looking and let me know what you think.

• Like 1

Thank you I appreciate it. I would def recommend getting it, especially for the price. There aren't a lot of companies that make this size tank in bulk so most of the time you have to get them custom made which could cost a lot.

thegambler26

Looks awesome! If you shortened your light stand and attached your light directly to it you could then zip tie the cables to it. Once painted and zip tied it makes a much cleaner look. U might like that better.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyones comments, as per the light I am still deciding. I am about to purchase a house so I am thinking of possibly doing a hanging kit. But we shall see.

Updates on the tank.......I have to say that cycling with Marco Rocks take a lot longer than I am used to.

SG: 1.025

Temp: 78

Nitrites: .25ppm

Nitrates: 40 ppm

I am hoping that the cycle will soon be done but until then it is still a waiting game.

Yea but its for a good cause.......gets me out of the apartment I am in and into my own house. The worst part is I am on the third floor.

Deleted User 4
Yea but its for a good cause.......gets me out of the apartment I am in and into my own house. The worst part is I am on the third floor.

Ughhh, more heavy lifting and walking.....Well congrats on getting the new house. Hope all is well with you and your family. :D

Thank you for the kind words. So a quick update, nothing really excited except for there being an end in sight. Parameters:

PH: 7.8

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 20ppm

Now all I need is my Nitrate to go away.

I also just noticed the question about stocking. I am not sure yet, the only thing I am sure about is a pair of Snowflake Clowns. I would love to hear everyones suggestions on what to stock in the tank.

Deleted User 4
Thank you for the kind words. So a quick update, nothing really excited except for there being an end in sight. Parameters:

I also just noticed the question about stocking. I am not sure yet, the only thing I am sure about is a pair of Snowflake Clowns. I would love to hear everyones suggestions on what to stock in the tank.

Nice!! Here on nano-reef under the Livestock Classifieds. Fisheye Aqua Culture is selling snowflakes for just $75 including free shipping. You should check it out, here it is Snowflakes $75 Free Shipping

Nitrate will not go away... its time for another water change! your cycle is done :)

Is that a dry rock thing? The last three tanks I did with live rock never had lingering nitrates? Is it something that leeches off the rock? I know that trace nitrates are bad when it comes to acros, should I be concerned?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

What's going on here? I did a search and was like 'oh cool it's a new Deep Blue 30 build' and realized I was the last one who posted. lol

Archived