inTank Media Baskets

Easy Starfish Suggestions

colbertbr

In my new tank I really want to add a Starfish. I'm new at SW and other than some very small HH's that I never see, I've never owned a Starfish.

Any suggestions on an easy to keep starfish that isn't going to be all the time?

Bongo Shrimp
In my new tank I really want to add a Starfish. I'm new at SW and other than some very small HH's that I never see, I've never owned a Starfish.

Any suggestions on an easy to keep starfish that isn't going to be all the time?

I suggest a serpent star of some kind. Just be sure it is not green or huge because those are not reef safe. The other ones can be quite forgiving and pretty easy to care for.

DO NOT get a linkia or fromia star as they are common in the trade but can be very hard to care for even for the seasoned reefer.

if you have a nano the only starfish that are truly suitable are asterinas (tiny HHs) and brittle/serpent stars

I recommend either the nano red brittle star or the nano serpent star from Sealife Inc. I have several of each, and they're great little starfish. They're the perfect size for a nano tank and they're really easy to care for as they come out during feeding time and scavenge for food. They don't need to be spot fed and won't starve in a small tank like many of the other types of starfish. Several people on here have the same starfish from Sealife Inc and that company gets great reviews from N-R members. Also, the starfish qualify for priority shipping, which is only $14. I've ordered priority mail from them twice, and everything arrived alive and healthy both times. They also tend to throw in freebies with your order.

Wow, I've never heard if those. They seem cool. How do you think a clam would hold up with a red one in the tank though?

Wow, I've never heard if those. They seem cool. How do you think a clam would hold up with a red one in the tank though?

The description on the website doesn't mention if they are compatible with clams. I know they are completely reef safe, and I doubt they'd intentionally hurt a clam, but they might annoy it if they climbed over it a lot. You could send the owners of SeaLife Inc an e-mail and ask about it. I bet they know how they get along with clams.

Oh I thought you meant like micro brittle stars.

I thought he meant that as well. Poor reading comprehension on my part. :D

I have had one of those pink serpent stars for probably close to two years now in a 12GA AIO. It is a good scavenger, and has been a model citizen as far as I can tell.

I will say that the two times I tried to introduce limpet snails into the tank, the serpent star pre-scavenged them. I don't buy those snails anymore.

if you have a nano the only starfish that are truly suitable are asterinas (tiny HHs) and brittle/serpent stars

OOPS! I have a sand-sifting star in mine!

Archived