Innovative Marine Aquariums

ReefBuilders gives a sneak peek at new Radion lens

kgoldy

ReefBuilders -TIR Lens for Radion LED provides up to 30% more light in the aquarium <- Click for more pics

tir-lens-radion-6.jpg

The TIR Lens for the Radion LED light is a new lens cluster from Ecotech Marine which gives the Radion XR30w a lot more depth penetration in the aquarium. Ecotech Marine’s TIR Lens is designed with Total Internal Reflection (TIR) with an unspecified beam angle, but more with purpose of getting a good light spread at 30 inches deep, over a 24″ square area.

The Radion TIR Lens is easily swapped out with the current common reflector, also replacing the current splash lens. INterestingly enough, the Radion TIR Lens includes four more lenses than there are LEDs in the Radion which is a sure fire sign that new LED cluster will be coming down the pipe with more LEDs, perhaps taking advantage of the six channels of color control already baked into the Radion.

Ecotech worked very hard to make the Radion TIR Lens retain its very wide light distribution, so if you get a TIR lens for your Radion you can expect the same spread, with more intensity all over. Pricing for the Radion TIR Lens will be announced after Ecotech returns from Germany and you can expect easy upgrade through the Ecotech parts store as we have seen in the past when the Ecosmart and other accessories were launched.

I'm hitting them up on the EcoTech Community website for more followup info.

After drinking some coffee, the following stands out-

Ecotech worked very hard to make the Radion TIR Lens retain its very wide light distribution, so if you get a TIR lens for your Radion you can expect the same spread, with more intensity all over.

Same spread, just greater intensity. So basically, they'll be charging us to "upgrade" the light to what it should have been when it was released anyway. Booo.

Ecotech worked very hard to make the Radion TIR Lens retain its very wide light distribution, so if you get a TIR lens for your Radion you can expect the same spread, with more intensity all over.

That doesn't make much sense at all. You're going to lose spread in order to gain intensity without adding additional LEDs or upping the power.

Now you'll probably just get the spread they were advertising before- in other words, what we have now is a wider and weaker than advertised.

Depending on how the pricing goes for this (the lens) and the new cluster... I have a feeling I'm going to be dumping my Radions to go for something else. I gained a lot of respect for AI watching how they deal with early adopters when upgrades come out and prices drop. I don't expect EcoTech to do the same.

That doesn't make much sense at all. You're going to lose spread in order to gain intensity without adding additional LEDs or upping the power.

Not true.. anything the led is throwing out at greater than 90 degrees or so is either hitting the water at a shallow angle and reflecting off or going out the space between the light and the tank and hence not contributing to light intensity inside the tank. If you can take all the leds output and distribute it as evenenly as possible within 90 degrees you will have maximum spread and intensity

It looks to me like they added 4 more white lights to that new lens? Yes?

There are no LEDs under those four "white" ones. That's why they have no color.

Spirofucci
There are no LEDs under those four "white" ones. That's why they have no color.

If those are not LEDs then what are they?

Now you'll probably just get the spread they were advertising before- in other words, what we have now is a wider and weaker than advertised.

Depending on how the pricing goes for this (the lens) and the new cluster... I have a feeling I'm going to be dumping my Radions to go for something else. I gained a lot of respect for AI watching how they deal with early adopters when upgrades come out and prices drop. I don't expect EcoTech to do the same.

This is making the assumption that there is 100% refraction and no reflection in the current lens. I honestly don't know if this is safe to assume or not. It is possible that the current lens is inefficient and reflects/absorbs some light. Seems like 30% would be much too high of an increase to account for wit this explanation, however.

Not true.. anything the led is throwing out at greater than 90 degrees or so is either hitting the water at a shallow angle and reflecting off or going out the space between the light and the tank and hence not contributing to light intensity inside the tank. If you can take all the leds output and distribute it as evenenly as possible within 90 degrees you will have maximum spread and intensity

This is a good point too.

If those are not LEDs then what are they?

Sockets in the lens for the 4 additional LEDs that will be coming with the first cluster upgrade.

M@rine_lover
Sockets in the lens for the 4 additional LEDs that will be coming with the first cluster upgrade.

They might add in Ultra Violet, Actinic Violet or True violet to stay competitive in LED market.

They might add in Ultra Violet, Actinic Violet or True violet to stay competitive in LED market.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

Archived