Pod Your Reef

Still no traces of Ammonia, Nitrites or Nitrates

sixtyin3

Over 2 weeks my tank (JBJ NC28) has been up and running. I started with RO\DI water, 25lbs of CaribSea live sand, 25lbs of base rock and 7-8lbs of good cured live rock from the LFS. I transported the rock home in a plastic bag with no water, sure to get some die off since it was out of water for 90 minutes or so. Nope, nothing, notta.

Against my better judgement, I got anxious and added a pair of baby Clowns to the tank after I saw no traces of Ammonia, Nitrites or Nitrates for 2 days. I let them be for a 4-5 days, still nothing showing up. I was beginning to get a little worried, no cycle showing up on the test kits. So I pushed my luck a little bit more, added a cleaner shrimp and 2 days later a Porcelain crab. Waited a few more days, checking the water every day, nothing was showing up! The diatoms and and algae bloom started around day 10.

I got in touch with John @ Reef Cleaners (GREAT service with that place!) and ordered what I thought was a small CUC at the time. In between ordering and arrival of the CUC, I did a 5 gal water change (roughly 20%) just to be on the safe side. Then the CUC arrived. What John sent was an army. I got a ton of snails, in fact probably way too way. They went right to work on the algae. So now it been over 2 weeks, the tank has live stock still haven't seen any Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrates. I added a pair of Firefish today. I'll be watching the water like a hawk, buckets ready to change it out if things change for the worst. So far, knock on wood, I haven't lost anything and my param's are still all 0.

What's the deal? No cycle from the CaribSea live sand and small amount of LR? I didn't even see a spike when the rock went back into the water after being out for 90 minutes. I am going to slow it down big time on adding things (probably 1 or 2 more fish going in total anyway), I have already pushed my luck big time I think.

Thanks,

Steve

What tests are you using?

It may just be that ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate just never got high enough to register on the tests. Having a diatom bloom is an indication that your tank has cycled.

I am using API kits, I'd have to order Salifert. I don't think anyone stocks them. I may get Salifert for Calc and Mag as I plan on getting some coral down the road.

Your nitrate may never get high enough to show up on the API test kits. The first colour change for the ELOS nitrate test is at 1. I have had results on the API ammonia and nitrite.

Maybe you just got lucky. :)

• 9 years later...

I keep waking up these old threads🤣 But I'm trying not to create the same threads.lol Anywho, same happened with me, I think I skipped a cycle 🤞

With my first ever tank 9 years ago I'll be honest, I added Biospira from IO, live sand, wet live rock and added my clown. Never checked anything. I have read through so many articles since then because I want to finally get my corals started and got a bigger tank. I decided to test this time after adding a bacteria start. It's a 40 gallon AIO cube with 40lb live sand(I really really wanted a goby so deep sandbed was a must) and 40lb "life" rock with a large piece of live rock encrusted with coralline from my established 20 gallon. I also used 3 gallons of waste water from changing out water in my established and squeezed out the foam from it into the water column. By day 4 with lights on a cycle, I noticed diatoms, tested and everything was at 0. After 6 days, I used a bacteria start. I used microbacter. After reading the directions, I realized I was supposed to add fish at the same time as it, oops. Diatoms even more now. Everything still 0🤨 Well, I guess I'll add more bacteria starter and go get some fish. Added a Pajama cardinal and some coral. Shortly after, ended up having to add the goby I put in my established tank to the new 40 because my dottyback decided to be a bully when he had been so nice to the other new fish I had added after him. Then had to add my giant peppermint shrimp over too because they wanted to eat the Rock Flower anemone. That one was an impulse buy and I really didn't think it would be a problem. Yesterday was day 9 after start up,  levels are all still 0 with lots and lots of diatoms. Just as a precaution I got Biospira and added all of it. I hope it was ok to introduce all of that bacteria😬

It took 3 days for the goby to finally eat some frozen but he hasn't seemed interested in all of the diatoms on the sand. I ordered chaeto and live copepods because I plan on setting up a mini refugium in the back of my AIO. I really want my goby to thrive. I'm hoping I'll get them to reproduce so I can add in my other tank as well. Everyone is doing wonderful, the coral look great even after decreasing the white spectrum to help with the diatoms. So, did I pretty much skip a cycle because of seeding it with so much? I haven't done a water change yet but plan on it Wednesday which would be almost two weeks after initial start up.

On 1/10/2022 at 7:40 AM, tviquez10 said:

I keep waking up these old threads🤣

There's nothing wrong with this – nobody gets hurt 😉 – but you'll get better resonses in your own thread.  

(EDIT:  You have better editing capabilities on your own thread.)

Not to mention that your post and replies here are going to be "lost to history" a soon as folks stop posting here.  There's really no good reason to zombie a thread.

If you open your own thread, you can post a link here and tag me (@mcarroll) in the comment (if you want) after you open it.

• Like 2