Cultivated Reef

how to convince people that their are 10 gallon reefs and they are not 1000

Reret10

So at the LFS the the day that i was getting my 10 gallon nano reef the dude convinced my mom that ten gallon nano reefs were non existant for normal people to have and that the least that you can have coral in is a 40 gallon setup and it will cost more than 1500 dollars so my mom said no to that so how do i get her to let me get a 10 gallon nano reef. I have 200 dollares for the setup so far and that number is still increasing their is a tank tat has everything minus the lighting for 91$ at the lfs if i get the tank how much will lighting cost for only mushrooms and zoas amd maybe a small sps coral and i understand that this will cost up to 800 dollars depending on what iw will get so i am cool with that all i need is my mom to know that it is possable because i keep telling her and she just says the pet store guy said 40 gallons

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3874130[/url]']

So at the LFS the the day that i was getting my 10 gallon nano reef the dude convinced my mom that ten gallon nano reefs were non existant for normal people to have and that the least that you can have coral in is a 40 gallon setup and it will cost more than 1500 dollars so my mom said no to that so how do i get her to let me get a 10 gallon nano reef. I have 200 dollares for the setup so far and that number is still increasing their is a tank tat has everything minus the lighting for 91$ at the lfs if i get the tank how much will lighting cost for only mushrooms and zoas amd maybe a small sps coral and i understand that this will cost up to 800 dollars depending on what iw will get so i am cool with that all i need is my mom to know that it is possable because i keep telling her and she just says the pet store guy said 40 gallons

Show her this website

what do i say

she will get mad and say these are people that are experianced aquariets or something but thanks i should have thought of that

Well firstly you could perhaps find a guy who lives near you to say otherwise, like give you and your mom a tour of his nano-reef. Mentioning that many fish stores are inherently evil is one idea, but I doubt she will buy that.

You could simply keep a "nemo" (or evil blue damsel) in a 10 gallon tank, do base rock and keep it dirt cheap. Then after a month or two buy a PAR38 LED light or such, and finally add a frag of some idiot proof coral to ensure your success. After your mom has confidence add more frags :)

I was 16 when I started, my parents doubted me but I spent the $800 for an aquapod24, LR, and all the trimmings. It was my money and they let me spend it. It was something sensible not various things like video games that have degenerative qualities.

The biggest key is to be respectful to adults, no matter who they are or how they act. Don't push, poke, prod or otherwise be a stereotypical teen.

u can buy a pretty good used set up on craigs list for $200...my son got a bc29 (2-36w pc lights, great for many softies, zoas and lps) with sand, rocks and all the stuff this guy had accumulated for $200...i have over 30 corals in my 10g. and room for more...i have about 450 into it..not really an afdvanced aquarist, just have gone real slow..saltwater does force u to be involved in your tank or u will definitely fail

i wuld but my mom would be sooo suspicious because she knows that i dont do it for the fish. she would be like uuuuuhh ok well you had a change of heart and then when i buy the light she will be like whats that for and then she will get sooooo mad if i get a coral because honestly she is a marine paliantologest and when she talked to a marine biologest about the 40 gallon tank the the marine biologest said nope 14 year olds cant have 40 gallon reefs it is too hard so now i will email the maaine biologest and say what about a ten gallon nano reef and i bet if she says that is cool my mom will let me get it but the problem is i dont know if the marine biologest will say it is cool so i have refrence when i tell her because this marine biolagest is a good friend of hers and if the marine biologest says no then no is the answer for the next 2 years

what do i say

she will get mad and say these are people that are experianced aquariets or something but thanks i should have thought of that

Lmao. Tell her to meet up with someone on here. Half of us arent even experienced/ advanced at tying our own shoes.

Inform her that 10 gallons are the perfect starter tank, and direct her to the library on these forums. Good information to just get a taste/ get your feet wet.

Talk to Euphyllia on here. He is only like, 4 th grade or somthing. ( idk, he's little)

Check out his tank thread and show your mom his pictures and shtuff. Iball( rallz beef) is another young reefer, albeit a little older than you.

ok i will. tomarrow i will tell her in am email so she cant get mad at me. i will say that i dont get why he said 40 gallons and say that if you look on this website (then put the url) it will show that TONS of people have nano and even pico reefs

As a matter of fact, there is a tank thread on here that was made for the sole purpose of proving a "Professional" wrong when they were told that a nano reef was fake and nobody could actually keep them. I anyone finds it before me, post it here.

first show her this post

Dear Reret 10's mom,

the lfs would much rather you spend $1500 than $200. and 9 out of 10 lfs dont know there butt from a hole in the ground. This hobby is not complicated with a little research and none of us are experts. there are 12 year olds on here with tanks under 5 gallons. So please believe your son and not the fish store guy.

as for lights check out aquatraders.com

this is what i would get LINK this is enough light to keep any sps or clam you could want in a ten gallon. so softies would be no problem.

Aqua Clear 70 $40.00, LEDTRIC PAR 38 LAMP $100.00, Desk lamp $15.00, 10lbs live sand $10.00, 5lbs L/R $25.00, 10g tank $15.00, Marineland Visi-Therm Deluxe Submersible Heater 25 Watt $15.00, Filter Floss $5.00, Chemipure Elite $7.00= $232.00............. leaves $18.00 for water and whatever little extras you need before you hit $250.00. That should get you started! Not sure what you were talking $800 for, that's way more than you need to do a 10g tank.

if you find it i should show it to my mom (:

My tank in my sig is a 10 gallon. A very natural an cheap set up also. You can have her check that out if you would like.

devilsadvocate
i wuld but my mom would be sooo suspicious because she knows that i dont do it for the fish. she would be like uuuuuhh ok well you had a change of heart and then when i buy the light she will be like whats that for and then she will get sooooo mad if i get a coral because honestly she is a marine paliantologest and when she talked to a marine biologest about the 40 gallon tank the the marine biologest said nope 14 year olds cant have 40 gallon reefs it is too hard so now i will email the maaine biologest and say what about a ten gallon nano reef and i bet if she says that is cool my mom will let me get it but the problem is i dont know if the marine biologest will say it is cool so i have refrence when i tell her because this marine biolagest is a good friend of hers and if the marine biologest says no then no is the answer for the next 2 years

lol your mom sounds like a pita. i made my first reef tank when i was 14, granted looking back now i have no idea how anything survived. but honestly, with a lot of research and commitment a great reef is totally reachable.

also, im 16 and have a 40 gallon, so dont be discouraged by age.

knowlage is power and i must have some power because i have wanted a reef tank since i was five and i have done reaserch every time i am not doing homework on my laptop

devilsadvocate
knowlage is power and i must have some power because i have wanted a reef tank since i was five and i have done reaserch every time i am not doing homework on my laptop

lack of research is the biggest down fall of people in this hobby.

coool but did yo save up for the 40 gallon tank because when your my age a job is not tooo easy and the other problem is we go away for the summer and well my dad says that i can get some more pets if i find out what to do while i am in engaland the australia the new york so all summer we are gone every year and well moving a 40 gallon reef tank is impossable for a kid my age. i have a bearded dragon a leopard gecko a 10 gallon freashwater a goldfish a cat and a betta fish and next year a jellyfish tank and hopefully a ten gallon nano reef

1. I would recommend using correct punctuation, grammar and spelling if you choose to post.

2. Check my thread. I'm 16 and have a custom 9 gallon tank. If you choose to make a tank (much cheaper than buying retail) I'll give you some pointers.

3. Make sure you get all your questions answered here and NOT from your LFS. They obviously have no idea about anything about the nano world.

Archived