Innovative Marine Aquariums

small red coral with mouth id

nic876

hi all,

Found this attached to my glass this morning, i think it was opened up before the lights went on but has retracted since. you can see in the photo it is turned inwards, you can also see the mouth.

Anyways it has finally dettached from the glass and drifted over to the rocks, maybe trying to get back into the dark?

Any ideas what this is? Will feel daft if its just a mushroom on its travels lol.

post-50941-1336315467_thumb.jpg

post-50941-1336315476_thumb.jpg

The one behind is a mushroom, I know that much lol.

Its the little one in front. Pretty sure its a beadlet anemone, google searches have brought up something looking very similar if not identical. its opened up now, looking pretty happy attached to the base of the rock.

post-50941-1336322685_thumb.jpg

Never heard of them before, but did a quick search. Apparently they multiply as quickly as aptasia and depending where your rock is from, may need colder water. Just a heads up.

yea done a bit of reading myself. slightly worried lol. either they perish due to high temps or they mulitply and release lots of fully formed, tiny babies around your tank that will sting pretty much anything that touches it. that plus they can move around, makes me a little nervous.

The one behind is a mushroom, I know that much lol.

Its the little one in front. Pretty sure its a beadlet anemone, google searches have brought up something looking very similar if not identical. its opened up now, looking pretty happy attached to the base of the rock.

post-50941-1336322685_thumb.jpg

They look pretty cool.

They look pretty cool.

That they do. Was pretty excited I found him, really cute and has a gorgeous bold red colour to it. But it seems the nice freebies are usually trouble lol

Archived