SaltCritters.com

Red slime algae-What eats it?

Pjanssen

Is there a critter that specifically eats red slime? I know there are some additives out there that are suppose to get rid of it, but I'd rather not go that route if I don't have to. I'm working on getting the water params under control, doing 20% WC every other day. PO is finally at zero, Nitrates are lower, but still hovering between 5-10. Corals are looking better, but I really want to get rid of the ugly red slime. I currently have 1 red leg hermit, 1 blue leg hermit, a few of ceriths and a couple of nassarius snails.

Any suggestions?

And on a lighter note...We had mussels for dinner last night, I saved one and minced it up to feed to my tank this morning. I think it must be Christmas!

Try lowering your light intensity. It took me a month of frequent water changes, running gfo, lightening feeding and lowering light intensity. Now my sand bed is perfect and haven't seen any cyano in over a month.

It looks like your tank is in front of a window? I would bet that is the cause.. as well as the stuff stated earlier: Do Less feeding, Less light, More flow. I battle it off and on. I stupidly set my tank up across from a window and my girlfriend opens the blinds when I'm not looking! (She does this because she secretly hates me!!) Conchs eat it but don't get one no matter who tries to sell you it. there is not enough sand in that 5 gal long.. and anyway I think it is light. Are you using Chemipure Elite? Elite has GFO in it I believe. Also I like your setup. Very unique I love it! :D

It looks like your tank is in front of a window? I would bet that is the cause.. as well as the stuff stated earlier: Do Less feeding, Less light, More flow. I battle it off and on. I stupidly set my tank up across from a window and my girlfriend opens the blinds when I'm not looking! (She does this because she secretly hates me!!) Conchs eat it but don't get one no matter who tries to sell you it. there is not enough sand in that 5 gal long.. and anyway I think it is light. Are you using Chemipure Elite? Elite has GFO in it I believe. Also I like your setup. Very unique I love it! :D

Thanks for the compliment :)

The tank in question is not the 5 gallon shown in my picture. That one is still cycling after I redid the rock work. I have a 10 gallon that was suppose to be a temporary home to everything while I worked on the 5 gallon. It is tucked into a wall unit with no direct sunlight. Yes, I run chemipure elite, but maybe it doesn't have enough gfo in it? or maybe it needs to be replaced? I try to feed my tank less, but hubby likes watching the fish eat, especially the clown that will eat out of your fingers. I think he feeds them every time he walks by :D ! Okay, I won't get a conch no matter what! Why?

The sand bed of the 5 gallon is about 2 inches, it goes deeper than you see. Do you think I need more than that?

Thanks again for the help and the compliment. I'm excited to start restocking the 5 gallon again, hopefully soon.

I think he feeds them every time he walks by

Might be part of the problem.

suck it out

feed less

frequent water changes

Might be part of the problem.

suck it out

feed less

frequent water changes

Probably an exaggeration on the feeding every time...He understand now though, and I let him feed the fish a small amount once a day. I think its coming under control now, less to suck out this morning than yesterday. Cleaned filter yesterday. Will do a water change again today. replacing chemipure elite too if LFS has it in stock. I've ordered some on line, but it won't be here till end of the week. Thanks for the help.

DreTheReefer
Awoke this morning to a significant decrease in cyno :) Guess the cortez hermits are working.

I noticed the se when I had a cyno problem always less in the morning and more before lights out. Syphon it out with airline tubing when doing small water changes. I was doing 1 gallon at a time 1-2 times a day with a few days of 0 light should help. Good luck.

You were right Dre. After only an hour with lights on, cyno is back. Siphoned what I could out .10% WC. Guess if I can't get it under control with frequent water changes, I'll have to try a phos sponge. Although phosphates are less than 5, so not sure that would be causing the cyno bloom. Also in an area that gets lots of flow, so I'm at a loss. For now its daily 10% water changes.

Question: besides being ugly, is it dangerous to my tank inhabitants? Just asking so I know how aggressive I need to be.

sageblade24

I found that if its not that voracious to just let it run its course. I once had a variety of red slime and the yellow powder red slime remover was not working. If i tried removing manually it would only spread when it dissolved into many small pieces.

After everything I tried I just left it alone to only have it shrink and dissapear after a week or two. The algae exists for a reason whether too much nutrients in the water or whatever it may be but once its purpose for being in the tank is gone or when it eats all of the specific material its after, it leaves with it.

The tank in question is not the 5 gallon shown in my picture....Okay, I won't get a conch no matter what! Why?

Sorry I thought we were talking about the 5 gallon in the picture. I didn't think there would be enough sand for a conch in that tank in the pic is the only reason.

altolamprologus

I've had red slime come and go multiple times without me changing anything. If it's only a small amount, just do an extra water change and wait it out.

That said, when I first setup my angler tank, I got a little bit of cyano and diatoms on the sand that refused to go away so I borrowed a sand sifting star from the LFS. He cleaned up the sandbed in a couple weeks so I returned him and the cyano has never returned. That's an option if your LFS will let you rent one. Don't keep it though, it will starve if left there too long.

Other than that, I've found dwarf ceriths really like cyano, but you have to have large numbers of them to really do anything.

I saw a great decrease in cyano when I added Caluerpa to my sump. I have a chamber holding chaeto and the other holding caluerpa. After a few days, I saw a drastic decrease.. I dont know if the macro-algae had a lot to do with it, but the addition of it, plus the frequent water changes, lower light intensity, and less feeding portions has worked wonders.

Thanks everybody. I've ordered a second powerhead (Koralia 425), and larger HOB filter (AC 110) to replace the AC30. These were planned upgrades anyway. Hoping to turn the AC110 into a Fuge. Feeding less (my fish are mad!) and turning the lights on 2-4 hours less. That with daily 10% water changes, and a couple extra snails and hermits, and hopefully it goes away sooner rather than later.

Sorry I thought we were talking about the 5 gallon in the picture. I didn't think there would be enough sand for a conch in that tank in the pic is the only reason.

No problem. I really should start a thread for my 10 gallon. It started off as just being temporary housing while I redid the rock work in my scuba tank. I'm liking it though, and decided to keep it. I'm still doing some research though. I may add a small chiller and turn it into a more temperate tank.

Archived